Where have you compromised?

(Laurie) #41

Thank you so much, @PaulL!

I analyzed why I was doing this. I think it was a passive-aggressive thing about going to the potlucks (people, and I have to cook). But I can change my attitude and be grateful the positive things about going (it makes my bf happy, the people are nice, and I get to eat what other people cooked). And I don’t have to go if I don’t want to.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

Oh, sister, I hear you there!

Nice positives to dwell on.

For me, a lot of coping involves not having expectations. They say, “An expectation is a premeditated resentment.” I hate to admit it, but this is almost invariably true.

Making my own-home made stuff is still a process (it seems like it’s the only way you can really trust what’s in there), so I compromise with stuff like, buying regular Hellman’s mayo, etc. I know that example is so silly because mayo is so easy to make… lol… but I have other priorities, for example, I just finally got the hang of a super awesome homemade chocolate bar recipe. :slight_smile: I’m pretty good about not compromising with how much carbs/sugar I eat. I have good self control over that. But yeah, I still compromise with certain store bought stuff that I could easily (and more cheaply) make myself. My husband, who is also keto, loves the Slim Fast keto bars… ugh… I buy them for him because he likes them and finds them handy when he’s out and about sometimes. I do like them, but not crazy about some of the ingredients. I make him pretty good keto snacks, but he still likes having a wrapped snack sometimes. Like, I make really good keto PB cookies and I could just put a couple in a zip lock bag for him if I didn’t want him to eat the keto bars, but… eh. And yes, if you’re thinking “wow, he really depends on you to make sure he has the right snacks”, yes, you’re right… lol. And that’s ok with me. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Speaking of rituals, be sure to come to next Thursday’s ritual, which I think you will enjoy. Your robes should have arrived by now, and remember to bring a candle. If you don’t have any incense yet, I can bring some extra, as I recently got a good deal.

And remember—don’t talk about the mother ship! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Ken) #47

You could easily use the same analogy with people who believe in the perpetual <20 g carb level of Keto dogma. The denial of Biochemistry. The reality is that carb intake is subject to the individuals degree of derangement, and the interface of chronic nutritional pattern. For some, carbs are clearly beneficial. For others still with issues, levels are best kept low until issues are reduced or eliminated.

Carbohydrates do have a role, but in much smaller amounts than the NAD, and always within the context of a primarily fat based nutritional pattern.

(Jennibc) #48

Once every four months, we go out for either pizza or pasta. I feel icky the next day, BUT it’s a psychological thing that helps. I know myself well and if I feel I can NEVER have something again, I am going to want to rebel and not stick with it. If I have it OUTSIDE of the house and we bring no leftovers home we are making a conscious decision and are mindful about it. It has never triggered a binge – or bringing back that way of eating. If it had, I would ditch it. Kind of like dessert, at this point, I only eat a small dessert when we are on vacation, because that means sugar is not a part of my regular life. I know it sounds nutty, but again if I said to myself “I am never going to have it again” I would rebel. But sugar is more of a slippery slope for me so that is why I only have a dessert when I am out of town. It’s not a part of my ‘regular’ life. Obviously, if I traveled a lot, this would be an issue. But I don’t, so it’s not!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #49

Have you tried the low-carb tortillas? We are in Northern California and our local tortilla factory makes them. 3 net carbs per wheat tortilla. I love them!

(Jennibc) #50

I recently read an article about how many food processors have LIED about the carb content of their food and mislabled it as containing far fewer carbs than it does. The article linked to this website https://low-carb-scams.com/julian-bakery-going-around-coming-around/ I know this is a bakery vs. a food manufacturer but Julian bakery started out as a ‘bakery’ I am not insisting that your bakery is doing what they did, but just be aware this is something that happens. So if you find that you are stalling consider there may be some carbs you are consuming that you don’t know about because of this kind of fraud.

(Kathleen Lupole) #51

I do not know if it is compromising or acceptable, but I buy conventional meats and some produce in the grocery stores. I cannot afford organic eggs or dairy either. But I figure if I stick to it in all other ways, I will be fine. This morning I am about to make my first batch of homemade mayonnaise with avocado oil. Then I can make my ranch dressing with that mayonnaise. If I am successful with that, I will cut those things out of my grocery budget. I order some ingredients and foods off of Amazon and Netrition and do that pretty regular. I have to stick to it and not go off or I end up back to square one.

(Jane) #52

Perfectly acceptable to eat regular non-organic.

And if you have a stick blender and mason jar making your own mayonnaise takes only a few minutes to make and virtually fool proof.

(Wendy) #53

Just don’t use virgin olive oil unless you really like the taste. :blush: I made my first Mayo with it and really disliked it.
I don’t use enough Mayo to really justify making my own. I’ve been using sour cream instead for things I might have spread it on. But could use it for some recipes for sure.

(Door Girl) #54

Everyone planning to compromise with sushi should really try sashimi next time they are out. No compromise there!

I was following Always Hungry by Dr. David Ludwig (to varying levels of intensity) over the past couple years and wasn’t eating anything with sugars in it. Now that I’m just keeping all my carbs below 20g, I’m fine to have salad dressings or other condiments that have a bit of sugar in them so long as I stay within my targets. My new “fast food” is a rotisserie chicken from Market Basket and a heaping pile of blue cheese dressing. Gives me 4 meals, plus some nice broth from the bones for $8. Both have a touch of sugar, but I round up the carbs to the next number on packaged food, and do that before multiplying by serving sizes. I also look to stay to 15g carbs or so when I use these foods in order to watch for carb creep.

I compromise when I go out to eat with my family, and my husband really likes to go out to eat. I went ahead and had my biannual tuna melt on GF bread a week or two ago, and that scratch is itched for at least another 2 years. But it was good! But I didn’t feel all that wonderful afterwards. Which is why I keep it to every 2 years or so. Back to broiling tuna salad with cheese on top… yum! And I found they have a pastrami omelette… Though next time I may just ask for a pastrami melt, hold the bread… I’ve been doing that at home.

I had a few tortilla chips a couple nights ago when I couldn’t sleep, as the crash from corn will always put me right to sleep. Not the best call, but as long as I learn… It does cement my plan to eat the table side guacamole at our local Mexican restaurant with a fork. Did that Monday and it was great!

As for oils, I try to buy things with better oils. But if I have a choice between getting something made with less good oils or likely choosing a worse option in a moment of poor planning I go ahead and get the item made with inferior oils.

(Ken) #55

I like to use EVOO and sesame oils as enhancers to mayonnaise. A little goes a long way combined with another neutral flavored oil. I also like to make tarragon vinegar mayonnaise and have it around for meat when I’m too lazy to make Bearnaise.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #56

@Jennibc I’m going to look further. These are produced by La Tortilla Factory here in my hometown. I once worked for them as a consultant and know their standards were very high then. Thanks for the eye-opening!

(Failed) #57

I’ve read The Diabetes Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting, but didn’t see anything pertaining to chocolate. Did I miss it or should I buy The Obesity Code as well?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #58

It’s the stevia and other artificial sweeteners. The more insulin resistant you are, the more likely you will get an insulin response from artificial sweeteners.

I do coco powder, vanilla and HWC. Sometimes add some walnuts or on a bad day crunchy organic peanut butter.