When insulin is elevated, how do other diets succeed at least short term?

(Olivia) #21

You can lose weight with any diet. That’s not the problem. In fact, I can lose weight with a vegan, conventional or low carb diet as long as I maintain a moderate kcal deficit. What differentiates the diets from one another is personal sustainability. Can you stick to this way of eating without taxing your self-control all the time and are you getting enough macro-and micronutrients for a powerful body throughout your life? I have drifted slowly to a ketogenic way of eating quite naturally on my own instincts. I naturally chose nutrient rich low carb veggies and feel better with a large variety of meats and fish on my plate. Going by taste, who would actually prefer low-fat over high-fat dairy? No one.

(Ken) #22

I practiced these type of diets for several decades when I was younger. In the 1970s-1980s they were popular, especially in the bodybuilding/fitness world. Due to caloric restriction, they would induce lipolysis and cause fat loss. However, lipolysis was fairly intermittant, rather than being sustained while following a fat-based pattern. They also are not as effective with dealing with the detrimental hormonal conditions like leptin and insulin resistance. They were also terrible as far as constant hunger with frequent ghrelin secretions. Throw in the temporary concept of a “diet”, with resumption of a Carb based SAD pattern afterwards and you have classic Yo-Yo dieting.

Fat based, lipolytic nutrition leads to relief of metabolic derangement, fat loss, and overall good health. It is arguably Mankind’s normal nutritional pattern in the evolutionary sense.

(Robert Hollinger) #23

That wasn’t my experience at all. I consistently lost 3-5 pounds per week and was rarely hungry. Now whether or not it was improving hormone levels I don’t know. I can assume it didn’t but I don’t know for sure. I know I lost about 70 pounds in 4 months which included Christmas, Thanksgiving, and a week long family vacation on the road.