Why Everything We Know About Salt May Be Wrong

salt

(Zbigniew Kosior) #1

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Don’t know about it making you hungry. While fasting if I do feel hungry, I just take a pinch of Himalayan salt with water and the hunger passes. Thanks for posting this.

This part is interesting in light of the recent podcast about the Salt Fix.

Both muscle and liver showed increased ketone body content. This finding suggests that liver switched pyruvate substrate utilization from energy-intense gluconeogenesis to energy-neutral ketogenesis and thereby reprioritized its energy expenditure in favor of urea osmolyte production. https://www.jci.org/articles/view/88532/version/4/pdf

Also, in the original astronaut finding, the low salt diet contained 6g/day, and the high salt was 12g/day. They also saw some muscle breakdown for nitrogen to induce more urine at 12g, which likely explains the hunger at those levels. They were on a carb rich diet no doubt, too.

Yet another reason to get 5-7g of salt/day.

(Brad) #4

Interesting article

(Doug) #5

@Bradeo Right on, Brad - it’s one of those things like “low-fat” being good and “eat a lot of servings of grains every day” - decades of having things which may very well be absolutely wrong for us pounded into us all the time. I still get a funny feeling…