When does my self image catch up?

(Wendy) #21

Wow Thank you so much. I have alot of analyzing to do. Had kind of a kick. I became a blood donor. And found out my blood type. Was a disappointment. Cause I’m A+ and for that blood type says basically not a meat eater. Unlike O-s. My husband. Although the list of foods they suggest, are foods I cant eat. So guess its something you can take or leave it.
Seems like just more of a challenge. So today is a new day and everything will be put on a log. Still have 20# to go. And alot of work to do. Agian Thanks for the reply!!!

(Laurie) #22

I looked into that blood type diet thing too. Not true in my case.

This self-image question is very interesting. I was a skinny child, and I was very aware of this because one of my parents considered it a problem. In adulthood I gradually became slightly fat, and ultimately 50 pounds overweight.

But I always thought of myself as slim. It’s a kind of denial that counteracts what I see on the scale or in store windows, etc.

I don’t want to compete on looks (e.g., as a romantic prospect), and I’ve asked myself why I want to be slender.

I think it’s more about power. I don’t want to be dissed as “the fat person” in various dealings. I can’t do anything about the social effects of being old or female. But I can look like a normal person who “takes care of themselves,” which seems to be something that many people judge us on.

LEAVE IT! All that blood type diet crap is a way to write books and sell people programs. You’re a human, you’re a meat eater! Listen to your appetite (unless it tells you to eat a case of cupcakes).

(Wendy) #24

Funny, that’s what my husband said!!! Yeah Keto has worked so far why break something that works. I appreciate all the words of wisdom…
Thank you agian!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

I think that stuff about different foods for different blood types is a load of nonsense. I’m A+ as well, and do just fine on a diet of mostly meat (love that bacon!).

As for the main topic of this thread, it wasn’t till after I started eating keto that I began to realise just how fat I really was! I suppose that’s because until then I needed the denial to keep going. And while I’m by no means thin these days, either, at least when looking in the mirror I can definitely see the difference between today and four years ago.

(Wendy) #26

Thank you Paul! There was a time when I lost alot of weight with a drs help. And still didnt actually see how thin I was. That fat lady ghost still followed me. I have not thrown in the towel yet. Just got off track. And guess was grasping at straws. For excuses. This website gives me hope and strength to keep up the fight. And am thankful for everyone on this site. Their experiences are truly appreciated.

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

I am still waiting, I have a distorted body image and even though my clothes sizes are telling me I am smaller, I never seem to feel smaller.

At least I am healther and in reality I am smaller. So I just carry on and try not to think about it.

(Robin) #28

I will forever have an inner fat girl that thinks I need to head to the plus sizes and cover up. My brain knows better, my mirror shows different and my smaller clothes don’t lie. But, I think the longer you have struggled with weight (and/or yo-yo-ing), the harder it can be to grasp reality… you’re new and improved.

In a way tho, I am glad my fat girl still has a voice… she has learned a few things over the years that keep me humble and on track.

(Pete A) #29

It’s been 4 years and that’s been one of the biggest challenges, and far to go.

It’s this realization of me in this new space.

I see it as a good problem to have though and will take time…

mine never has cause ya know what…alot of my self image is based on my age…I looked and rocked my 20s and 30s and into my 40s OK and then downhill and one thing I can do is get thinner, one thing I can not do is ‘go back in age’ dammit and I am a super chicken on ANY elective surgery to ‘maybe fix’ some crap I hate LOL

so my age is kinda my block to that self image catch up thinking??

I am nearing 60 but think 20 and feel 20 but damn, I sure as heck see differences in the mirror on that one I don’t know if I ‘can catch up on’ but older I get, one thing comes into play…enjoy the darn time ya got and you can never go back truly so live live live for the day I guess…yea still trying to pony up the 20s to the near 60s in the mirror for me and it ain’t all a clothing size at all I guess.

just chatting and throwing out how it is for me :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #31

This a thousand times this.