Why I gave up on KETO and went back to SAD and vegetable oils

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #21

Been saying what for years?

(Laurie) #22

Arrrrrr matey!

The main thrust of the article I believe is in the first two paragraphs, basically stating animal fat is bad and vegetable fat is good.

I also believe studies and articles of this nature, if I may prognosticate, will lead to a stronger, more persistent push toward eating lab-grown meat. And that has nothing to do with health, it’s all about the money. They can’t patent real meat, but they can patent lab-grown meat.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6835390B1/en

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7270829B2/en

(Robin) #24

Lack of pirates.

(KCKO, KCFO) #25

Oh yes, do bring back the pirates :rofl::joy::rofl:

(KCKO, KCFO) #26

Barely looked at it, stopped at this statement:
those who ate the most vegetable and polyunsaturated fats (such as olive oil) 12 percent less likely to have ischemic strokes compared to those who ate the least.

Olive oil is good because it is NOT a polyunsaturated fat. Wouldn’t trust anything in that article.

(Uwe F Herle) #27

https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/the-issue

(Bob M) #28

I think you mean to say that olive oil is relatively low in PUFAs. Like this:

I was trying to find one that I used to use, which was more picture-oriented. It had a pictorial where the fats were different colors. I can’t remember where that was though.

seed oils and ‘fake processing of that oil’ to be full truths from that processing are just evil LOL
I put my truths out there and I got alot ‘of google’ to back me up HA

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

The processing required to produce the industrial seed oils is impressive. And a bit nauseating, to be honest. The fruit oils (avocado, coconut, olive) require basically only pressing.

yea but read about all the companies that say "100%’ and they cut it with other inferior crap. Olive oil is the biggest joke of all time on the market actually. When one sees what it takes in natural resources used to massive use for what it gives and then falsehoods about what you are buying, then ya can allow yourself to get extremely nauseated :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #32

What I don’t understand are the “expeller pressed” varieties. This for instance:

Still seems like a lot of work relative to, say, olive oil, where you can put the olives into a container and get out oil.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Yes, indeedy.

Expeller-pressed is a wonderful thing, but given how much refining and bleaching and purifying is still required afterward, I can’t see that it really has an impact on the quality of the final product (except for its price, of course).

As a marketing ploy, this term puts me in mind of the Folger’s Coffee commercials that used to talk about how Folger’s was “mountain-grown,” as though that were something special, whereas the reality is that all coffee is mountain-grown, since the plant doesn’t thrive down in the lowlands.

But presentation is all. Jed Bartlett, President of the U.S. on the TV show, The West Wing, goes on an amusing rant, in one episode, about James Bond, who always wants his martinis “shaken, not stirred.” “James is ordering a weak martini,” the character explains at the end of his rant, “and being snooty about it.”

(KCKO, KCFO) #34

Agreed and it is rape seed oil not canola oil, which is a marketing term to appeal to more people. I think I read it is canola oil because Canada produces and markets most of it and the marketing guys knew no one was going to buy something called rape.

It still has to get the smell processed out of it.

Give me olive oil over rape seed oil anyday.

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

That is true but most studies using olive oil refer to it as a monounsaturated fat. Very small amount of PUFA.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

Actually, “canola” refers to the oil from a variety of rape (Brassica napus) that was bred to produce oil lower in erucic acid: Can(ada) O(il), L(ow)-A(cid), according to my dictionary.

The word “rape” in this case is derived from Latin rapa, rapum, meaning ‘turnip’.

(KCKO, KCFO) #37

Nice marketing job I’m pretty sure someone got a nice bonus when it started flying off the shelves.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

I’m not sure why eruic acid is supposed to be so bad. (My dictionary says its a homologue of oleic acid, whatever that means in chemistry.)

But the value of low-erucic oil was apparently great enough that people went to the trouble of breeding a plant to supply it. Still, it’s not quite as bad as calling your glassware crystal, merely to be able to charge more for it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #39