Whole Foods KETO HAUL

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #22

I have not heard of these! I’m going to have a try:grinning:

(57da1864057add858d6f) #23

These things are all fine and good and exciting, and not to be a wet blanket, they are really enticing when you’re just starting out. I’m about 5 years in and there’s no way I’m handing over $10 for a little package of chocolate “keto cups.” Over time these items lose their novelty and you find a much simpler approach that doesn’t rely on gimmicks. What bugs me about these new products is they make it seem like keto is expensive and elitist. But it’s not. You can shop at Walmart and be perfectly successful eating this way. Whole Foods is all fun and exciting but don’t think you have to blow a bunch of money to join everyone getting on the bandwagon :wink:

Buyer be ware…

(Jennifer ) #25

Yeah…keto since 2012. I guess that’s almost 7 years now (crazy to think about). Keto Cups and everything else on my list are still exciting to me. :woman_shrugging:t2:

(Doug) #26

:slightly_smiling_face: Yeah - that time-compression thing. :neutral_face:

I just checked out the Mikey’s product line on their website!

Very frustratingly though, they apparently use the inhumane mega-warehouse raised, grain fed, metabolically deranged chicken eggs - not pasture-fed - and not smaller farm suppliers. A far cry from anything paleo, that’s for sure.

WF allows that in their own kitchen products too as a matter of convenience.

Back to my fry bread concoctions for now, alas… deep diving the ingredients on many store-bought keto-friendly foods is a trip. I have to say though, Flackers and FatSnax and Emmy’s Organics are FAB and hopefully showing up more at WF and Natural Grocers (I get them from Amazon) - huge treats for me.

(David Rawe) #28

Just a note…Please check the REAL carb content and what’s really in these things. For example the Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener is not pure and does have some carbs. There is another brand that is PURE and no carbs. Just check you labels.
Sometime in the near future (hopefully) I might be starting a YouTube Keto based vblog that really goes into real labeling info. Did you know that the FDA actually allows a 20% +/- allowance on amounts?
–Dave Rawe

(Doug) #29

To an extent, it’s a real minefield. :neutral_face: It bugs me that less than 0.5 grams per serving of carbohydrates can be rounded down to zero, and labeled as such. Not that it’s the end of the world, but if there are quite a few servings in a package or total amount, then there may be a significant number of carbs in there, in the context of trying to stay under 20 g per day.

(Janette Maret) #30

If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you they sell Fat Snax.

(Judy Thompson) #31

I’ve been essentially keto for 5 or 6 years and doesn’t it seem like suddenly, out of nowhere, keto is a giant buzzword!
12 years ago I discovered Weston Price/Nourishing Traditions and while not keto it is heavily meat and fat based and it was deplorable how everything at Whole Foods was low fat, high sugar albeit (mostly) organic.
Even Trader Joe’s brags about their keto offerings and they’re some of the carb - heaviest merchandisers out there.
I do agree that when something becomes an overnight sensation, it’s time to read labels carefully because the marketing gurus are studying the dictionary for cheap alternatives.
But still - it’s pretty exciting to see keto come into its own.

Keto Cups are insanely, devilishly good, especially the coffee flavor! In general I don’t enjoy keto friendly food, at best I find it just ok and edible (the few things I really enjoy like some cauliflower or eggplant stuff you cannot eat much, because of carbs), but these cups are delicious. My only problem, it’s hard to eat only one. And it’s also pricey. I’d love to figure out how to make my own coffee flavored ones (I prefer this type because the combination of bitter chocolate and coffee are quite efficient in balancing the richness of coconut butter filling).

Re Lily’s chocolate: I compared Lily’s macros with regular dark chocolates on the shelf in WF and surprisingly the regular dark chocolate has LESS carbs and also tastes better. I usually buy 92% Madecasse or 88% Equal Exchange Extreme Dark. Though last weekend I came across Montezuma’s Absolute Dark Chocolate with Nibs (unfortunately, I haven’t seen it in WF, only at Trader Joe’s) and it’s my new favorite keto energy snack. Usually 100% chocolate is a bit bitter and extreme, but this one tastes more like 90-95% and has only 2g of the net carbs for 1/4 of a bar (it’s a regular size bar, so usually won’t eat that much at once).

(Kirk Wolak) #33

Yeah,
I was thinking we should make them put the carbs per PACKAGE so we can do the math! Because if you have 10 servings, and you are hiding 4.9 carbs/package, it would show up… Then 0 carb would be meaningful.

I’ve run into this with some Sausages. You can taste they are a bit too sweet to be ZERO…

(Jenn) #34

For anyone interested in checking their local Whole Foods for keto items. They have a special section dedicated on their website now :slight_smile:

https://products.wholefoodsmarket.com/search?sort=relevance&store=10594&diet=keto-friendly