WHO/Europe studies find baby foods are high in sugar and inappropriately marketed for babies

(T) #1

http://www.euro.who.int/en/media-centre/sections/press-releases/2019/whoeurope-studies-find-baby-foods-are-high-in-sugar-and-inappropriately-marketed-for-babies

”Two new studies from WHO/Europe show that a high proportion of baby foods are incorrectly marketed as suitable for infants under the age of 6 months, and that many of those foods contain inappropriately high levels of sugar.

WHO’s long-standing recommendation states that children should be breastfed, exclusively, for the first 6 months. Its 2016 global Guidance on Ending the Inappropriate Promotion of Foods for Infants and Young Children explicitly states that commercial complementary foods should not be advertised for infants under 6 months of age.

“Good nutrition in infancy and early childhood remains key to ensuring optimal child growth and development, and to better health outcomes later in life – including the prevention of overweight, obesity and diet-related noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) – thereby making United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 3 to ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages much more achievable,” says Dr Zsuzsanna Jakab, WHO Regional Director for Europe.”

(Bunny) #2

One thing about babies they are born into mild ketosis but breast milk has a lot of natural sugar in it also but babies can handle lots of natural sugar because they have more brain matter than body mass, so the high concentration of natural sugar is not a bad thing, but too much refined sugar is the core root of the problem?

Note: “natural” means sugars that come with its accompanied nutrients unlike highly concentrated refined sugar (empty calories) that has its organic or natural nutrients extracted and removed. Natural like in fruit encased in it’s skin (a whole food) untouched by man and not genetically modified or crossed with the DNA of fish.

Baby foods fortified with man made vitamins does not help matters either because of the micron particulate size of man made vitamins are too big to get into the cells to do any good they simply pass through the body nor are they the right combination of nutrients that help the body process the refined sugar.

(Susan) #3

I breastfed all my kids until they were 2 and beyond for some (last one for 2 years, 4 months). I rarely bought any baby food; only if we weren’t home once in a rare while. I didn’t give any of them any food, (except breast milk of course until they were 6 months old).

They are all slim; only my eldest had any weight issues, and this was later in life when he was feeding himself. He is 27 now and he lost over 50 pounds in the past year and is very slim. He did a lot of IF and still does that, and some Fasting but not Keto.

I always figured baby food was not good for them, so I tried to avoid it as much as possible. I used to puree vegetables and fruit and put it into ice cube trays, then pop it into Tupperware containers to use later for them.

(Bunny) #4

I am the only one my mom ever breast fed (thank god, you don’t get a second chance with that) besides my two sisters which she did not.

Human breast milk is some magical stuff (more nutritious than any food on planet earth for a baby and brain development)!

(Susan) #5

My kids are all very clever, and healthy and slim, even though I haven’t convinced them to try Keto yet… grrrr. I wish I knew now what I did back when they were little!!