Where have you compromised?

(Cindy) #1

This is a question for those people who don’t, for whatever reason, stick strictly to “their” keto diet. I put their in quotes because I think most people have their ideal goals or plans, their perfect way of doing something, but then there’s what happens in the real world. :wink: And one person’s “perfect” is certainly not another’s.

For example, ideally, I want to eat <20 g carbs per day and never go off plan from keto. I prefer to stick to whole foods, home-made mayo, etc.

Well, my compromise tonight was to buy a “Know Better Cookie” because I was really wanting a particular kind of cookie from our grocery deli while shopping. So I compromised in eating something I normally wouldn’t as a better alternative to buying the cookies I really wanted. :wink:

Also, I’m splurging tonight by using some low carb bread and making a BLT.

So where do you compromise? And if you’re one of those people who started keto and never wished for something from the “pre-keto” days…go away. LOL Just kidding, but seriously, those people who can just quit whatever and never want to go back are totally foreign to me.

(Doug) #2

I totally give in to whatever, and I’ve done it enough times to realize that it’s never as good as I imagine it beforehand. I’m ‘all or nothing’ - best for me to be hardcore for as long as I can, rather than have ‘treats’ or small diversions from the plan, even if they would fit inside of 20 grams of carbohydrates.

I sometimes can’t be [spoiler]arsed[/spoiler] making my own mayo. I also have the odd piece of low carb [spoiler]toast[/spoiler].

If I want a night of burgers and fries or sushi or something, I’m gonna plan for it. I still have to live. But it keeps me on Keto/Carnivore 97% of the time, and I’m flexible enough to do it. That said, I simply cannot handle high-sugar anymore. Maybe up to a few bites of something, at most. So even on my Carb Days, I’m sticking to starches and even then it’s mostly limited to one meal, occasionally a full-blown carb piled day.

(John) #5

I use regular mayo and salad dressings (without always looking for avocado-oil based versions).
I still drink red wine occasionally
I use the regular Redi-whip whipped cream out of the can that probably has some sugar in it.
I eat blueberries in moderation when they are the berries that were on sale at the grocery store that week.

What saves me is that I keep portions small, and don’t eat/drink those things frequently.

I too eat regular Blue Plate brand mayo that has soybean oil and a trace of sugar, I guess, on my green salads and in my tuna fish salad. Still no carbs in it and I don’t eat it often enough or in large amounts. Like they say, don’t sweat the small shit.

This stuff can drive you crazy and frustrate you to the point of quitting altogether.

(Cindy) #7

My tendency is always to be “hardcore.” That’s why the compromises are difficult for me, but also necessary sometimes. Otherwise, my hardcore might go in the wrong direction, as in, screw it, I’m eating every damn thing that I want, no matter the consequences. :wink:

Definitely a balancing act between wanting this WOE to be successful for me and being able to maintain this WOL.

My BLT was very, very good. :smiley:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

Every couple of weeks two tamales, or English muffins. I’m nine months in. I maintain my weight, but would rather stay consistently in ketosis for health reasons. Sometimes this happens because I am out and about and have just waited too long to eat. Funny, nearly a year and haven’t had hash browns! I may have to make a plan for those. Drowning in butter and salt.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

A couple of dozen glazed doughnuts would go down a treat right now. If I do go out to get some, I promise to give you all time to buy stock in Dunkin’ Donuts first.

(Jane) #10

I eat keto 80% of the time because I love how I feel in ketosis

But I splurge occasionally and fast afterwards to make up for it. Totally worth it to keep me sane.

(Daisy) #11

I just try really hard to choose what I’m going to eat that’s not “keto”. Do everything intentionally. For example, the last 2 days, I had about a sixth of a banana with peanut butter. It wasn’t a cheat, it was a choice. It’s when I do something on a whim that I get myself in trouble, which I have certainly done too many times.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

I value my metabolic health too much to intentionally jeopardize it with sugar or high glycemic-index foods. It occasionally happens, however, that my cravings overpower my self-control. Until now, I have been fortunate not to have embarked on a carbohydrate binge, but it has been a near thing a couple of times.

I do promise, however, that if and when I decide to go out and get two or three dozen glazed doughnuts, I will take time to say good-bye to you all first, and give you enough time to buy stock in Dunkin’ Donuts.

(Cindy) #13

I’d be lying if I said I was eating this way for my metabolic health. Sure, I believe that it’s healthier, but I haven’t had any metabolic issues up to this point. Blood pressure, sugar, etc are usually in healthy ranges., I haven’t had to go on any meds. I’m sure I was heading that way at one point, but still…I don’t have any other markers that I can use to say “Hey, my A1C is better!” or “I’m off blood pressure meds!”. I think, maybe, if I had those goals, it’d be a bit easier.

Instead, for me, it’s all about feeling more comfortable in my own skin…as in, weight loss. And because that’s a relatively slow process, it makes those immediate “wants” sometimes feel stronger than the long-term wants.

(Jane) #14

Well I started on keto to lose weight but stayed for the health benefits I didn’t know existed.

I was overweight but had normal blood sugars, blood pressure and good cholesterol numbers. I had inflammation I didn’t know was caused by my high carb diet and I was on the road to T2D down the road… eventually.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #15

2 tablespoons of refried beans when eating mexican out. No chips. Mostly that is it. Okay so some 85% chocalote occasionally. I used to add stevia to HWC and cocoa powder once or twice a month. Not now after reading the obesity code.

When I hit maintenance weight and blood pressure I may add some more carbs back in but will stay below 40g always and maintain at 20g. That is at least my plan. I have months, many to get to maintenance.

I feel too good to slip. I’m also lucky. I’m not much of a sweet person.

(Scott) #16

I had a BLT too but I used romaine lettuce to make it a wrap instead of using bread. I am such a good boy.

(Hillary ) #17

I make keto desserts instead of cheating every once in a while with something full of sugar. I probably shouldn’t eat them every day but I do and I enjoy it. I used to love love love the low carb Russell stover candy until I found out about the effects of maltitol so I started making my own sweet treats. Right now I have some homemade fudge in my refrigerator. It’s made with heavy cream, cocoa powder, and erythritol. I love this way of eating but I will not deprive myself of chocolate.

(Randy) #18

Interesting thread. Thinking of it this way I know I have compromised in a few ways.

In 22 months I have not had a single “cheat” (I hate that term) meal or day. I’ve had a small bit of regular chocolate, and by small I mean at Christmas time I ate 2 Hershey kisses at work on two different days, and had one fun size chocolate bar at halloween.

As far as compromises, I eat conventional meats and dairy. I use light olive oil to make mayo even though it’s “processed”. And I still tend to have 3 or 4 Quest bars a week. My goals for this year are to try some avocado oil and limit the Quest bars as much as possible. Pastured meats are great, but not in the budget, but I’m going to try to source local meats even if not 100% pastured.

My motto is “Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good”. I’m 54 yrs young. (when I started keyo I was 52 yrs OLD :wink: ) I’ve lost 163 lbs, reversed pre-diabetes, improved blood pressure control, and significantly lowered inflammatory pain. So I will continue to tweak things and try to find ways to improve that are sustainable for me.
KCKO. :bacon::sunglasses:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #19

I compromise by still drinking a couple of cans of diet Mt. Dew a day and using artificial sweeteners in my covfefe.

I’ve been dreaming about some Chinese food for a couple of weeks now but I don’t want to feel crappy afterward just yet. But when I do, it will be the next “off plan” thing I eat.

(Doug) #20

:sunglasses: Randy. Cheers, man!