Who is using one of these?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

So I was reading down through the reviews, and several people said it worked great for their Souse Vides :slight_smile: Plus, the price is right :slight_smile: It will be super convenient for me, as we have a big 15lb propane tank for our BBQ’er, which I can just disconnect from the grille, and connect to this torch, and still use the grille as a great surface to do the sear on :slight_smile:
Will order this soon, and post back with my results :slight_smile:
BTW, I think I am now officially a Souse Vide Everything freak :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

How much is it Chris? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

$19.99 + $6 shipping, to my area anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I have a store a couple miles away, definitely checking this out. Thanks Chris

:cowboy_hat_face:

Love me some Harbor Freight. They have rotating sales. If you get their flyer there are 20% off coupons too, or there’s an app for that.

I use them on my ribs. I coat with my rub and smoke ST Louis style ribs for 6+ hours at 225F or so over pecan or apple wood (till they crack when you lift with tongs about 1/4 to 1/3 way down the rack). I then glaze with a KC style sauce and fire that baby up. I learned it from Bogart’s in St Louis but I use a big torch like they use to melt asphalt for roofers or burn weeds…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

@Fracmeister Do you mean a flame thrower? :joy::joy::rofl::rofl::cowboy_hat_face:

Propane doesn’t create too much of a “throw” but it is plenty impressive – I have made a real flame thrower but used much higher pressure and different (liquid) material…

That’s 3 racks of ribs in a pan. It doesn’t take long!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Send those ribs to hell! :joy::rofl::rofl::cowboy_hat_face:

Trust me. It just caramelizes the sauce.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

That’s heavy duty for sure :slight_smile: Looks fun… But it doesn’t impart any fuel flavor to the meat ???

nope… not so I can detect. Propane burms efficiently and is super hot so it is brief.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

Holy moly this thing is rediculous ! Tested it out and it was it was like a military grade flame thrower ! LOUD too ! Kind of scary actually :grinning: lol
Probably about like Fracmeisters :slightly_smiling_face: Just picked it up at the local Harbor Freight for $28. They had the $20 ones too, but I wanted this one for the auto igniter :slightly_smiling_face:

I wish I had the auto igniter… but I have a sparker for 2$

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #15

Yea’, so my GF’s kids are going to be here tomorrow, and I have 3 big fat Ribeyes marinading in Soy sauce in the fridge right now :grin:
Tomorrow, 4hrs at 140 degrees, then a good sear with the new flame thrower and Bam ! :slightly_smiling_face: Super confident these will be off the chain ! :slightly_smiling_face:
Then our parboiled, then baked Broccoli with olive oil and parmesan cheese ! Whoo hoo :slightly_smiling_face: Geez this Keto thing is tough :grin: lol

(Susan) #16

Keep the torch safely away from the children =). How old are they? Do they eat Keto as well?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

They are 27 and 28 :grinning: I think they will be okay :grin: lol

(Susan) #18

Ohhhh okay, I was thinking they were children! hehe.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #19

So my GF was watching when I fired this thing up, and I told her, "This thing is pretty scary, huh ? Maybe you could use it for home protection ? … So when the cops get there, they see a guy running down the street on fire… And you tell them, “Yea, this guy did a lousy job breaking in my house, so I had to fire him” :grinning: lol

I never use these on steaks myself as I get a much hotter/faster sear over charcoal or even in cast iron. They make a searzall type device meant to get really close up. The reason they work so well for ribs is that you are not browning the meat (it is already way brown from the smoker) but caramelizing the sauce. Tell me how it goes.