Who is supportive of Keto in your life?

(charlie3) #41

I should have said it’s the combination of giving up carbs plus fasting or restricting eating times that can seem too severe. We know it’s not as hard as it sounds. We know that it’s possible to eat well without carbs. We know that hunger is dfferent on a high fat diet. Those things are not intuitively obvious to someone who hasn’t experienced them.

(Diane) #42

If anyone asks how I’m eating, the response I hear most often is that I could never give up … (bread, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, French fries, etc, etc). So, I agree with your description of people who eat ketogenically as “seeming” ascetics.

Yet eliminating the substance that an addict is addicted to is a necessary (for me) asceticism. And 9 months into this Keto WoE, my day to day eating does not feel restricted anymore. I eat wonderfully rich foods. I have found acceptable Keto substitutes for many old favorites, and the hunt for an acceptable Keto bagel, French fry and cinnamon roll is kind of entertaining and an oddly welcome challenge. Even extended fasting is relatively easy (physically, getting easier mentally with each fast) even 5 or 6 days at a time.

(Aimee Moisa) #43

The office manager at my work just bought me this to use with my coffee, at my request. She didnt argue at all except to ask about the Splenda she buys so I educated her. She had just bought a big box of Splenda the other day or she would have bought a big box of this for everyone. She says she can really start to see a difference. :slight_smile:

(Vijay Bhakta) #44

My wife and kids (23 and 20).

My wife is a vegetarian which includes no eggs but eats rice, bread, sugar, pasta etc and is spot on with her weight. For years she has watched me struggle with Low Fat, CICO, Weightwatchers, so when I told her about Keto she looked at me as if I was mad. A good friend of mine who is on these forums had lost over 200lb on Keto and I showed her his before and after photo - she did not believe me but said she would give me a month to see what happens.

Well, in the first month I dropped 14lb and she could not process my weight loss against the food I was eating, to be honest, I am now 5 months in and she still cant figure it out, even though I explain the science, she just accepts it working and lets me get on with it and also help me with the cooking if I am busy elsewhere.

My kids are really supportive and in the fathers day card last month wrote “We are also very proud of how far you have come on Keto and impressed with your passion for it”

Awww

(Aimee Moisa) #45

That’s awesome, @Vijay. When kids aren’t being little jerks they can be the best, am I right? :slight_smile: I have an 8 year old, myself.

(Chris) #46

My coworkers are incredibly supportive. Eating anything other than steak would be bad for my image! Some kind of reverse accountability thing (I think?).

(Vijay Bhakta) #47

@ladylyssa Your comments have prompted me to share the paragraph 1 (I shared paragraph 2 earlier)…

“We really appreciate everything you do for us (even though we can be little shits) and are very grateful to have a dad like you.”

made me :joy::rofl:

(Aimee Moisa) #48

That’s AW!!!some!

My friends and siblings are extremely supportive.

My parents just try to block it out because they think I’m crazy but don’t want to dwell on it.

My coworkers are NOT. My being gluten-free (since 1998!) was already this enormous hurdle for them… I’m sure they think I’m old and prissy. They’re all 25 and most of them are already developing weight problems.

Today, the company purchased muffins for breakfast. Pizza for lunch. That’s it. No side dishes, no vegetables or protein. That’s how it is EVERY DAY.

I’ve decided to stop eating lunch with them altogether. I’ve always been health-conscious and don’t approve of the lifestyle. And I’m a bit resentful that they never accommodate me with a side salad or cheese or anything. Maybe I’m just grouchy from keto flu.

To end on a happy note: REALLY expensive coffee with full-fat, organic cream at the office!!! :slight_smile:

(Doug) #50

Talia, fascinating look at the people and interactions. Our world… have to laugh.