When are you no longer a newbie

(Ellen ) #1

I’ve been keto for 5 months now. Learned so much. Still learning but I feel I know my body and keto well. I read and listen, never closed minded. Am much more understanding regarding others personal struggles. I’ve lost slowly. 15lbs in 5 months but have gained more in other ways. Love love this forum. But I’ve seen people state they are new to keto when strict for 6 months (even more) and state they are new. When are you no longer a newbie?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I’d say you yourself are no longer a newbie, for example. But don’t stress too much over this. I suspect the real dividing line is not time eating ketogenically, but the point at which you discover you have advice to give to, or experience to share with, the newbies! :grin::bacon:

(charlie3) #3

I’ve found that most life changes are formative until I’ve been through a full year with all of it’s special moments that only happen once a year. I’ve been low carb for 20 months. Food preperation is much faster, shopping trips smarter and faster, a lot of needed information is memorized. My food is far more satisfying because I know better what to buy and how to prepare it so that now I prefer what I’m eating to anything previous, meeting nutrition goals, etc. I think I’m still a beginner because there is so much more I can learn. May be I’ll declare myself intermediate at 5 years.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

(Allie) #5

When you think you know it all and stop being open to change? It’s a journey you don’t get to the end of.

(Ellen ) #6

Agreed. I will always be a newbie. I incorporate new suggestions from people here regularly. Great advice.

not a newbie here. way too many years on lc, extreme lc and carnivore to pretend I don’t know a good bit, but I also pick and choose what I do know so I can tell others of my experience and maybe that advice might help them…but I don’t personally get into the ‘medical/science’ of it all deep cause I just don’t care enough to give my time to it. In that I know what it does for me. I read what I need to know to be safe, secure in my eating. After that I let the ‘other experts’ tell what they know.

Not being a newbie is when you truly can start to give other’s some great advice…mostly being from your personal experiences. While we are all so different in our reactions etc…what you go thru can easily be what resonates with others and your advice helps them.

newbie…I kinda don’t like that word in a way LOL

(Marianne) #8

Good question! I will be interested to read the responses.