Where is the "fasting high"? or is this exaggerated?

(Eric) #22

This…
this is the feeling. A guy on youtube described as being on a mild amphetamine…

(Windmill Tilter) #23

Yup.

Norepiniphrine is how we upregulate resting metabolic rate (RMR) in the absence of food.

Amphetamines are basically synthetic epiniphrine or adrenaline with a tweak or two (pun intended)

Here is a quick primer on the chemical similarity between norepiniphrine, amphetamine, and speed. They don’t call it a fasting high for nothing!

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/mim/drugs/html/adrenaline_text.htm

(Eric) #24

how long did you fast for before achieving this? were you fat adapted?

In High school there was a girl who put away more food than football players 3x her size, she lived on a farm, ate butter, eggs, bacon daily. She naturally rejected donuts one morning and said politely that she couldn’t eat sweet stuff first thing in the morning (whilst her friends stuffed donuts in our mouths…), I wish I would’ve seen the light then, we couldn’t understand how she was so fit…

(Alec) #26

You ask a really great question that I have not asked myself recently, but perhaps should have. I did get fasting high, no question, on a regular basis. But I have to say, I don’t get it any more.

Why is this? I am guessing (I don’t know for sure), that my brain is now used to the body made drugs that I give it (@Don_Q says it is Norepiniphrine… I wouldn’t know!!), and therefore the rush I used to get is now not noticeable.

Is this perhaps the same for you?

(Eric) #27

I have never felt this high on keto. i did notice a subtle mental clarity but nothing more. I think you raise an interesting point. perhaps we need to be finding out how to replicate this feeling.

I got sidetracked earlier lol, I used to water fast often when I was younger and my experience was my mind would feel wide awake and my body totally drained…so more like insomnia than euphoria (unless I was super happy about rapid weight loss) :grin:

(Windmill Tilter) #29

I started extended fasts before keto. I started keto solely for the purpose of making the transition into fasting seemless. I started fasting 3 days feast:3 days fast on a serial basis on January 11th 2019, which was the same day I started keto. I experienced the “fasting high” at around 48hrs for the first 3 or 4 fasts. Not since. I’ve done 15 or so 84hr fasts since then.

I don’t miss the fasting high because it messed with my sleep. The “keto clarity” however has remained constant, and that’s much more valuable to me. I’ve dropped 45lbs since January, which as drug side effects go, is not terrible… :yum: