WHY do we still feel hungry sometimes after eating a lot?

(Naomi Brewster) #41

I don’t know if this is relevant to the discussion - sorry didn’t go back to catch the drift - but circadian rhythm researchers have worked out that we are actually more insulin sensitive in the morning than in the evening so eating at night (even something keto) can result in insulin resistance and disturbed sleep as a result - the solution - eat within a circadian rhythm. Check out Dr. Satchin Panda for more info. I have actually been trying it out and feel pretty good

(Marie Dantoni) #42

Yes, I have found that omad works for me because eating several times makes me hungry.

(Erin Macfarland ) #43

I want to report here that for the past few days I have eaten in a “carnivorous “ fashion, only animal products, most beef, but also eggs, a little cheese, more beef, pork cracklings…mineral water, lots of salt. I feel amazing…no cravings, TONS of energy, no dip in mood or brain fog…I am going to keep it up. This is a very satisfying way to eat, as I look forward to eating meat and I am not craving more and more “keto friendly” foods that inevitably end up making me feel rotten…so I will plan to do this and see if it keeps helping!

(Naomi Brewster) #44

I’d be interested to see how you go Emacfarland. My only concern for myself would be affect on microbiome though research in this area seems to be in infancy. Been reading Amber O’Hearn who is ‘carnivorous’ and quite happily living this way for several years.

(Erin Macfarland ) #45

There are a lot of people who have been eating a carnivorous diet and thriving, @amber is definitely one of the better known of them, as is Shawn Baker who is really entertaining to listen to. I have been nervous to “give up “ the keto treats I have loved, like the macadamia nuts, desserts made with Swerve…but I also don’t like the ups and downs that come with them. So I’ll keep at this, because i have had no cravings for any of those things and my energy is superior. It’s very enjoyable and satiating, I just eat meat or eggs, as much as I want until I’m full. Pretty easy!

I like how you think. :grin: Unlike a lot of people in this forum, I indulge in “cheat” days and actually think it can help keep your body on its toes. Of course, you have to be very careful…I have had a cheat day or two turn into a cheat week, lol. But I’m confident enough in myself in my WOE that I’ll continue to get back on the horse when I slide off. Some people may not be comfortable toeing that thin line.

(CharleyD) #47

I’m in your position, lost almost 70 lbs this year and just hit a plateau 10 lbs from my goal. At this plateau I found inconsistent hunger signals compared to when I was grossly overweight. OMAD is much tougher now if I have morning meals, easier if I do late lunches.

There is so much trial and error now, no more cushion anymore, pun intended.

(CharleyD) #48

I’m midway through The Metabolic Approach to Cancer and Dr Nasha is big on fiber to feed the good bugs since theres emerging branches of science on how the microbiome trains your immune system to fight bad bugs and cancer.
Funny I was leaning towards trending towards flirting with carnivore but now have a good excuse to keep my cruciferous and Wasabi :yum:

(Liz ) #49

Ha! I see what you did there :smile: and yeah, I guess it makes sense that our bodies change & our Keto experiences evolve. So glad to have this discussion & this forum where we can all check in with our experiences & stay the course.

(CharleyD) #50

This was something that surprised me but is a consistent message from the @dudes and Daisy on Keto Women too. I chuckle even more at the Boring Keto gripe, not only are tastes changing but as you learn, your needs and microbiome change within days of eating better. Sensitivities to foods become more pronounced and you will change your menu up too.

This is why I look back and am glad I don’t beat myself up over not sticking to a meal plan, and keep things super simple. More power to foodies :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #51

All really good points! This way of eating has certainly taught me to be flexible and that changing it up is good! I have a personality that tends to want to find a groove and get mired in it lol, better to keep agile.

(Doug) #52

I’ve never thought much about the hunger-signalling hormones, ghrelin, leptin, etc. I do remember a big episode of feeling hungry after eating a lot, about 35 years ago. Young adult, had my own place, was a beast - had a very physical job = masonry/bricklaying, and was a regular runner, 40 to 80 minutes a day. Not yet obese, probably insulin sensitive at age 23.

Ate a bunch of stuff one evening, then for dessert boiled some potatoes, cut them up and added a lot of butter and salt. Quite a few big potatoes, 7 or 8, heck - it was probably 10 or 12 “servings.”

I figure this was a straightforward case of a lot of carbohydrates, a large insulin response, crashing blood sugar that left me ravenous. I was beyond just physically full - I was stuffed to the point where it was painful, and yet the hunger

(Bryan Ausinheiler) #53

@OldDoug I’ve had the same experience of being physically so full I can’t comfortably eat any more but still feeling hungry. No idea what that is all about but as an athlete I have eaten massive amounts of food in one sitting many times in my life and I wonder if my brain has learned to ignore stomach stretching as a satiety cue. I did 6 months of super strict keto while hiking the appalachian trail and ate 5k+ calories a day in a much smaller volume than I used to eat because of the lack of salad and I wasn’t hungry. The scientific research shows protein and fiber have the greatest effect on satiety (more than carbs and fat). You can read about my experience with keto in long distance hiking on my blog and book. ketogenicbackpacking.com

(Bryan Ausinheiler) #54

I thought I remember Jason Fong saying metformin raised insulin levels and resulted in weight gain in his book “The Obesity Code” About hunger and appetite calibration, it appears to me that many animals are hungry all the time searching for food. Dogs seem particularly prone to constant hunger.

(CharleyD) #55

They’re working on it, but second stomach is a thing when you taste sugar when you’re full.

(Naomi Brewster) #56

I want to do an extended tramp but have no idea of what to take to eat - i’ll Look at your blog with interest

(Doug) #57

Hi Bryan. :slightly_smiling_face: I think Metformin more increases the person’s sensitivity to insulin, rather than raise the insulin level, and slows down the liver’s glucose production. Just saw this:

I hadn’t seen this before, and it’s dated tomorrow (compared to here in the U.S.), so should be fairly fresh. :smile:

Dogs indeed do seem to lack the “off” switch for eating. Perhaps the ancient wolf in them wants to get all they can while the getting is good?

Man! I would love to hike the Appalachian Trail. Used to do a good bit of mountain climbing and hiking…

Hmm… I hear you on the protein, but I thought fat was either as satisfying as protein or even more. Personally, fat - like eating some butter or doing a few shots of olive oil is amazingly satisfying to me; it’s as if the hunger vanishes by magic.

I think you are right about some of us ignoring the stomach-stretching satiety signal. Used to eat two large pizzas at one sitting, and I’d be one full bugger then, with it getting worse for the next half hour or so as the stomach’s information caught up with my poor carb-addled brain.

(Doug) #58

My buddy the cow agreed, but said I was still a piker.

I’m not sure why some struggle with hunger after eating. I think a lot of it is psychological because in our “first world” countries, we have an inexplicable fear of hunger. We are taught to be afraid of hunger and its side effects: grumpiness, headache, nausea, lightheadedness, etc. Those are unpleasant for sure, so when we feel hunger whispering, I think many of us head for the fridge or the nearest convenience store to head it off at the pass.

I think some of our hunger is probably real, and some is not. When a person can’t tell, I suspect those are the times that macros might come in handy so that one can gauge their intake against their body’s needs. For example, I know good and well that about 1200 calories per day is my max needed intake (with that consisting of fats, proteins, and vegetables). Beyond that, I’m just eating for fun and enjoyment if you know what I mean. Beyond that range, I also tend to feel overfull later.

But what about the hunger that is all in our head? For that, I like strategies that I learned over time, such as writing down or recounting what all I’ve eaten so I can see what I had and remember that it was enough. Another strategy is to look at the clock, and see how long it’s been since I’ve eaten to remind myself that it’s not physically necessary again yet. I also remind myself how long it will be until I eat again (not long). Those types of strategies help me keep perspective on my eating.

I also learned to pay attention to the difference between desire, cravings, and hunger. I like the way one of my resources explains it: desire is what you feel when a meal is good and you want a second helping, cravings are what you feel in your mouth when you think of a food and feel tension over it. Hunger is the empty, stomach rumbling sensation that comes after many hours of not eating. The goal: to discern those apart in order to make optimal decisions.

(CharleyD) #60

@olddoug haha! If only we had their microbiome, we could make fatty acids from fiber, then we wouldn’t look like maniacs asking for butter with our steaks, we could ask for extra salad instead!