When Trolling happens

(Richard Morris) #1

Every January people’s minds turn to New Years resolutions and losing some weight … and because this year the most googled diet term is “Keto” the ketogenic diet attracts good interest from people wanting to find a new diet, and bad interest from people trying to flog their own rubbish by trolling ketogenic dieters.

A perfect example of a keto troll is the US News, last January this was their diet review … anyone on the panel who had a diet got it into the top few … any diet that is threatening those because it is reversing diseases across the country … last.

Here is their 2017 story - January 4th

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2017-01-04/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2017

And of course as sure a stink follows shit it’s back again in 2018 reusing the same copy including telling us of the new fangled keto diet that is new to their list (they said that in 2017 too)

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2018-01-03/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2018

They do it every year. I’d give the US News and their panel of experts the troll badge

Speaking of people who need the troll badge … Dr WIlliam Davis, every year he also blogs about how awful keto is … and every year we have a thread about that

He has a book to sell, it’s January and the internet is a target rich environment of potential dieters … and everyone is googling “KETO” … OK so that’s one way to get some attention.

Spoiler: He’s wrong. @amber has the science to show it on her blog …

… but his scare BS will get him attention so does he even care to be correct?

Finally this time of the year we often attract vegans who are convinced that we are eating wrong coming to show us the error of our ways.

case in point: I'm a HCLF vegan, convince me I'm wrong

Veganism is not a nutritional argument, it’s an ethical position. I respect vegans, and I know plenty who try very hard to eat nutritionally within their ethical framework. I’m even considering doing keto vegan for a month this year just to walk in their shoes.

What I don’t respect is trolls staving for attention who have no other contribution but to rile people up for LULZ.

That one I am happy to give a troll badge too … there have been other more subtle ones. One earnest poster trying to convince people in the zero carb group that they need more plants. In that case I’m not awarding a troll badge cos I think the poster is just misinformed, and I don’t want to make fun of that.

Look I troll sometimes, like when Diabetes Australia or the Dietitians Association of Australia posts diets for diabetics that are clearly just carby products from their sponsors … I jump on and post snarky responses and if I get a response from a student dietitian trying to baffle me with some science-adjacent terms … I drop Grabthar’s hammer of Science on them.

We tolerate a little trolling, and make happy sport of that, so please flag posts you think are flat out trolling we’ll likely leave the post but give the poster a badge. If they collect too many troll badges they’ll be suspended. We don’t really need people in this community who are only here to troll, but we can tolerate some sport.

(Ethan) #2

Well put. I think also there is a self-trolling test to many of these, including for the HCLF vegan poster. Generally, they won’t have an interest to keep the trolling going forever. That poster seems to have stopped responding–whether by badge restriction or self-restriction I am not sure.

(Sophie) #3

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #4

I get frustrated by the TROLLS. I have to remind myself to just go read something else.

(CharleyD) #5

Oh no, I didn’t know about Dr Davis’s stance on keto. I read Wheat Belly and thought the keto WOE fit in nicely.

sigh, there’s just not enough time in the day to keep current on everyone’s latest positions :persevere:

(Richard Morris) #6

Here’s another one … this is really more like link bait to get people to share their story which then invents a bunch of strawmen to knock down (like apparently when we don’t eat carbs we break down glycogen in our muscles)

(Chris) #7

Should rename the hammer GRABTHAR’S BANHAMMER!

(Richard Hanson) #8

Oh Richard … veganism would only be an ethical position if it was actually ethical.

Now … “show me the science” … that is an ethical position.

Keto for Life!

Most Respectfully,
Richard