Where to get NMR Lipid Profile test done? or an equivalent?

Hi All,

I had a Bupa health assessment as part of my company health care scheme where they did the standard blood tests for HDL/LDL/Trigs and have since made a lot of changes to diet, including going keto, and I’d like to know what it’s done to my numbers. So I had a couple of questions:

1- rather than having to pay for an off cycle follow up at Bupa, will my local GP run the standard tests for me? if so does anyone know how long results usually take? (Bupa had them ready in about 15 mins!)

2 - assuming my LDL goes up on a standard test, as it often does when Keto, what are the best options in the UK for having the advanced LDL test (e.g. NMR Lipid Profile) to measure particle count/density (i.e. light and fluffy or not)? Bupa might do it but it seems I have to pay for a private GP appointment first in order to ask…

Grateful for any help!

(bulkbiker) #2

you can presumably get one here…
I usually use medichecks for private blood testing but they don’t offer the NMR lipid profile…

Looks like they only work with doctor surgeries directly and not patients. It would be nice to find someone where you can just buy the test directly. I’m unsure if you’d be able to get the referral through the NHS. Unless @Keto_Tom managed to get the test ordered, if so please do share!

I never found anywhere in the end, though I wouldn’t say my search was really extensive. Needless to say my doctor had never heard of it and focused primarily on the standard lipid panel and ratios. He was open minded though so I put a few links his way.

I decided to put this off until my weight stabilised, I might look at it again in 6 months or so but to be honest I think the better option will be to get a CAC scan and these do seem more widely available for those willing to pay private.

(bulkbiker) #5

Cheapest I found was £225 at Rivers Hospital in Hertfordshire. If you find it any cheaper can you please let me know.
Thanks

(Colin) #6

I’ve done a little reading, and it looks like an apoB test may be a good substitute for a full NMR lipids profile. I read the following on this site.

“In Europe and other parts of the world, LDL particle number is more commonly measured using an indirect marker, apolipoprotein B (apoB). ApoB is a protein required for the formation of the LDL particle. About 90-95% of apoB particles are LDL particles, which makes apoB a fairly accurate measure of LDL particle number. If you live in a country where the NMR profile is not available, you can use the ApoB test to roughly determine your LDL particle number, and then use triglycerides, HDL, fasting blood sugar, blood pressure and waist-to-hip ratio to determine if you have insulin resistance.”

And you can get one here for £79.

(Colin) #7

@MarkGossage I’ve just had confirmation from Invivo that they will do a full NMR profile for £110, but it has to be ordered via a doctor.

(bulkbiker) #8

Thanks for the info sir…

Hmmmm I wonder how easy it will be to convince my GP to order one even if I state I’d pay for it.

I’d need to see if they even have the facilities to do patient payments in Scotland.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

A word of caution on the ApoB test. It doesn’t really look at particle size. So, if your LDL is elevated, you could put up a big number on the ApoB test. And even on the NMR. The particle size for LDL is important as it talks to the atherogenic properties of the LDL. Small is dangerous, large is beneficial like.

You can see my recent results on my accountability journal. I kind of wish I hadn’t worked so hard to order them, to be honest. I think I will be declining any further lipid testing.