When does the day's carb count reset?

(Aya Ravensong) #1

I haven’t begun to find anything even resembling an answer to this question yet.

Here’s my situation: I often have all nighters, or just generally a weird sleep schedule. (The benefits of not having a strict work schedule.) But this is something I’ve been struggling with my whole life. Sometimes it’s more normal, other times my circadian rhythm is doing the samba and I find myself waking up for the day at midnight. (Like today for example, hence why this question comes to mind.)

So, if the goal is to only have 20 or less carbs in a day, what constitutes as a “day?” If I’ve been awake from 4AM until 8pm, then wake up at 12am, do my carbs continue as if it is the same day? Or do I reset for a new day? What is it that makes the difference?

Once my sleep schedule gets nice and properly ruined like this, an entire week can become like a single long day broken up by various lengthed naps. So, what is the determining factor for when I should reset my day’s carbs?

My guess would be an extended amount of sleep, but what counts as “an extended amount?” 6 hrs? 8? 4? (Because 4 hours is a nap, but simultaneously way too long to just be a nap.)

Could it perhaps be the amount of time since my last meal? When sleeping a full night, its usually like 11ish (I’m estimating) hours or more between dinner and breakfast, if you are making sure not to eat for a few hours before bed. So would the carb reset be based on the fasting time? If so, how much is enough? I know lots of changes happen in the body when asleep, so does sleeping during this time matter?

Basically, I’m confused and this is likely to be a recurring problem. So I’d really like to figure this out without accidentally throwing myself out of ketosis.

Thanks for any help.

(Carl Keller) #2

I wouldn’t worry so much about what constitutes a day. I’d just do my best to make the appropriate response to hunger. If you continue to feed it the right things, it will settle into a natural pattern and tell you when the time is right to eat.

Holding yourself to 20 carbs may seem like a challenge at first, but after a month or so it should become easier. Just remember, the more real food you eat, the better your hunger will behave and eventually, 20 carbs won’t feel so limiting.

I think a bigger concern should be to try to get into a better sleeping pattern. When we are well rested, we tend to be less stressed and have better judgement… ie are less cranky, less likely to eat poorly and our bodies more inclined to burn body fat.

In the meanwhile, I would say reset your carb count after you wake up… even if it’s only four hours. If you are eating only two meals between sleeps and not snacking, this should allow you to stay under 20 fairly easily.

(Alec) #3

Choose your own preferred time of day and then stick to it. Simples.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

If I was trying to manage this problem I’d probably say from 8 am to 8 am is one day and spread those carbs out over a 24 hour period. I also agree that if you aren’t snacking and only eating when you’re hungry and keeping carbs very low that can work but I imagine having a poor sleep schedule messes with your hunger signals (it does for me).

How long have you been eating low carb? If you’re new to it, you may find it helps (along with other sleep hygiene techniques) to promote a normal schedule. Best wishes!

(Aya Ravensong) #5

Lol, you don’t have to tell me twice! I always knew about the crankiness and poor judgement, but I only recently learned that terrible sleep can effect weight loss/gain. I realized that it explained a lot, but also meant I was in a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the advice.

(Aya Ravensong) #6

Not long. Just a little over 2 weeks. I have heard that keto helps people to regulate their sleeping habits, and I said yes please! Definitely not experiencing that yet. But I’m trying to give it some time. Thanks for the help.

(Aya Ravensong) #7

That’s a pretty simple solution. Thanks.

(traci simpson) #8

24 hours?

(Consensus is Politics) #9

I asked nearly that same question about a year ago. I came to the conclusion to just count it literal. 24 hours. I did this because of the way i was eating, one meal a day.

My question went a little further than yours. I was looking at joining family meals, 3 a day maybe, and was trying to figure out if it was better to spread my carbs out or eat them all in one of the meals? Rhetorical question really, as I was pretty much eating ZERO carbs anyway. But I really wanted to know.

I got a great reply, from @Dipper_Actual iirc, paraphrasing… it would probably be best to eat them all at one time, keep the insulin spike isolated to one time a day. BIG BADDA BOOM!

So if I have carbs now, I intend to get them all out of the way at one time whenever possible. Keep insulin as low as possible as long as possible.

From my experience it does.
I was getting to bed and sleep way too late, or should that be early? It was often 2 or 3am, and then I was sleeping much of the day. I felt awful and was tired of being tired. Having obstructive sleep apnea doesn’t help either.

I’ve now done about 5 weeks on keto. I still have to use my cpap machine but …
I’m now regularly in bed before midnight, often before 11, I don’t play games so much in bed, I feel tired and sleep.
During the day I have more energy, actually get some jobs done and if I do fall asleep, its for an hour or so rather than for most of the day.
Im not saying that everything is hunky dory now, but my sleep is much more regular and I feel better for it.

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #11

I work shift work and my schedule rotates every week between day shift and graveyard shift. I don’t track on night shift because I only eat when I’m hungry and normally I’m not as hungry on nights as I am on day shift. I concentrate on fat intake and satiety.

(Jody) #12

Not getting sleep is a HUGE stress on the body. I never understood this either till I had my first baby. Your schedule sounds like a nightmare!

(Lori) #13

I’m brand new to keto and came to find out this information. Had to reply because, honestly I’ve never related to anyone more than I do with the op on their sleep schedule! Mine is almost identical and that’s been a lifelong battle! You are not alone!
(Also, going with 24hr rule seems to make sense)

(Robin) #14

Welcome to the forum! Glad you’re here.
Bear in mind that the op has been inactive for 2 years and will probably not see this. But others may jump in.

(Joey) #15

@BcBeauty Welcome! Being new to keto is always a mix of excitement, motivation, and angst. Hopefully you enjoy learning and sharing along the way. :vulcan_salute:

(As @robintemplin notes above, the thread you replied to was last active in Apr 2019, but perhaps you’ve resurrected the topic :wink: )

(KM) #16

I think Alec answered the question back when, but in case you didn’t see it, it doesn’t really matter when you “call it a day”, just keep a consistent 24 hour period.