Whooshing

(Dan) #1

I haven’t read a good explanation of the Whoosh effect, but they are real! I had lost a significant amount of weight over a 12 month period. Then I seemed to hit a wall. After a 3 month period with no significant change, I stopped weighing regularly just to avoid the inevitable frustration. I weighed this morning for the first time since July 12. Over a month (and a trip to Ketofest).

Down 16 pounds! Whoosh!

That’s a nice whoosh!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

It’s only ever happened to me once, but it’s a real phenomenon. I didn’t believe it at first, because it was so weird to suddenly be weighing so many pounds less.

(Dan) #4

I would not want others to think that is normal and get discouraged if they don’t see losses of that magnitude. That was over a six week period that was following a 3 month period of no loss. So averaged out it was probably around a pound a week. It just showed up on the $#@ scale at one time. Also, I am still very overweight and more rapid weight loss seems to be easier the more fat you have to lose.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

That’s the part that gets me. You have no clue it’s coming, and then when it happens it seems so fucking arbitrary! :frowning_face:

I like this over-simplified explanation of the Whoosh Effect:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

This explains the whoosh - http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/