Where do you buy your steaks?

(George) #1

With so many options around, where do you usually get the most bang for your buck when it comes to steaks?

I’ve been trying to find a good source nearby, but keep going to Walmart since it’s the closest, unfortunately their selection is rather small. Other nearby options are Smart n Final, and ones that I haven’t been to are:Stater Brothers, Food4Less (Kroger), Ralphs, and Aldi, although I’ve seen Yelp reviews saying their meat is terrible. I also have a butcher pretty close by, a pretty large establishment actually, but I haven’t tried them out yet.

(Karim Wassef) #2

I use Kroger and watch for the butcher specials

(Brian) #3

That seems to be my best finds around here, too, although a local mom-n-pop store not far away from home has some good finds, too. Either sales (don’t know, maybe even some loss leaders??) or stuff with an expiration date approaching usually offers some good stuff if you’re not in a hurry. Interestingly, I almost never find good deals on meat at Walmart.

I have a pretty good stash of stuff in the freezer already. We’d be fine if I didn’t buy any meat for several weeks, maybe a month. But when I go to the store, I’m always on the lookout for a bargain. Sometimes I find really good ones, sometimes I don’t find any. But I often will buy when I find a good deal even if I don’t need anything today. Freezers are a wonderful thing. :slight_smile:

(Scott) #4

Lidl is a store similar to Aldi and has some great sales on meat. Bacon was $2.40 a pack last weekend. Easy to find grass fed steaks there and often have sales. Wife and I usually cook two and split one. The other is for the lunch salad next day.

Up until yesterday I was getting beef, except for ground, from Meijer, (ground beef we get free from my in-laws beef share, as long as we don’t go to crazy with taking it-tomorrow for example I’m picking up a couple pounds to make the family sloppy joes for supper). But, I stopped into a local butcher shop yesterday to check it out and there’s no going back-the quality, freshness and taste has ruined me from ever buying regular store bought meat again :yum: It’s definitely pricier but they do have monthly sales so I’m going to start watching those and then when the cuts I like go on sale I’ll buy a bunch and stash them in my chest freezer. I also have a goal to get in on a beef share later this year, probably when my in-laws order their next one later this summer. I think they’re only paying around $3lb for all cuts, and that includes the processing fee!

Also, I’d check out Aldi-they do have grass fed beef now and they’re continuing to come out with more and more organic options, like pastured eggs etc. Their prices can’t be beat :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

We buy a ribeye loin at Sam’s club and cut our own. Usually get 12 to 15 steaks plus some odd pieces for stir fry. Quality is usually fine.

(Jim) #7

I used to get very good Prime steaks from Costco but we’re no longer members. Now I get from a local butcher.

(George) #8

What’s the price difference between local butcher and Costco?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

We buy ribeye loins from Sam’s club at $9.95/lb. It is choice not prime. Local butchers are significantly more expensive than that for choice and prime is $20+ / lb in Richmond VA.

Costco had prime ribeye last time I was there for $12.95/lb as a loin. The loins weigh 10 to 16 lbs. We buy the bigger ones. Costco and Sam’s loins are not trimmed but the butcher’s cut is. We like some of the extra fat.

(George) #10

Ah, good to know! I’ll look into my local Sam’s and see what I can find.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

There’s this guy with a horse drawn cart; I notice that he seems to get a new horse every few days…

(Scott) #12

“Tell the chef this steak still has marks where the jockey was hitting it”

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

My experience exactly, overpriced. I was in Florida for two months recently and Aldi had way better prices, although a more limited selection.

I’m west coast and we have Grocery Outlet here. I got three more 2lb. packages of Wright Slab Bacon this morning for the lowest price yet, $3.99 ea. I have about 8 packages in the freezer now. I love the stuff. They always have grass fed ground beef for $3.99-4.99 lb. organic beef and chicken pretty cheap, and grass fed NZ ground lamb for $5.99 lb. and whole beef tenderloin for $5.99 lb. I unlike many Ketonians have no problem eating lean cuts of meat, I get plenty of fat from bacon and cooking with bacon grease or coconut oil. Also great deals on wild caught frozen seafood like Pink Salmon, Gulf Shrimp, and Rock Cod. And don’t get me started on their Cheese deals and cheap Eggs!

:cowboy_hat_face::cheese::bacon::fried_shrimp::cut_of_meat::egg:

Costco usually. But earlier this week I got some Angus ribeyes on sale at the expensive grocery near me (QFC/Kroger) for the same price as I usually buy non-Angus at Costco. So I snapped them up.

I want to check out a local butcher that I’ve been hearing good things about, but I’m afraid it will be too pricey for a good long-term option for me.

I’ve checked out the local farmer’s market, but everything there is at least 50% more than the regular grocery (fancy huge Safeway) and even more compared to Costco. Of course it’s all grass-fed, grass-finished, too. #meatgoals

(George) #15

I completely forgot about Grocery Outlet, I have one nearby. Do you think it’s better than Aldi?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

These stores always have stuff that comes and goes. I’ve shopped at Grocery Outlet way more, I don’t have ALDI here, but they had some really great buys on eggs in Florida, $0.79 dz. If I had both nearby I’m the kind of shopper who would hit both. :cowboy_hat_face:

We have a grocery outlet a few minutes away and it’s hit or miss, but I can usually find bacon there for $1.99lb, (sometimes it’s frozen but I freeze it anyways so not a big deal), vs Aldi it’s around $3 a package? The outlet store also always has great deals on deli style meats, hot dogs and brats etc. We’re talking .99 type of prices :slight_smile:

I love Aldi and it’s my go-to store for a lot of things, but their meat section is smaller. If you have one within 30 minutes of you I’d definitely check it out though, especially for non-meat items-they carry a nice selection of inexpensive specialty cheeses, nuts, paper goods (love their tp, lol) etc.

(George) #18

I have grocery outlet 2 minutes away, and Aldi 4 minutes away LOL. I’m mainly just trying to figure out where to get the most meat (steaks specifically) for cheap, but fresh vegetables too

I regularly shop at Aldi, Meijer, the outlet store and I’ve also just added a local butcher shop to the mix. I spend waayy to much time shopping :sweat_smile:

Definitely check both of them out! I’ve never had good luck with the produce prices at the outlet store (they mark them up), but Aldi usually has really good prices on fresh produce, as well as bags of frozen-I love their steamers bags of CA blend veggies, broccoli and then I still buy their frozen mixed berries to add to my green smoothies :slight_smile: The bags of frozen veggies run around $1-$1.50 each and the berries are $2. A couple weeks ago they also had avocados for .89 each!