Wheat bran ❤

(Karla Sykes) #1

My Medellin family members have bought me this and I was wondering if it is keto friendly? I’ve already been told by one member on this site it is not so keto-friendly but inquiring minds would like to know. Tell me what is your verdict on this keto message board

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

I read your other post about this. Are you trying to get a different answer? If you want to eat this, no one will try to stop you nor care if you do.

Can you read the label? Serving size is !/4 cup or 15 grams, of which 10 grams is carbs, of which 6 grams is ‘fiber’. So 4 net grams of carbs per 15 grams! That is: 25-30% net carbs in this stuff. If you’re planning to eat 1/4 cup of this, that’s 4 net carbs. Does that compute with whatever other carbs you’re eating during the day to stay sub-20? If so, go for it. But the question is always ‘Why?’ What benefit do you derive from eating this? Is the benefit worth the carb tax? There’re few nutrients in wheat bran and you can get a lot more bang for your carb tax with other stuff. Hope this helps.

(Karla Sykes) #3

No I’m not trying to get a different answer and if you read my post you would have known that I reference the answer for my previous post I was just interested in everyone looking at the label and giving me their opinion!. So rude! Screenshot_20200224-143043_Chrome|230x500

Hey Karla, personally I would stay away from it. Don’t have time right now to write more…
Hope you’re doing well -

(Karla Sykes) #5

I’ve been watching all kinds of YouTube videos about it and you’re right it’s not ketogenic friendly. Have you ever heard about Oak fiber. I’m just curious about all these different fibers and getting different people’s perspectives while I’m doing my research. I am doing a lot better and I’m in therapy and I’m not crying everyday so life is getting a little bit better

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Karla, whether it’s a keto friendly food is ultimately your choice. @amwassil Mike makes a lot of good points in his post. He’s a long standing member and has been eating KETO for quite a few years. He reads and studies a lot and tries to share his knowledge freely with the community. I personally value his opinions, he doesn’t coddle people but he’s a very logical guy and so you might find his posts somewhat harsh but he gets to the point. I thought his post was thoughtful and not rude but quite helpful.

This question about whether it’s KETO friendly is ultimately your choice and will depend on what your goals are. If it’s just weight loss and making bread is something you really want to do and the amount you consume falls within your carb allowance it’s fine. If you have other metabolic or GI issues it’s probably not a good choice. The basic KETO guidelines recommend no grains, legumes, most fruits and root vegetables, and vegetable or seed oils for good reasons. If you want to include these things you can and still be within Ketogenic macros, but Mike raises the very legitimate question as to whether this food is worth the carb tax to you. The answers are in your hand. You have the data and you’ve been at this for a while. Your goals and the sustainability of the KETO way is of primary concern here and ultimately only you can answer this question. I hope you are successful with KETO and I’m happy that you’re progressing with life after the difficult times you’ve been through recently. Like Mike I hope this was helpful and I personally wish you the best. :heart::cowboy_hat_face:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #7

Michael made some great points here. I always try to think about whether or not food that I choose to eat is worth the “carb tax,” as he called it.

Just a suggestion, have you ever considered starting an accountability thread? That way you can talk about anything and everything on one thread and it’s easier to follow than multiple threads :blush: