Where is the big fat meta analysis?

I want to see the gigantic meta analysis that is the data from hundreds of studies and thousands of people over a long time and shows what ketosis does to people.

There are more small studies showing positive results than there are negatives. Great. There are a few negative studies that are scary. Not so great.

But small studies are unreliable and only mass amounts of data from a huge cross section of people over a long period of time can really be convincing.

Where is it?

(bulkbiker) #2

There really aren’t any that I am aware of as there is no money to be made out of Keto… thus no financial reason for a study.
There is a Low Carb programme on diabetes.co.uk which has 250,000 participants 80% of whom report significant benefits.
You seem to be posting a lot to try to find a reason not to try this way of eating… I’m not sure why…

(Chris) #3

Find someone to pay for it.

(Ernest) #4

What are you trying to get to @Fry ?
I understand that we need to question everything but at some point we need to make a choice.
Everything has positives and negatives. Weigh pros and cons and take it from there.
There’s no perfect lifestyle.
Nobody but yourself knows what’s best for you.

I’m getting confused. Seems like you are looking for a reason to stop eating keto/LCHF.
Help us out, what are your intentions or goal?

@Ernest

I want to keep eating keto and am trying to find evidence that this is a good idea. Previously I had only come across positive studies and ate keto for a year. Now I have found some bad ones and am searching for more data to shift the scales overwhelmingly to the positive and give me the confidence to keep going.

Applogies for posting so much but each post devolves pretty quickly and can only cover so much ground.

This is why I am now searching for meta data which, it sounds like, doesn’t exist.

So now there is nothing to do, I suppose and I will not get any answers :confused:

If only I had money and could hire a keto approving doctor, then I would not be in this situation! As it is my insurance only covers a couple of doctors in my area and neither promote anything but the standard american diet.

@MarkGossage

Thanks. Quite the opposite. I ate keto for a year and it was wonderful. Now I’ve found some troubling studies and am trying to find data that will point toward these studies being incorrect and thus allow me to continue keto with confidence.

(bulkbiker) #7

There will always be naysayers and studies that maybe don’t support what you do. However if you feel great why should this diet not be for you?
Once you realise the truth that dietary studies are for the most part completely useless unless you imprison people and control exactly what they eat or what activities they undertake then there’s no real point in looking for or at the results to support what you are doing.
Far better to rely on people who have been there and are happy to share their successes with you.

(Brian) #8

Fry, I think you may be putting more value in “studies” than you should be. For every study, there is another one that will contradict it. You’ll never run out of studies or contrary opinions.

Thing of it is, you will NEVER have data that is 100% useful to you in reading about other people. Here’s what I’m getting at…

If you really want to know what’s good for YOU, not somebody in some other place and time eating stuff you don’t know and living in conditions you haven’t a clue about, maybe you should consider getting some tests done on yourself. Maybe you want to get some blood tests done to see what your lipids and other goodies look like, and plan on getting them periodically so that you can see for yourself how YOU are doing. If you want to really be in the know on the condition of your own arteries, you can have a Coronary Calcium Scan done, and have that repeated periodically, too. That’s one of the “big daddies” of tests because it’s actually looking, not just speculating about what some cholesterol level “might” be doing.

Those are things specific to YOU and ONLY YOU. Some other anomaly that happened to some lab rat in a study or a bit of data cherry-picked from a questionnaire from 1932 will have absolutely no relevance whatsoever. You become a study all your own with your own data being the most important and relevant data you could ever hope for.

Just a suggestion…

(Ernest) #9

The problem is that most studies are funded by big companies with self interests. Coco Cola will never fund a study that will conclude that sugar is bad. Such companies have thrived under the “ban fat” era.
A company will not fund a study that would prove against what they are peddling. You probably won’t find that much info because eating fat was taboo until recently.
You ate keto for a year, you wouldn’t have gone that long if you didn’t get any positive results.
If you need to get more studies you will have to turn to interviews and published articles by people that are mostly self funded.
Otherwise, it comes down to self experimentation or real world results like those found here.
Keto friendly Doctors are few and far in between.

And if you do find these studies, look closely at who funded the studies.
It’s great that you are looking for research and such but keep in mind no lifestyle is perfect.
You should do what works for you through experiments.

I tend not to stress over studies. I take pieces from here and there, pros and cons, piece them together and take it from there.

@Ernest

Thank you. Agreed. However it is noteworthy that there are dietary patterns that the majority of studies show as having health benefits. For example the Mediterranean diet. I’m no expert but to my knowledge, more studies and meta analyses show it as healthy than don’y. If science would just get funded by the right people and we could get enough positive data to heavily outweigh the negative then that would be something.

(Chris) #11

I’d love to see the bad ones. I got money on poor science. People link studies left and right on reddit all day long and you could sit there picking out where they fudged numbers to fit their agenda. Pathetic really. Damn shame we can’t fund good science, because the people with the most money can create whatever result they want. Hell, if you paid for it you could disprove gravity (cue flat earthers).

(Ernest) #12

I have never bought into the Mediterranean diet. It’s just a fancy name for eat real foods.
It’s definitely better than the SAD only because of the emphasis on real food.

The mistake was made a long time ago when they decided that health should be handled as a profitable business venture. All hell broke loose.
Misinformation is power.

(Todd Allen) #13

Even if studies showed keto was great for 99% of people it could still be awful for you. Or great for you when bad for most. You want to figure out how your body responds, that’s what matters.

(Damon Chance) #14

That is the root cause for sure.

(KetoCowboy) #15

You crazy keto people–always going after root causes.

There’s never any money in that approach.

Look up Zoe Harcombe. I’m not familiar with research terms - but I think her work is a meta analysis of the research that disputes current dietary guidelines - which clearly have not worked given the increase in metabolic related disorders. It’s a bit of a backward door into your question - but may give you a start. Below is one of her presentations from 2017 to give you a sense of what she has done “Should dietary fat guidelines been introduced?”

Hope that helps

(Ernest) #17

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! You nailed it.

(Ernest) #18

Glad you pulled up that video. I enjoyed it a few weeks ago

(Darlene Horsley) #19

I tend to think of SAD as population control. “Killing me softly…” (so no one notices) comes to mind.

@Dread1840

Please find the bad science! It would make me feel better!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4325592/

There are other studies that are not great but they involve only rats and mice so no point in bothering with them.