Why Americans Don't Exercise More

(Running from stupidity) #62

What, and wreck the diet/gym industry?

That’s a BIG poo, brother!

But incorrectly understood (probably deliberately) and utterly-incorrectly applied.

I believe that this is the underlying reason for the CICO/energy-balance/eat-less-move-more hypothesis of obesity and weight loss, and why people find it so compelling despite its logical flaws and the lack of evidence for it. If we can’t blame the victims, what is there to live for? :rofl::grin:

Much as I would love to disagree with that, I just can’t. As Snakey said above, it is US culture in all areas (well, as it appears to a very close observer from a long way away).

(Bob M) #63

To me, the best exercise for reducing stress and causing some type of endorphins is weight lifting. To get the same amount in biking, I need to bike 1-2 hours at least, as compared to 20 minutes or so of intense lifting with a lot of sets and little rest. I can’t run long enough (get injured) to cause endorphins.

The Government should get out of the business of telling us what to eat. The original goal was to prevent sickness, and they should get back to that. Anything else becomes inundated with outside interests.

It is quite sickening to me, though, that my kids can’t go into their cafeteria and get full fat milk, but can get zero fat, highly sugared chocolate milk. When did this ever make sense to anyone?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #64

The day the first dairy executive realized that you could charge more for the chocolate milk, because it’s “value-added.” #FOLLOWTHEMONEY

(Carl Keller) #65

I think President Whopper might be more appropriate but that might just be personal preference.

Well said, You can always count on politicians to do what’s in the best interest of their wallets.

(Running from stupidity) #66

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I said you were a good word-thingy person!

Yeah but that was the first image that popped to mind after his recent faux pas. I think he talked once about eating a Big Mac like everyday and that’s why he’s the healthiest person in America. I’d double-check my source, but it’s hard enough opening the news every morning when all I can do is make this face:

(Scott) #68

Nah, Whopper won’t work, its the small hands thing

(Bob M) #69

And there are studies like this:

And this (looks like the took away the whole article):

Anyway, they show that the amount of calories actually burnt over time by hunter-gatherers and office workers is…the SAME. That’s right, the same.

I think this whole “you need to exercise more” is a complete fabrication. And I like to exercise, as I think it has mental health and physical benefits, but they don’t translate to weight very well at all.

(Bob M) #70

Here’s the latter article, in PDF format:

http://www.trainingdimensions.net/tdArticles/Newsletter/Feb_2017/The%20Exercise%20Paradox.pdf

(Scott) #71

Exercise for enhanced fitness level and it does help relieve stress for me to. I just love to watch the city wake up.

Diet or WOE to control weight. Exercise may assist but is totally optional; See @PaulL

(Carl Keller) #72

The tiny hands are actually doing Big Fast Food a favor. It makes their products appear much bigger than they actually are. A photo of him eating a signature burger is the holy grail of advertising, whether it’s a Big Mac or a Whopper.

(Bob M) #73

This is a good quote from the article I posted, and goes along with Paul’s comments:

“The foods we eat certainly affect our health, and exercise paired with dietary changes can help keep off unwanted pounds once a healthy weight has been reached, but evidence indicates that it is best to think of diet and exercise as different tools with different strengths. Exercise to stay healthy and vital; focus on diet to look after your weight.”

(Scott) #74

I had to shake my head when they made the whopper combo better by adding two chocolate chip cookies.

(Running from stupidity) #75

Yeah, but the pun! (not the putin) You have to acknowledge the pun.

That’s very interesting, that article. Good stuff.

Or a taco bowl! He loves the Mexican people!

EXACTLY right. Good excision.

(traci simpson) #76

Same here! I make time for it because it’s important to me. Just like if you play golf - you’ll find time to do that huh? or get your nails done? or hit happy hour? or play one more video game or whatever your favorite thing is. You’ll find time for it.