Originally published at: http://ketofamiliespodcast.com/whoopie-pie/
For the cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup stevia erythritol granulated sweetener
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 2 large pasture raised eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon organic vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 Tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons stevia erythritol granulated sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
For the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment or silicone mat
- Sift almond flour, salt, baking soda, granulated sweetener and pumpkin pie spice into a medium bowl.
- Add coconut oil and mix in.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree, almond milk and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies. Five cookies will fit on each sheet.
- Using fingers, form each cookie into a circle
- Place cookies in preheated oven. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes. Cookies are done when the center springs back when touched.
- When cookies are finished baking, remove them from oven and allow to cool one minute on the tray. Remove from tray and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before adding filling.
For the filling
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add sweetener and vanilla and blend in thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold about 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten.
- Add remaining whipped cream to the mixture and fold in gently.
- Using a pastry bag, pipe filling on five of the pumpkin cookies. Top with the remaining five cookies. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
For 1/2 whoopie pie
Fat: 24.7 grams
Carbs: 6.5 grams*
Fiber: 2.7 grams
Sugar: 1.6 grams
Net Carbs: 3.8 grams
*erythritol is not included in carb count.