Why can't I get into Ketosis?

(LeAnn Kurtz) #1

Hello!
I have been on the Keto diet for 2 months now and it just doesn’t seem to be working for me. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and want to get that under control, as well as lose some weight. I decided to go with the strict approach, 18 grams of carbs per day. I also try to keep my calories under 1500 per day. I have lost a couple pounds but nothing significant. I purchased the upgraded version of carbmanager and well, and most days I’m really close to my goals. The highest carb days I’ve had have only been about 23 grams. I purchased the test strips, and I NEVER show any ketones in my urine. I also noticed that my protein was a little high, so I’ve cut back on that a little. I’m mostly staying within the 5% carbs, 70 % fats, 20 % protein guidelines. My proteins still come out a little high, but usually not over 25%. I cannot figure out why my body won’t go into ketosis. My husband is doing this with me, and it took him exactly 2 days. :frowning: Could any suppliments or medications be blocking it? I read that Vitamin C can block the results on the test strips so I quit taking that, but anything else?

Thanks for any advice!
Cheers,
LeAnn

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

First, welcome!
Second, don’t restrict calories.
Third, don’t worry about the pee strips. They were not designed for people on a keto diet. They were designed for Type 1 diabetics.

If you really like testing your pee then try at different times of the day, but they are basically worthless. They just show “extra” ketones that are being wasted (and only test for one type of them).

Maybe you could try upping the calories?
What medications are you taking?
Its good that you are tracking your macros. Can you tell us what the actual numbers are for your fat, protein, and carbs?

What is your current weight and height?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

If you are really eating sub-20 grams of carbs per day and are still alive and conscious, you are in ketosis. Don’t obsess over the urine tests.

Keto is a health normalization regimen. Weight loss is a side benefit. A lot of things happen when you start eating keto: hormones and enzymes readjust, cells and organs readjust, overall metabolism resets, accumulated crap goes out, and many other things. All at the same time.

In addition, weight loss is not a linear process. It starts/stops. Weight goes up/down - in response to any or all of the above changes your body is experiencing. Many people starting on keto, and many who have been eating keto for months or longer, experience ‘stalls’ and ‘plateaus’ for varying periods of time. So your experience, although not common, is not unusual either.

As noted by @KetoCancerMom , provide more details about yourself and what you’re eating so others can provide more specific advice.

(Robert C) #4

If knowing your Keto status is really important - go for a blood ketone meter.

There may just be some issue like, as you wrote, some supplement or medication is blocking a good urine measurement. Or, you may be using all you produce so, no excess in the urine (whereas blood is the transport of ketones from the liver to the brain - making blood more accurate for this case).

If blood ketones come up zero then, you really have to look hard at your diet. One trap there is using “net carbs” as labeled on processed foods. You can pack away 50 or 100 grams of carbs that the company is choosing to call just 5 or 10 “net carbs”. There is a bunch of controversy about this but, it won’t be a controversy for you if you happen to be using “net carbs” and go to under 20 total carbs and see a big difference.

(Jill F.) #5

I agree to throw out pee sticks. I think sticking with 20 carbs or less a day, eat until satisfied, get a measuring tape to look for size lost not just weight us a good track forward for you. If I had just looked at pounds lost 2 months in I would have been very discouraged! Keep up the good work!

(Bunny) #6

If your not seeing trace ketones on the urine sticks and strictly adhering to what your doing, you could be one of those people that are fully utilizing (being used for fuel) the ketones for energy by the brain, liver and muscle and they are not floating around in your blood stream and not being excreted in the urine.

May want to try a blood ketone meter and if your seeing trace amounts of ketones on that (e.g. 0.2, 0.8) then your doing good! :+1:

Your not making excessive ketones (acetone) which is better!

References:

[1] Ketogenic diet versus ketoacidosis: what determines the influence of ketone bodies on neurons? Synthesis of ketone bodies β-hydroxubutirate, acetoacetate and acetone begins once glycogen stores have depleted in the liver. …” “…Hydroxybutirate, acetoacetate and acetone belong to ketone bodies. β-Hydroxybutirate and acetoacetate can be metabolized in mitochondria but not acetone. Interestingly, acetone possesses an anticonvulsive activity at certain conditions (Gasior et al., 2007; McNally and Hartman, 2012). …” …More

BTW: I specifically used this reference as to why your not seeing those ketones on the pee sticks!

(mole person) #7

Can you tell us a bit about yourself? Your age, height and weight, your activity level, your goal. What you are eating and drinking in a day and when?

@RobC is right. Some people need to be very strict about their carbs and only count total carbohydrate grams and not net.

It’s also possible that you are having too much protein although that’s hard to tell without some more information. I’ll tell you that for me (52 years old, moderatly active and 5’5) 93 grams of protein (which is 25% of 1500 calories) will stop any weight losses dead. Not everyone needs tighter protein control on keto but plenty do.

Also don’t use the percentages. They are really useless on a ketogenic diet except in the early adaptation phase (which you are past) and after you have achieved your goals.

The only macro you need to try to hit is protein. So find out what your protein macro is in grams (there are many keto calculators online) and shoot to hit a weekly average of that amount. Some day to day variability is fine. As long as you are not consistently under or way too high.

Carbs are simply not required and should be minimized as much as possible.

Fat is your new fuel. But you already have lots of fat on your body. The whole point of this diet is to change your metabolism to fat burning so that it easily and efficiently has access to those fat stores. So you don’t have to eat your entire fat macro. You’re just supposed to add enough fat to your meals to leave you fully satisfied. This is not a calorie restriction diet. You shouldn’t be walking away from your main meals anything but fully satiated but stuffing additional fat down to hit a macro is actually completely counterproductive.

On the flip side, the hunger regulation that a ketogenic diet gives should allow you to give up snacking and that offers the power of extending the periods that your body is in a low insulin state and having the best access to the fuel in your fat. You want to extend the timing between caloric intake. Snacking is the enemy of that.

For more targeted advice it’s necessary to know more about you.

The urine strips still work for me just fine and I used them all the way through my weight loss journey and still do even now in my maintenance phase to check that I am on point. I think that if they were really so useless most keto doctors and scientists wouldn’t recommend their use, but they mostly seem to. That’s not to say that everyone gets the same results however. Some pee very dark pink, some faint and for some apparently nothing is visible.

The easiest way to find out a bit more information about where you are on that spectrum is to do a short test fast. If you are already eating low carbohydrate (as you are) then it needn’t be long. Do you think for one day you could go from dinner to dinner the next day without calories and only water and black coffee or tea? A urine test before dinner at the end of that should give you better information about where you are on that spectrum.

Good luck to you. Keto works wonderfully well but for some it requires more dialing in at the beginning and, unfortunately, it’s more often the case for us women.

(LeAnn Kurtz) #8

Hello and thanks! I average 5% net carbs, between 68 and 74% fat, and the rest protein. I do think I could cut back on the protein a bit.

Also, I’ve tried to keep the calories under 1450, but I do go over frequently. It’s usually around 1600-1700 on those days.

I take a blood pressure med, and cholesterol med. Both very small doses, as I am kind of borderline “bad” on both. I also take lots of supplements. A green multi, Cytozyme AD, liquid Vit. D, Magnesium Taurate (500 mg/day), Fish oil, BHB salts, Curcumin and piperine (for inflammation), and olive leaf, Berberine, Stress B complex and Oncoplex. Haha!!! I know it’s a long list.

I also have to add this because it’s probably important. I’m 59, weight 158, and 5’4". I take so many supplements because I was on Bioidentical Hormone treatment for the last 15 months, and a lot of these were prescribed by my hormone doctor. I recently just went off the hormones. Went through tremendous cramps and headaches, with my body coming off the hormones. Things are starting to stabilize now, but it’s been tough! I try not to pay attention to the pee sticks, but when my husband uses them his come out really dark and I’m a wee bit jealous. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

LeAnn

(Joey) #9

@lkurtz1

Lots of great advice above, especially:

• Ignore the pee sticks; if you want to measure get blood finger stick meter**
  • Be patient as changes inside don’t immediately manifest outside
  • Intermittent fasting (e.g., 2 meals/day) can really help, but eat fats to satiety
  • Use the tape measure, not the bathroom scale
  • Stay hydrated and well-salted
  • Perhaps certain supplements are adding hidden sugar (many do)?
  • CarbMgr is a great tool… keep up the tracking for future reference.

Finally,

• Women’s metabolisms often respond differently (slower) than men’s, especially when hormones are involved. So consider using any guilt you can muster in your husband to your household advantage :wink:

Meanwhile, congratulations to you, LeAnn! Keep up your outstanding effort and focus.

Other than managing expectations, it sounds like most everything else is heading in the right direction for you - but at your body’s own unique natural pace. Enjoy the ride even if it’s starting out more gently than you’d hoped.

** - a blood test meter like Keto-Mojo can tell you both your ketones AND your glucose. This might be an effective way to (1) confirm you’re in ketosis, which is a concern you’ve expressed, and (2) see if any extraneous sugars (via glucose readings) might be working their way into your diet, perhaps via certain supplements (?)

(Robert C) #10

It might be good to track your total carb count along with net while finding ketosis elusive.