Whoa! Dr. Phinney's take on protein...correct or incorrect?

(Bunny) #41

Hmmmmmm? Caloric Restricted Ketosis (counting calories, macros, CICO etc.) vs. Carbohydrate Restricted Ketosis (nutritional ketosis)?

CALORIES (units of energy) UNIT OF ENERGY TABLE (per gram):

• CARBOHYDRATE = 4 units

• FAT = 9 units

• PROTEIN = 4 units

METHODOLOGY PARADIGM:

Carb cycling

Protein Cycling

Intermittent Fasting IF

Extended Fasting EF

Cyclic Ketogenic Diet

Feast & Fast

• LCHF

• 0 Carb (carnivore; high protein)

Interesting:

1. Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass Conclusion: Although more long-term studies are needed before a firm conclusion can be drawn, it appears, from most literature studied, that a VLCARB is, if anything, protective against muscle protein catabolism during energy restriction, provided that it contains adequate amounts of protein.
  1. Diet/Foods to Increase BDNF:
  • Ketogenic Diet (R)
  • Stay away from the SAD diet – stay away from a high sugar and high saturated fat diet i.e. SAD diet…(R)
  • Fish oil/DHA (R, R2),
  • Hi-maize/Resistant starch – converts to butyrate, which causes an increase in BDNF (R)
  • Honey: FOS, GOS (Prebiotics)(R)…
  • Blueberries (R),
  • Cocoa (flavonoids) (R),
  • Soy – Both estradiol and soy phytoestrogens significantly increased BDNF in the frontal cortex of female rats. (R)
  • High salt intake (R) …More
  1. Role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in wobbler mouse motor neuron disease.
  1. BDNF prevents and reverses adult rat motor neuron degeneration and induces axonal outgrowth.
  1. The Ketogenic Diet: Calorie Confusions & Details When Doing Keto and Intermittent Fasting
  1. Why Low Calories Does Not Equal Weight Loss
  1. Counting Calories is Stupid! - Dr. Ken Berry

(CharleyD) #43

If you have good satiety signals, you’ll be able to do both, both calorie restricted ketosis and actual carb restricted ketosis. It depends on how long fat adapted, I’d wager.

(brant kinnsch) #44

Ben Bickman truly knows his stuff.

Just like what I learned from studying boat hull shapes, everything’s a compromise. You want to be MODERATE in all things. A fast boat is very uncomfortable but a comfortable boat is slower overall. I think if we stay in a low level of ketosis (not always trying to see how high we push the numbers up) and maintain a body fat around 8-10% we are in as moderately safe a position as we can be in. I think Peter Attia is also one of the ones that says it’s good to exercise - just not too much.