What's the difference between milk an heavy cream?

cream

(Itai) #1

Hi,
I know that keto eating prefers using heavy cream rather the low fat milk, but when I look at the actual macros, it doesn’t make a lot of sense, for someone who is trying to lose weight. In my country (Israel), heavy cream has ~3 grams of carbs pert 100 ml serving, and 1% skim milk has 5 grams of carbs per 100ml, and has much less calories. Is the 2 grams of carbs really worth the substantial amount of calories included? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Itai

(Diane) #2

I’m not personally trying to count calories or calorie restrict. In order to eat macros in Keto proportions, many of us are looking for ways to add fat. Heavy cream has more fat than 1% milk. It also depends on how you are using the heavy cream vs 1% milk. Those 2 grams of net carbs per 100 ml’s add up quickly if you are drinking a glass of milk but may not mean much if you are adding a splash to coffee.

Hope this helps!

The lactose content of milk makes it a poor keto choice, especially since it’s typically used in large quantities (i.e. as a drink). HWC has less lactose (but typically fine for a tablespoon or two). Fresh cheeses have even less lactose. Aged cheeses even less (lactose converts into lactic acid as the cheese ages).

Because my secondary goal is to lose weight, I generally use unsweetened non-dairy milks – coconut, macadamia, or almond.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Heavy cream is prized for its fat content, and despite whatever carbohydrate it may contain.

The heavy cream in my refrigerator contains tenfold the amount of fat per 100 mL as the whole milk in my fridge, and about the same amount of carbohydrate. The carbohydrate in the whole milk is almost entirely sugar, however, whereas the carbohydrate in the cream is probably from the additives (pure cream is very hard to find in my area).

(Rushme) #5

Whole Foods carries a HWC brand, Kolona that does not have any additives but its quite expensive.