Where do you buy your steaks?

I have a friend that calls this place Groc-Out, pronounced Gross-Out. Now, every time someone mentions it, I crack up.

(Karim Wassef) #22

I try to draw the line at $6.50/lb for steak. If it’s a nice cut, I may give in at $9.50 but I just can’t bring myself to pay more… even for nicely marbled ribeye or tenderloin.

(Doug) #23

I think that if one is willing to do a little work and can freeze the meat, this is the way to go. Getting a whole subprimal cut (or even a primal cut if one is really set up for it) can make things vastly cheaper. For longer storage, a vacuum sealer also helps.

BeefKnuckle50

Beef knuckle or “sirloin tip roast.” 4 kg/9lbs of meat, cost me just over $3 per lb. Some connective tissue to deal with, but I got 10 little steaks that were almost as good as filet mignon after sous-viding and searing, and a good bit of leftover meat for stir frying or use in stew/soup.

Getting a whole beef tenderloin is also a good way to go. I see them for $10-$11 per lb in the U.S., often, less than half the usual price for filet mignon anymore. Usually sold as PSMO Tenderloin, “Peeled, Side Muscle On.”

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #24

I buy all my groceries from Wegmans :grin:

(Scott) #25

One day at costco my wife was picking up a tenderloin and the label read ground beef, she bought three.

:grinning:

(Bob M) #26

I feel like a glutton. I usually eat two steaks myself. And some shrimp.

I try to buy the primals, but they can get expensive. I went to Costco the other day and came out $450 poorer.

(Brian) #27

I wish I could happen upon some good deals for that here. I found it once, marked way down at Kroger, and I bought a bunch of it. But I’ve never seen it since, at least not at a price anywhere near what it was.

I’m kinda fussy about my salmon. I don’t want farmed cause I know too much about what a lot of them get fed. And I just can’t bring myself to buy something, even if it says “wild caught” on the label, that says, “product of China”.

I really like fish. But it can be really expensive. The fish in our pond aren’t likely to provide enough for a while… but that’s another subject… and I’m not much of a fisherman…

(Sexy) #28

Costco meat is the best

(Todd Batitis) #29

We vary based on what we are looking for at the time. If we are specifically looking for steaks and we are at Costco already we will often pick up a pack but most of the time we get our meat from local grocery chains like Safeway or Albertson’s. We specifically look for the markdown specials for things coming off sales or the like. For instance, the other day I got a nice grass fed ribeye that was just over a pound raw weight and was marked $17 at regular price but they had them on sale that week for $9 a pound so it was just over $9 as a sale price BUT… because the sale was ending that day… they had another 50% off sticker on it and I got it for roughly $5. :slight_smile:

Did the same with some halibut this past week. They had 2 packs that totaled about 1.6 pounds that would have normally been something like $23 but on sale they were $12 and I got them on 50% markdown for a little over $6. :slight_smile:

The best thing about this method is you never know what you are going to have for dinner. You might be thinking steak or shrimp… and get there and find out there is a KILLER markdown on Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs :slight_smile:

Of course, if the local butcher shop I buy my meat snacks and smoked pig ears for the dogs keeps posting this stupid picture on my Facebook wall I am going to have to break down and fork over the $24 a pound for this stuff! Sadly, the $9 per OUNCE for the Waygu ribeyes are a BIT out of my price range.

(Todd Batitis) #30

The wife and I have been talking about getting a chest freezer and biting the bullet on some grass fed locker beef and such. It is pretty expensive though as one big hit but you spread it out…

When I was a kid my dad had one of the giant chest freezers you could hide 2 or 3 dead bodies in (we kept a lot of popscicles in it LOL). He and a couple uncles would go in on a hog or half a cow or whatever now and then and just fill it up. We don’t really have anyone else to do that with but with things like Crowd Cow, it might be an option in the long run.

Check craigslist etc for a used one-we got a small chest freezer for $30 from a friend who had thrown it up on FB, thing works fine and it fits perfectly on our back porch :slight_smile:

(Todd Batitis) #32

Yeah, I had that idea a decade ago. Space in the house (even in the laundry room) is limited and there isn’t really room for one. I was seeing a lot of them on Craigslist (some were the very large ones even) for free or cheap and suggested getting one. “We could just put it out on the back deck. There is already a grounded outlet out there.”

“I am not going to have a freezer on my deck like some redneck hillbilly. Not gonna happen!” was the response I got LOL. :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #33

I just did it… she has to find a way to move it now…

(Deborah ) #34

I usually shop at Fry’s (Kroger) and wait until they have their ribeyes or NY strips for about $4.97/lb, which is every few weeks, then stock up, as I eat a lot of steak. Not grass-fed, but that’s not a requirement IMHO.

(Boston_guy) #35

CostCo has good ribeyes at usually $9.50/lb. Very thick, so do reverse-sear. Takes about an hour and I feed everyone steak for breakfast.

I’m experimenting with brisket ($4/lb), trying to find a good recipe that gets the meat tender without too much work.

Low and slow. You can smoke it, or crockpot it, put it in a solar oven, whatever, but that’s the only way to break down that collagen, especially in the point. I’ve actually experimented with just making brisket steaks, but it doesn’t really work with the point. It’s where the most fat is, but also where the toughness is. The flat sliced like thick bacon and seared made a very tough, but not inedible steak. Trying this with the point was impossible to even chew at all in some parts.