Whats a good olive-oil commercial mayonnaise (if you don't want to make homemade one)?

(Bansaw) #1

Is there a good healthy olive oil or other healthy olive oil out there to buy?
I used to buy veganaise but thats canola, and I just found out that canola is not the best.

I might end up making my own anyway though, it doesn’t look that hard. I wonder what the shelf life of homemade one is though.

I can’t find an olive oil commercial mayo that’s not mainly canola, but I love the Chosen Foods avocado oil mayo–all avocado oil.

(Karen) #3

I tried chosen foods avocado oil. Reminds me of mircle whip. A sweet taste. They have coconut mayo. Again sweet. Have not
found what you want.
K
K

(dorrie) #4

I like primal kitchen. Pricey but pretty clean

(TJ Borden) #5

If you have a stick blender just make your own. I finally started doing it. It’s soooo easy I literally laughed the first time I made it.

The recipie says a “generous pinch” of salt. My first batch wasn’t salty enough so I did 1/2 tsp in the second which was way too much so I’ve settled into a heavy 1/4 tsp.

My favorite so far is avocado oil with lime juice.

(TJ Borden) #6

About a week, but you’re only making about a cup at a time. I’ve never had any last more than a couple days before it was all eaten.

I make my own via Craveable Keto’s Recipe and it lasts about 2 weeks.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

It’s avacado, not olive. But I really like this one.

(Candy Lind) #9

@Baytowvin said a week, but I’ve had no trouble with it lasting 2 weeks or more. Some people would want to pasteurize the eggs before keeping it that long. He is right on one thing - only my big batches ever last that long! If you make a cup at a time, you won’t have to worry about it. The link he gave is the recipe I use - it uses a whole egg instead of just the yolk. I use avocado oil for most of mine, but I promised myself that my next batch is going to be “baconnaise.” I have a stash of bacon grease that I need to use. :drooling_face:

There is a mayonnaise thread in here that talks about making mayo with a stick blender, and that’s the way I’m doing it these days. I didn’t realize the key was in the right size container (my stick was too small to use a mason jar). Once I got that right, it’s under 5 minutes from gathering ingredients to scooping the mayo into your storage container (if you can’t store it in the container you made it in). And SO much cheaper than mayo that has all the “junk” ingredients …

(TJ Borden) #10

:smile: I was being conservative since some people are worried about the whole raw egg thing.

(Sophie) #11

Don’t wait, go make some!!! You are going to friggin Love IT! Don’t ask me how I know! :smile::laughing:

(Gwen Frazier) #12

I agree with stick blender mayo. I like to use Braggs Apple cider vinegar as I do not always have fresh lemon or lime. Getting the right size container is key! A tall 16 Oz. Glass canning jar works perfect as it is narrow. You can then just put the lid on it. Be sure and move the stick up in first few seconds. I love avacado oil the best. Once you make your first batch successfuly you will never buy store mayo again - I promise!

(mags) #13

My stick blender is too wide for my jars so I use a jug and it works fine. I’ve added garlic or blue cheese… Its fab & very moreish! No worries in using it up in time. I’ve used part bacon fat with oil too. I reckon you could add anything to this :yum:

(TJ Borden) #14

The trick is whenever you empty a jar, test it with the blender before you recycle it. I have a random mason style and an adams peanut butter jar for mine.