When bullet proof coffee isn't

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

In Wegmans today and saw this and got excited:

But then saw this:

Never forget to read the labels, net carbs of 17 grams.

(TJ Borden) #2

:joy::joy::joy: leave it to food companies to screw up something good

(Mike W.) #3

Wouldn’t that be two net carbs? I thought sugar alcohols weren’t counted as carbs.

Ah, but if sugar alcohols are 15, where is the other 6 coming from? They say zero sugar, so what and where is the 6 carbs!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

4 in fiber. 15 in sugar alcohols. 2 in non-sugar naturally occurring carbs in whatever dairy or dairy substitutes they’re using.

In my count, it’s 21 minus 4 for fiber, minus 8 for sugar alcohol (7.5, really… I count em as 50%, which is being very conservative… 25% or even 10% might be more accurate), so anywhere from 4 net to 9 net, depending on what sugar alcohol they used and how well you tolerate it.

So I’m guessing the fiber isn’t actually whole fiber?

(Stacy Blanchard) #7

This is a company founded by Dave Asprey. Here is what his staff has to say about the carbs in it.
_ People following a low-carb diet usually only count net carbs (generally calculated as total carbs minus fiber, minus sugar alcohols). Most of the carbs in our RTD line come from sugar alcohols, which do not contribute to the overall carb count. For example, our vanilla cold brew only contains 5 net carbs, making it a very keto-friendly option. Most of the coffee recipes on our blog do not include these sugar alcohols, so the carb count is different. Hope this answers your question!_

Take it or leave it.

(Clint Phelps) #8

A bit of digging shows that this product contains a combination of Erythritol, Xylitol and Monk Fruit. Xylitol isn’t tolerated well as far as glycemic response for many, not bad for some. Erythritol has no known insulin or glycemic response but large quantities can give some people diarrhea. I don’t know much about monk fruit but a quick read indicated it could produce an insulin response without raising blood sugar.

So depending on the ratios this could easily spike blood sugar and/or insulin in some people. While on a technical level their net carb count is correct, on a body chemistry level it’s total BS. This isn’t keto friendly IMO. I’d call it moderate/lowish carb friendly.

(TJ Borden) #9

All sweeteners cause an insulin response, not to say they all create an equal response. That’s not a problem for keto in general, but it is an issue for fasting. I know where talking about bulletproof coffee, but there are those that drink bulletproof coffee on water fasts because the fat generally doesn’t trigger an insulin response so it doesn’t negate the benefits of the fast.

That suggests they don’t have an understanding of sugar alcohols. Until someone has an idea of which sweeteners affect them, and how badly, it’s usually best to count them as half their value.

I made that mistake a decade ago on Atkins. I was popping sugar free Russle Stoufer chocolates like… well, like candy. I figured it was free, until I started putting weight back on.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #10

You can deduct half the sugar alcohols to my understanding.

(Clint Phelps) #11

It’s totally dependent on the person really. And some of them increase your insulin without raising blood sugar so you can’t measure that with a meter really. It’s just really tough to know. It would be hard for me to write off 15g of sugar alcohols, or even 7 if you could safely say to halve it, every morning.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

Yeah, I see that much carbs on something and usually run like hell the other way, even if it’s high in fiber. The big number just scares me too much and I can’t get over it to even try to calculate the net amount.

I’m usually like, “why bother when you know bacon is safe. And you like bacon. A lot!”

(TJ Borden) #13

I like it when the fiber and sugar somehow adds up to more than what they say the total carbs are.

(Stacy Blanchard) #14

I don’t drink coffee I just thought this brand was very Keto so the post threw me.

(Dave) #15

I’ll make my own thanks. No filler. No carb.