Whipping Cream

(Andrea) #1

Anyone noticed a change in the availability of whipping cream? My local co-op stopped selling it about a month ago and now the Tescos has changed to Creamfields Fresh Cream. It doesn’t have any additives in it and is just whipping cream but seems odd to me.

(bulkbiker) #2

I just use double cream… never buy whipping anyway but haven’t noticed any supply problems?

Double cream is the British term for heavy or whipping cream in the United States, but it is a little thicker than our whipping cream. It contains about 48% butterfat. Double cream is so rich, in fact, that it is easy to over whip it and get it too thick. - Google 2018

(bulkbiker) #4

Not really double cream is double cream and whipping cream is whipping cream in the UK
Double cream is about 48% fat
Whipping Cream 39% fat
Single Cream 18% fat
Those numbers are from the Waitrose site

Thanks for the correction.

(Allie) #6

I just use double cream. It whips up really well if needed so I see no place for whipping cream in my life.

(Andrea) #7

Yes, I know, it’s such a trauma to just have double instead :yum:

Though I do like to mix it up sometimes double, sometimes whipping in my coffee. Just seems odd that whipping cream has suddenly become more difficult to buy.

Might be partially due to seasonality of the cows diet, here in the US the dairy farmers invest tremendously through breeding and feed to obtain highest fat content milk.

(Tricia) #9

I would love to try double cream! We only have whipping cream or heavy cream.

Me too :frowning:

(Kerin ) #11

I am only able to get it in 1 pint or 1 quart increments. Meanwhile, half and half is sold in 2 quarts, as well as regular milk. Most grocery store carry 2 rows among all other dairy. It is a poor baby among the dairy products.

Come to Australia! The local cream I have in my fridge at the moment is 52% pure fat. :yum:

(Mind you, at that level the stuff can be hard to work with, actually - it’s very thick and stiff. But yum!)

(Tricia) #13

@buxomlass, Omg, I would love to go to Australia! 52% fat in that cream?! Man, if only I could try that! I wonder if there is a way to make it myself? I have to do some googling for sure! Jyst the thought of eating cream that thick!!! :wink: :heart_eyes: :grinning:

You won’t be able to eat a lot of it … I’ve learned this the hard way, lol.

. . . just seems odd that whipping cream has suddenly become more difficult to buy. . .

I agree. The store where I shop, there is a sign on the refrigerated door by the heavy whipping cream, “LIMIT 6 PER CUSTOMER”.

(Tricia) #16

@buxomlass,
I understand! I, too have overdosed on hwc… :rofl: but still would eat it with a spoon! :wink:

(Phil Maskell ) #17

We have similar, extra thick double cream at over 50% fat :smile:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/262480260

But for really high 60% try clotted cream

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254267957

(Toni) #18

Mmm… Clotted cream. :heart_eyes:

I’ve never had clotted cream (not easy to find here). But I learned recently how to make it, so that may be my next kitchen experiment! :wink: