Why Americans Don't Exercise More

(KetoQ) #1

Any thoughts?

(John) #2

Says “not having time” is the number one reason. That certainly resonates with me - the opportunity cost of the time required.

When I do a full workout in the fitness room at work, it takes me between 45 mins to an hour. Same for when I go out for a walk - 2 to 3 miles = 40 mins to an hour. Plus you have the time afterwards where you may need a shower or change of clothes before doing other things.

That means something else that you used to do for that hour gets cut from your daily routine.

It does require some commitment to do it, and with job, family, and other life pressures that often are extrinsic, the intrinsic commitments are the ones that tend to suffer.

(Carl Keller) #3

For me it was this:

two in five Americans feel “too old” to work out

What I didn’t understand in the past was WHY i felt too old. I know now it was processed foods (sugar mainly) that were sapping the life and motivation out me. Now that I’ve eliminated them from my diet, I don’t feel too old. In fact, doing crunches now are 100 times easier than they used to be.

When I was on SAD, I would often do 10-15 crunches and the motivation would just be drained out of me and I would be panting and out of breath… so I would quit. Now I can do 100-200 reps in a few minutes and feel like I can do more if I wanted to. Plus, I have no hint of soreness the next day when I work my abs or even other muscles when I push them to their limit.

Everything is so much easier when we are not eating garbage.

(Bob M) #4

Actually, I wish people would stop going to the gym. It’s getting too crowded. :grin:

First of all, New York Post ew.

Second, it’s not fair to saying Americans use “working too much” as an “excuse,” when that’s pretty much the reality. Some people have to work two jobs to make end’s meet. Expecting them to work 8-12 hours in a soul-crushing job and then have the mental and physical energy to be able to hit the gym is ridiculous, especially if they have families.

(Julie ) #6

I must be an odd ball. I workout daily get up early to be sure I can get in 45 mins before work. Walk usually on Saturdays with a group for half marathon training.

(less is more, more or less) #7

The article leads with a CICO premise, which is too bad. The article appears to be a subliminal advert for the company that created the user poll. This is the new normal for legacy news organizations as they frenetically try to find new revenue streams. The article simply reprints the findings of the user-submitted poll data.

If 42% of respondents says they lack sufficient time, who am I to argue with them? I am amused that the poll asked what attributes a regular workout will give them. To bad they didn’t ask what Santa gave them for Christmas.

The article concludes with:

But is 2019 the year Americans will find their fitness freedom and get in shape on their terms?

If they adopt a low-carb lifestyle, they will.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Hey, now! What’s not to like about the journalistic endeavor that gave us such headlines as “Headless body found in topless bar” and “Mom kills kids, slays self”? :grin:

(Scott) #9

It is all about priorities. I will bet that many people that don’t have the time to exercise stare at their phone two hours a day and have time to watch TV programs. I get up at 4:30 am to exercise because that is the time that doesn’t interfere with work or family. Exercise is not much different than diet if you don’t make the time to commit to it, its probably not going to happen. When it is below freezing it takes a lot of will power to get out of my warm bed. Nobody said it is supposed to be easy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

You say that like it’s a bad thing. . . . :grin:

My Puritan ancestors approve of this message!! :roll_eyes:

(Heather) #11

I choose to exercise because it makes me feel good. I exercised before I went Keto, the benefits are much greater now. I am blessed to have a supportive husband who allows me to go to bed a little earlier so that I can get up and go for my power walk or do my strength training.

(KetoQ) #12

Don’t knock it til, you’ve tried it, the NY Post is one of life’s simple pleasures. One of the most entertaining newspapers you’ll ever read.

Can’t beat headlines like, “Jacko on his Backo” and “Headless Body in Topless Bar.”

(KetoQ) #13

Bob –

Yes, that’s what I hate about the gym, too, especially when I want to use the leg press machine!!! I like to have it all to myself and go off peak hours.

(Bob M) #14

Yeah, the gym was incredibly busy this past week. I couldn’t understand where all the people came from. Then I realized it was the first full week of the new year…

(KetoQ) #15

Indeed, the parking lot at my gym has been much fuller the past two weeks … than say in November.

(Pete A) #16

Exercise is seen by many as a chore, burden and too hard. Many don’t think they can do enough to make any difference.

The whole “lose weight without exercising” and belief that you don’t “have to” exercise to lose weight etc shows people believe it’s not necessary for a balanced life. And maybe aren’t confident enough to try…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Well, I lost sixty pounds just from eating a well-formulated ketogenic diet, and without exercising at all. Unless you count jumping to conclusions as exercise, of course. :grin:

(KetoQ) #18

Living that kind of unsustainable lifestyle, and not making time to take care of oneself, is often what helps contribute to making people sick and miserable.

Moreover, exercise doesn’t have to be narrowly defined as going to the gym and doing a balls to the wall workout. It can simply be an activity like a bowling league, or going for a walk on your lunch break, or doing bodyweight exercises at home for 10-15 minutes a day.

(Doug) #19

Definitely, Scott. Well done, by the way. :slightly_smiling_face: For me, it takes an “I am going to do this, no matter what…” mindset. Haven’t really gotten to that place in a long time, though most days I do some squats - can do them at work, in front of the TV, computer, etc.

When I was a regular runner, that was it - once I had got one foot out the door, I was fine, rain, cold, ice, etc. - I was still going to go the distance. Now, as far as dressing for a workout, driving to a gym and back… Ain’t gonna happen. An exercise machine in front of the TV or where I could have a computer set up would be a good thing.

I think we’re also forgetting the cause and effect of getting people to exercise: people don’t get energy by exercising more, people exercise more when they have energy.