Why I’m Quitting Keto - A Post For Myself

Also interested in the SSRI link and the OCD thing. I, too, have OCD and am on SSRIs. I am on a very low dose though, and people usually need much more than me to control their OCD. That being said, my OCD is not “controlled”, but it helps with panic attacks. However, EPRT I think has helped, which is why I can be on such a low dose. Anyway, I went off my SSRI without telling my doctor 2 years ago, went keto, and when I got pregnant and started eating carbs again my OCD got out of control again. Hormones, maybe, carbs maybe, but back on SSRI and post pregnancy gaining weight again. Interesting stuff.

(Running from stupidity) #289

Yeah, so many variables with this stuff. I’d say it drives me crazy, but, you know :slight_smile:

(Jennibc) #290

My son’s OCD was out of control when he was a young boy. Took the grain out and it stopped. Every time he slips (usually on vacation) it comes raging back. I would have never believed it if I hadn’t witnessed it for myself. We went on a road trip two years ago where he was sneaking sugar sweetened cereal when he’d go to the hotel’s breakfast buffet without us and was sneaking Christmas cookies and that type of stuff at the relatives. When we got back the first night he was up at 2 AM in the guest bathroom organizing the dozens of travel size shampoos, conditioners, and lotions that he’s collected over the years of our trips. It was kind of frightening. He hadn’t had a relapse like that in a few years. He had some intrusive thoughts come back this summer after a trip, but it wasn’t so bad where the hand washing or compulsive organizing appeared. Here’s an interesting article someone shared with me yesterday. I don’t like that it suggests a plant based diet because that typically means grains and cutting that out was THE answer to his OCD and my bipolar disorder. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2018/12/cover-psychobiotics.aspx?utm_campaign=monitor&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=1546560600&fbclid=IwAR0CTo3pddIkEzJkPm7XWI25ISvfAQPLF0pQK0le5iChDizgpWViHl0Nabg

(Heather Meyer) #291

Yes sauces especially heavily spiced sauces like curty would make it difficult to tell…

Brilliant that you’ve found the solution to your son’s OCD. It must make a huge improvement to your whole family’s life :+1:
But other people may have very different triggers - including needing to go plant based. It is possible.

I know someone who has an allergy (not OCD) to mammal protein. She has a choice of fish or plant protein, and does both.

(Jennibc) #294

Right. I am not suggesting it’s the same for all. I am suggesting that it is probably linked to the microbiome and what we ingest affects that. Each of us has a different microbial colony so what worked for him and what worked for me, might not work for others. Consequently, each person is going to have to try different things and tweak their diets accordingly. But the blanket statement about a plant based diet as being healthy is an issue because the way it shows up in the article suggests that this is a one size fits all.

Then we agree perfectly.

I have a big problem with almost all blanket statements. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #296

Can’t eat dinosaur protein (i.e., chicken) either?

It’s really weird to be allergic to amino acids, since that’s what we are made of.

All generalizations are wrong. :smile:

(Jennibc) #297

Have you read about the “Lone Star” Tick. Living in TX this is my greatest fear. A life without brisket may be a life not worth living. https://www.popsci.com/lone-star-tick-meat-allergy

(Running from stupidity) #298

I have a problem with all of them!

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #300

A friend in Richmond VA got bit. Can’t eat meat. I stay indoors now. Just saying.

(Donna Peterkin) #301

Excuse my ignorance, but what, exactly, is trolling? If it means digging around just to be controversial then I agree with the general consensus. I was trying to glean some insight on Ketogenic practices and, alas, I got sucked in to I don’t know what, religion?

(Janelle) #302

I’m pretty sure that nothing I posted had anything to do with trolling or religion so maybe it was a different post you meant for your reply?

(Donna Peterkin) #303

It was in reply to a long thread that started out about someone quitting but then got embroiled in religion somehow. I’d written that reply couple days ago and it was still on here as I was reading new stuff. Apparently I’d not sent it earlier and I’m guessing I just sent it while reading something entirely non related? Sorry, my bad.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #304

@CatGirl @Donna_PETERKIN
I think when religion is mixed into trolling it basically means taking a stand as dogmas and not applying critical thinking. As in crazy keto dogmas. Sometimes tolls try to call out others as dogmas but they are just trolling (a fishing term) trying to get someone to respond to them with some negative energy.

There are a few trolls here on this forum but it seems we are for the most part a very low troll site.

We do have some keto dogmas (religion) but it seems most of take the attitude “show me the science” which in my mind is a great stance. We sometimes disagree on what the science says or its significance but that is not trolling.

I hope this helps.

(Donna Peterkin) #305

Yes, thank you. I guess they just have nothing better to do. Perhaps they’d have less angst if they just KCKO.

(Scott) #306

I noticed that on MFP they would debate but if they disagreed strongly (like with Jason Fung) they quickly resorted to calling me a troll. Which was ironic because the same six anti keto people would troll every thread with the word keto in it.

(Jessica) #307

Sigh this is my fate. Every so often I Google for info again because the info keeps evolving. I’m only allergic to beef. I can eat pork, venison, etc. I have wondered if I could eat bison, or a European breed of cow but my last reaction was scary enough to keep me from trying. Keto would definitely be a lot more interesting with beef!

Unless it’s raw milk. It doesn’t smell off if left out for a few days (especially in a warm place like the top of the fridge). Then you can separate the curds and whey and make your own yummy soft cheese. Though, when I was still living where I could get raw milk, I used kefir starter in the milk and sometimes had kefir, sometimes kefir cheese. It’s a bit milder than plain fermented raw milk.

I would never leave pasteurized milk out for any length of time. It will definitely go off. When I used to use milk, I always smelled it. At the slightest hint of offness, I poured it out.