Where can I buy Keto friendly food?

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #41

@FatMan that’s fair enough buddy - I am fortunate in that I don’t suffer the deranged metabolic problems you have. Thus i can get away with whey. I know some people do have an insulin spike when taking the powder, and we mustn’t forget that protein has around a 45% the effect of glucose on insulin secretion (@richard i think that’s what you said?) Best thing though is to test your response to different foods :slight_smile: - but great on having been a T2D that is great work.

Stews and briskets are always good.

I avoided artificial sugar and anything sweet other than blackberries and raspberries for the first 3 months. I still rarely eat them

(Keto Travels) #43

For some variation with the eggs, frittata works quite well for me! Just mix with any meat and veg of your choice/ what’s around … I particularly like spinach with some smoked salmon on the side, or asparagus/Cherry tomato/beef strips …

(Daniel Crispin) #44

I went to the Bulk Barn tonight (at Marché central for those of you in Montreal). I was pretty disappointed with the prices. For a place that sells whole sale, the prices are higher than what you would find in a supermarket. The only good thing there is that they have some items I could not find anywhere else in Montreal.

I purchased about 400g of Stevia/Erythritol mix, 400g of Monkfruit sugar/Erythritol mix and 400g of dark cocoa powder and all of it came to 30$ with taxes. So I am not sure I will buy there again, will have to see if I can find better prices online (on Amazon for instance).

I was also disappointed not to find Brazil nuts there. I have been unable to find Brazil Nuts anywhere in Montreal. Macademia nuts are available but at a completely insane price. I believe the lowest I have found was 25$ per Kilogram. Compared to Almonds that I can find at 8$ per kilogram, it seems to me like this items is overpriced… how is it in the states?

For comparison for you guys using the imperial system, 1 Kilogram is 1000 grams and is equivalent to 2.2 pounds.

So it took a while but I feel like I have pretty much everything I want to cook with now. Except maybe MCT oil but again, that item is super expensive here, about 35$ for a bottle of roughly 1 liter. So it’s about 3 times the price of good quality Coconut oil. I know it’s refined from coconut oil to it makes sense it would be a lot more expensive since coconut oil only contains about 20% MCTs but still… I think for now I will stick with cold pressed coconut oil for my recipes and low cost standard coconut oil to cook in.

(Candy Lind) #45

Not alcohol, sugar alcohols. Sugar that is chemically changed - most do not affect blood sugar and do not need to be counted as carbs. NOTE I said MOST. 2 biggies: maltitol is in that Atkins crap you bought (MHO) and very likely affects your blood sugar and should be counted as a carb. Xylitol is popular and has low GI, but IS HIGHLY TOXIC TO DOGS. Either avoid it if you have dogs or be VERY careful about where you store it.
Here, educate yourself. And watch a few videos where keto folks give their opinions on what and what not to use AFA sweeteners go. KetoConnect and Cooking Keto with Christie both have videos on sweeteners.

(Becky) #46

Here’s a chocolate mug cake recipe that is easy, quick and won’t hurt ya.

2 TBSP cocoa powder (cheap at Walmart, aldis, trader joes)
1 egg
1 TBSP heavy whipping cream (Walmart, aldis and trader joes…try the shelf stable boxes at TJs, they keep well and are cost effective)
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Tsp of sweetener or to taste

Whip it together pour into greased mug (I use bacon grease…yum). Microwave for 90 seconds. Eat with real cream whipped cream in the can (Walmart, aldis)

I batch cook by boiling a dozen eggs and storing them in the fridge.

Making turkey sausage (ground turkey meat (not lean) and seasoning of choice) large family package, shaped into patties, baked on a cookie sheet, cooled, freeze, don’t even have to reheat if I’m on the run.

Carl’s recipe for pulled beef, my version is in the oven, largest, fattiest chuck roast I can find, heavily seasoned, maybe some additional fat I’ve begged the butcher for, covered, cooked low and slow in the oven till fork tender. Then rip it apart with two forks, right in all the grease and juice in the pan. It reabsorbs the juices and I freeze it in 1/2 cup servings (sandwich bags). I’ve been meaning to try this with a pork shoulder…ohhh.

(Becky) #47

Butter bob! Butter makes your pants fall off and the magic of steaks and hamburgers. He has a ton of great videos.

Can you buy real whipped cream in a can that does not have added sugar? I don’t think I’ve ever seen this, but it would be a time saver to have that on hand. Brand?

(Troy) #49

Lindt 90% bars

So that would be about $12 per lb (2.2 lbs per kilo). That is high but not insane. I buy them at Trader Joes and pay 8 or 9 US for 10 ozs (a lb has 16 ozs)

(Amber Davidson) #51

Aldi has a ton of the basics.

Grass fed beef 85/15. Not great but $5.99.
Frozen veggies.
Grass fed cheese, Kerry gold butter, whole Greek yogurt, sourcream…

Pork rinds
Olive oils

Cagefree, organic or factory Eggs…
I havemy own chickens :chicken: pastured, free range.
(Cage free means kept in a warehouse, they still don’t see the sun or eat a bug or grass ever)

Bone broth at any whole foods store.

Walmart has the least expensive store brand of plain gelatin I’ve found or was it Redners? Big box $4.99.

Ghee at an Indian food store.

Fun stuff!

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #52

You can get a lot of keto food from the grocery store, eggs, cheese, butter, leafy green veggies, almond milk, nuts, healthy oils. Some things I purchased on Amazon-sugar alternatives, almond flour, MCT Oil. Some grocery stores carry grass-fed beef or organic chicken-you just need to read labels. Whole foods or a similar store can also be a good resource. Keep thinks simple at first. Find the keto foods you love and use them as your base.

Finally, bone broth-best to make it yourself-so, so simple. Plenty of recipes online-most involve bones, maybe some celery/onion, spices-to your liking and apple cider vinegar. Cook for 24+ hours, then strain and freeze using ice cube trays.

(James) #53

I am sorry if it has been covered already, but your profile says you are in Montreal? If that is true, there has to be many stores that would carry MTC oil, grass fed meats and butters and cheeses, and any flour you could want.

Here is the google search I used to find stores that should have these items in your area. Sometimes with Keto, you have to be creative. You have to start loving spices and learning that there are other diets out there that do get some things right. So, use them. Non-wheat flours and anything “grass fed” are going to be in more natural stores.