Who is supportive of Keto in your life?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #21

My husband’s on the fence.

He wants to be supportive but he didn’t understand the adaptation process and saw me struggling with Keto Flu, so his thought process goes to “this diet is making you sick.”

It’s better now that I’m better, but there was a point there that he wanted me to quit. Can’t blame him too much though. He saw me o e time have to sit down before I passed out due to low blood pressure, due to electrolytes off. His concern for me overrode all my explanations.

(Danielle ) #22

Yeah, nobody really in my immediate family supports me. I’m down over 65 lbs, but hubby and kids are definitely NOT keto or anything close, and my mom is constant voicing her displeasure with my limited diet. I do have several very good friends who are also on this journey with me, however… And that helps a lot!

PS… Just found this forum today. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, MY KETO PEOPLE?! :blush:

(Ellen) #23

We’ve been here, waiting for you to join us :grin:

(Mary) #24

This made me laugh! Bloody men! Not only do they lose weight just by thinking of giving up bread, dessert etc, they also lose weight because we give us bread, dessert, etc… :laughing:

Anyway, my husband is supportive - but then, he’s supportive of anything I do. He understands that I’m an adult and make my own informed decisions about how to eat.

I’m so glad for those of us who have support and sad/angry for those who don’t.

(Dee) #25

My family supports me big time. My aunt is also Keto which works out great for me seeing as she throws all the holiday functions!

(Brian) #26

My wife is supportive, and does this with me. Few people around us do.

We have one other couple I can think of that are just starting their keto journey, they’re friends of ours from church. We see them fairly often and socialize a bit.

My brother and his wife are supportive and when they spent the better part of a week with us, didn’t want us to change our diet at all to suit them, they wanted to eat like we do. So that’s what we did. I’m not sure if they’ve gone in that direction or not but they’re supportive. (They’re also 600+ miles away so we see them a couple of times a year.)

That’s it for us.

(charlie3) #27

I get admiration for how I look, lean but not emaciated, but certainly not support. By modern standards we are ascetics (people who discipline themselves too severely). On the rare occasions I describe what I do I see something akin to fear in the eyes of the person listening. We appear to be a rare breed.

(Diane) #28

Interesting, as I’m pretty sure anyone who looks at me in general would assume I’m a hedonist when it comes to food or I wouldn’t carry so much extra weight. Or if they see me adding the extra garlic butter I ordered to my ribeye and broccoli!

(Sarah Slancauskas) #29

My brother got me into keto (he’s long term) and has helped me all the way through with answers to questions, macro adjustments, health queries, sending me books, drawing my attention to interesting links and podcasts and just checking in to see if I’m managing ok/needing help.

My husband is supportive and has started asking for his meals to be like mine. He’s also asking lots of questions, which demonstrates an interest!

I find that generally people are inquisitive about my diet; it tends to come up at coffee time after Mass when I decline biscuits and cakes! :blush: or at social gatherings and my plate looks noticeably different to others. But most people are cool about it and respect it.

(Pete A) #30

No one.

(Shayne) #31

My daughter tries. My doctor is a huge keto supporter. One of my neighbors. My secret FB group. All of you.

I generally try not to talk about it much (particularly at work) because I’ve seen the looks people give me when I say bacon is health food and salt is an essential nutrient. My boss seems genuinely curious - he’s a crossfitter who eats all the damn time… probably more paleo but definitely interested.

(Brian) #32

That’s an interesting observation. I don’t disagree. But it made me stop and think for a bit.

I spent a few decades too many as as vegetarian and vegan. So I have a little bit of an idea what a “restrictive diet” looks like. And it took a lot of “discipline” to eat that way, especially vegan.

I actually don’t have that much of an issue eating keto. I don’t find it all that restrictive and I don’t find that I need a lot of discipline to stick with it. There are still a few things that I miss but not all that much. There are so many substitutes out there on keto internet sites that any significant level of discipline really isn’t needed. Seriously, I eat well. There are times when we eat dinner and my wife will comment about us eating like kings. We do. We like good food. There isn’t this huge glut of it, and we don’t feel like we have to eat everything that’s on the table. If there is obviously too much for one meal, it will be saved for a second or even third meal. And we don’t go hungry. At times, we only eat one meal a day but usually it’s two. Again, there’s no discipline involved in that, it’s because we really just aren’t hungry in between meals and occasionally not hungry in the morning when it’s breakfast time so we’ll just wait until supper.

Maybe I’m spoiled in that I’m not around other people all that much. I don’t work in an environment where I interact with other people. Sometimes my work will revolve around food but that is more like growing food, not so much preparing and eating it. (It’s good exercise, plus, I suspect I’m collecting a nice dose of Vit D.)

(Allie) #33

Me neither. Never have struggled. I don’t miss anything from my life before keto.

Vegan was restrictive yes, and it was very stressful trying to stick with it which is why when I was close to a stress meltdown four years ago, it was the thing I decided to let go of first. Never regretted that decision. Ethically I would prefer not to eat my friends, but on a practical level, I’m well aware of how much healthier I am now and how much better I feel.

(Pete A) #34

Easiest thing in the world for me, simple and clear-cut, don’t at all feel deprived (love my food!), don’t need validation or support, don’t mind inquiries or silly comments, don’t mind social settings with food or restaurants, all indicators are continued success. I have no questions.

Keto-ing on and looking forward to improved health, well being, and celebrating my one year anniversary (Sept).

(Lorraine) #35

Everyone, except my ex-husband, but who cares what he thinks. My mom lost a lot of weight after her heart bypass two years ago, so she’s thrilled for me. My sister is 94 lbs soaking wet, but she is cheering me on and really hopes her T2D husband will get on board. My SIL was doing keto last year, unbeknownst to me, but fell off after a family tragedy. I started in Sept and she saw my progress and got inspired to start again in Jan, so we are cheering each other on. My best friend was so inspired by my results she wanted to do something, but opted for Roux-en-y surgery. We cheer each other on. The people in my office, etc.

I do have another friend who has high blood pressure, T2D and really wants to get her weight under control. She thinks it’s great that I am losing weight, but she could “never give up pasta”. Perhaps when she’s truly ready, she will decide to give it a try, but she’s still supportive!

Oh, and my 12 year old daughter is one of my biggest cheerleaders and tells me she is proud of me all the time!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #36

My Mum and My Partner.
He tells me how proud of me he is every day and how good I am looking.
My Mum says the same and is eagerly wishing to join me and she will soon, she has just moved so she’s getting her house in order.
My partner does not eat Keto but he tries some of the things I make and always compliments my cooking.
He said it’s so good I could start a business (I don’t want to) so he’s getting a bit annoying in that respect, I have told him I do not want to start a keto business lol.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

My sister is very supportive. She tries to eat keto, but finds it harder to manage, and her kids are carbovores, so that doesn’t help. My dad is supportive, but he also enjoys bringing things home from the bakery across the green.

The big surprise was my doctor. He didn’t appear to hear me when I told him I was eating a ketogenic diet, but he was very complementary about my lab work. I thought the LDL was a bit high, but he thinks it’s just fine, since I’m keto.

(clane) #38

I’d have to say my entire nuclear family.
hubby & 2 teenage boys
Since I’m the only one who grocery shops & cooks… uhm… they are not only supportive, but have gone keto whether they wanted to or not:)
I just asked the youngest how he felt about no bread in the house.
He said - “all the meat and cheese I can eat ?, who needs bread ?”
And then he sassily scarfed back to his room with my cheese crackers. hmph. I JUST made those!
My work is done.

(Julie ) #39

Hubby is really supportive most of the time except for when he forgets some items don’t quite fit. He like the food I cook, though he is not Keto. My Son and his wife as well as quite a number of close friends.

And this web site is a big help and boost.

(Rocky B) #40

My wife. It’s funny, all through my past attempts at losing weight she’d say with some degree of frustration, “I can’t cook you thin!”. After 2.5 months on keto and having to dig out my old jeans I haven’t worn in 5 years from storage she has stopped saying that.