Who do I get to be mad at?

(Genevieve Biggs) #22

I feel much the same way. :smile:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #23

Thanks for listening! Iā€™m glad it was helpful.

(Guardian of the bacon) #24

How do you make a BLT w/o the L & T?

(Genevieve Biggs) #25

Eat bacon. :sunglasses:

(Scott Shillady) #26

Easy just eat Bacon, the pig has already ate the lettuce and tomato for me :bacon: :zornface:

(Ross Daniel) #27

but, but, but our teeth clearly show that we are only supposed to be plant eaters!!! :joy:

(Erin Macfarland ) #28

Iā€™m very curious about things like spices and herbs on zero carb. Part of what makes cooking so pleasurable is using these types of seasonings. What about things like olive oil? Vinegar? Mustard?

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #29

In my experience, relinquishing those at least for a little while will allow your tastebuds to recalibrate. I found plain meat bland at first, but after a few days I started becoming more and more sensitive to the flavours to the point that now I often find spices in the way and overbearing. If I do eat spiced food to the point that I get past that initial distaste, I then begin to start eating meat as a carrier for spice, instead of for hunger. My rule of thumb now is that if unspiced meat doesnā€™t satisfy, itā€™s not hunger, and conversely, if youā€™re hungry, unspiced meat is fantastically delicious.

(Erin Macfarland ) #30

Thatā€™s interesting, since herbs and spices are said to be very health promoting. Think turmeric! I have also heard often that ingesting plants, especially wild and bitter plants, such as dandelion, are beneficial as well because of their robust mechanisms for fending off disease in their natural habitat. Plants have been used for millennia to heal people. Do you use any type of plant based foods or herbal applications as remedies for ailments or to promote immunity?

(TinaW) #32

It becomes a BMTā€¦bacon, mayo, tomato :wink:

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #33

My canned response to those notions can be found in a post of mine here:

Biochemical Warfare

I have no objection to drugs manufactured out of plants through isolation and concentration, with the understanding that they are drugs and have the same disadvantages as other drugs. Itā€™s not an argument to eat the whole toxin laden plant, though.

Those defenses are typically insecticides, though there are other kinds. You might also be interested in a podcast I was on recently (Is Eating Plants Paleo - PMR #139) with some others, including Guillermo Ruiz, who studies oncolytic, antibacterial, and antiviral properties of plants. The compounds his research group have succeeded in isolating that protect plants are toxic to human cells.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #34

As a matter of fact, I actually do take curcumin (the turmeric active ingredient) for endometriosis symptoms. Itā€™s one of the few supplements I take with any regularity. I read about it being used successfully in rodent models, and so I tried it. It reduces my symptoms significantly. If I take the kind with piperine in it, which supposedly increases the effectiveness, I get significant mood disruption. So Iā€™m quite sincere about using plant-derived medicine when warranted. However, I would never try to get those doses through eating turmeric!

Edited to add: I had to look this up! :slight_smile: If Iā€™ve calculated correctly, to get a gram of curcuminoids (which is what I take), turmeric has 2-5%, so thatā€™s 20-50g. The USDA database says there are 7g per tbsp at 4g carbs per tbsp, so thatā€™s 3-7 tbsp, 12-28g of carbohydrate. So, not outside the realm of possibility on regular keto, though Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d tolerate it.

(Erin Macfarland ) #35

Very interesting. This kind of fascinates me so it brings up so many questions! I also know as a gardener that we are said to benefit from ingesting microbes from the soil our plants are grown in. Iā€™m also curious about your thoughts on raw milk, or at least raw cream, which is full of fat soluble vitamins and beneficial bacteria. I read through your presentation on weaning and transitioning babies onto meat, and it was incredibly fascinating! I nursed my daughter until she was 4 and my son until he was 3 and while I did not raise them on a low carb diet I saw them receive the benefits of extended breastfeeding and they do drink raw milk now. Iā€™d love to have them have a lower carb intake than they currently do but I feel that at least they get high quality meats and dairy in their diets. I tested my son who is 6 on my blood ketone monitor the other day out of curiosity and despite having had a big glass of raw milk mixed with chocolate prior to that, his ketone level was .4! I was shocked! So I agree childrenā€™s bodies are supposed to be able to benefit from ketones and we have impaired their ability to do so. also I have a hard time keeping weight on doing keto, Iā€™m very lean and active. I find that having a good amount of carbs every few days (from ā€œindulgencesā€ like dark chocolate, peanut butter, almond butter and ā€œketoā€ cookies, I know donā€™t judge!) helps me maintain my weight. How do you keep from getting too lean on zero carb/all meat?

For me personally, Keto would be way too hard and boring without veggies and the occasional raspberries. I absolutely love the taste of all of this stuff. That said, if I were to find out they didnā€™t jive with my body, i guess iā€™d have a tougher choice to make.

(Tom) #37

I think one aspect of food sensitivity thatā€™s overlooked is our current never-ending and unlimited supply of all sorts of foods, allowing us to eat more ā€œplant xā€ in a week than what we might not find in a year, should we be out just foraging. Seasonality is a thing, and it would surprise me none if our bodies made use of hiatuses (hiati?) from seasonal foodstuffs to deal with pro-inflammatory molecules so that 9 months later, we were again able to make use of said plant again.

Keeping in mind that we do that to survive to the point we can propagate the species. Optimal health is sadly not something out healthcare system or our physiology is really looking for, but thatā€™s for another thread.

(Tyler Young) #38

I feel your anger. I saw a mid 40s man wheezing at the doctorā€™s office yesterday as it is on the second floor. He is probably about 150 lbs overweight and I just want to tell him about this lifestyle. I think that while we can look to demonize certain people and hack scientists publishing misleading/false results, I think the real reason people got to this carb lifestyle is simply in our desire for stability as humans. It seems to be that agriculture lifestyle gave us the opportunity as a species to settle down, have a regulated food supply and really go after other great human things like science, arts, philosophy and so on. It was easy to never look back and I for one certainly donā€™t want to spend my day wandering behind packs of animals. Also, without agriculture we would not have the ability to feed all those animals that I enjoy eating today. But it is time for us to make this recognition and return to an appropriate human diet.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #39

I think Iā€™m finding out that being mostly veggie-free is working for my body, especially coming off of an extended fast. No issue with some herbs/spices, but eating larger quantities of veggies apparently didnā€™t have the affect that I thought it was having. I just had a boat load of food for my meal, Iā€™m not stuffed, not even sluggish (which I had started experiencing even with veggies before the fast), my I actually feel giddy! This isnā€™t to say that I wonā€™t ever have veggies, berries, nuts again, but in spite of my love for them, Iā€™m more than will to limit them from here out.

(Genevieve Biggs) #40

Agreed. We donā€™t even think to suspect the veggies! Arenā€™t they good for us? :roll_eyes: