Where do I start

Hi all!
I need help. I’m 3 days I. With my husband taking care of meal plans and calculations. I feel fine other than hunger last night at bedtime. I’m a healthcare provider also that would like to offer more information from my own experience to my patients but as I’m trying to research I’m finding it difficult to weed through all the material. Can anyone recommend a reliable source? Also where is a good place to start to make sure my husband is getting my macros correct?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

The most important part is to limit carbohydrate, to keep insulin low. We recommend starting out with 20 g/day as the upper limit, just to ensure ketosis. Your actual threshold may be higher, depending on how insulin resistant you are, but wait till your muscle cells switch to burning fatty acids. The changeover takes 6-8 weeks, usually; after that you can experiment to find your actual carb threshold. The rest of this way of eating is moderate protein (more if you work out), and fill in with fat to make up for the calories no longer coming from carbohydrate. But eat only to satisfy your hunger; a lot of people have the misconception that they need to stuff themselves to the gills with fat, which is erroneous.

I started out by watching a lot of YouTube videos. Go find the LDCU (Low Carb Down Under) channel, and start watching. The presentations are at a layman’s level, but they all contain scholarly references which you can follow up at your leisrue. Especially look for presentations by Phinney, Volek, Eades, Ede, Westman, Bikman, Diamond, Gerber, Fung—all well-known researchers and physicians. Also look for the names Feldman, Cummins, Berger, O’Hearn, Higgins, Ramos. There are others I’m forgetting; I hope they’ll forgive me. But start with those names, and you won’t go wrong. Have fun down here with us in the rabbit hole!

P.S.—Once you start watching LCDU videos, the YouTube system will start recommending other presentations from other channels. That will help you branch out.

(Jessica) #3

This is @juice’s guide, and I love how succinct it is.
Keto Is This Easy

If you want research, there’s a good bit of that, too. I started with YouTube videos of Dr. Stephen Phinney’s, as he’s the one who coined the term “ketogenic diet”.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Also, if you search YouTube for “ketofest,” I believe that videos are now available from two events hosted by our own 2 Dudes, Carl and Richard—I attended Ketofest 2018, and was very impressed by the quality of the presenters. You’ll get more names worth following from checking this out.

The Two Keto Dudes podcasts are also well worth listening to, but I started with the other stuff because it is more research-oriented. Carl and Richard, in their podcasts, present the same material at a more popular level, though they try to be as rigorous as possible about the underlying science. And they’re a lot of fun to listen to, and they interview neat people.

(Scott) #5

Another name to checkout a Gary Taubes. Also a great book that you may enjoy is “Tripping Over The Truth” although not really a keto book but more about low carb and cancer. The documentary that I spotted channel surfing that forced me into researching keto titled “The Magic Pill” is one that I will never forget. I doubt you will get board in this new endeavor. Everything you thought you knew about a proper diet is going to get turned upside down.

Thank you I will definitely be checking this out! If I’m correct my husband has set macros for me at 28 g carbs, 80 g protein, and 199 g of fat. I have be more involved to see where he calculated this information from. I will also check the Keto fest out. I am very interested. I have worked with epilepsy patients many years ago who received profound results on the Keto Diet so I’m interested to see how this works out for other ailments and of course my own personal well being also. I am 5’3 and obese at 34 BMI or 203 lbs. Traditional methods work for me but I’m interested in Keto and the science that definitely bears more credit than it’s been given.

I stumbled upon the documentary Magic Pill on Sunday night. Definitely an experience and eye opener. Thanks for the info!!! I originally months ago set out to debunk my husband in regards to Keto lifestyle but I have found through research and experience that there is scientific evidence supporting it and there is quality in maintaining if principle is in place.

(Scott) #8

I think the quote from the Magic Pill that really got me thinking was near the beginning. “Why is it that the only two animals that cannot self regulate their weight is man and any animal cared for by man”. After years of limiting calories only to start gaining weight again this phrase really got my attention.

(Tracy) #11

I’m a broken record, but in my opinion the best advice I can give someone is to know how to find hidden carbs on labels. You will soon learn that food labels are full of lies. “Zero Sugar” usually means they are using sugar by another name called maltitol or maltodextrin. Those are allowed to be considered sugar alcohols but they run your blood sugar up as much a regular sugar. I didn’t know that for decades and didn’t understand why I wasn’t losing weight by eating Atkins bars.

Decision making.