What would you recommend to someone who doesn't want to go keto full-fledged?

(Elli S) #1

Hi,
My daughter is 22. She went to have a routine checkup, and found that her triglycerides were very high (214 mg/dl) and total cholesterol high also (213 mg/dl). Her doctor was concerned about the latter, I only about the former.

Anyway, she got stressed out from the doctor and “the end of her days of freedom, eating whatever she wants”. (she loves to bake, and especially goes for all the chocolaty\sugary icings)
She said she is willing to make changes, but doesn’t want to do what I’m doing because it’s too restrictive. (I do Keto and Intermittent Fasting)

So the question is, what’s second best to Keto?

What would you suggest to someone who doesn’t want to go “all the way” (and is also probably not in the advanced situation I was in, diagnosed as TD2).

Just cut added sugar?
Processed foods?
Paleo?

I think she would stick to a plan, if she would see it as something that isn’t “the end of the world” (the way she see things now).

Thanks for any ideas

(Ron) #2

All good suggestions for her. Get her started and she might gradually gravitate to keto as her tastes change.

(Elli S) #3

Thanks.
Do you know what specifically targets triglycerides?
Is it the sugar? Insulin? Or the Omega3 vs. Omega ratio?

(M.T) #4

This may be a helpful link for you,
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/triglycerides/art-20048186

I’d say “pre-industrial Mediterranean”, which would basically be to avoid all industrially-produced food, and take basically only the most locally-produced local fruit and veg from local sources when and only when it’s in season, is probably the gentlest form of these sorts of diets. NO industrialised sugars at all, and the above must boil down to no cereals.

Maybe a “treat” (rather than a “cheat”) once a week, as people were used to in the pre-industrial era ?

Sugar, or death. Easy choice.

(Elli S) #7

Thanks for the link, but it doesn’t look like a good source when you read about their recommendations about saturated oils.
They write: "Trade saturated fat found in meats for healthier monounsaturated fat found in plants, such as olive, peanut and canola oils. "

Protein Leverage Hypothesis: that is, keep proteins at or above 15% of dietary energy, consistently. She can have her cakes, but needs to balance it with enough proteins (and vegetables). And best track it initially, because not being a %of volume but of calories, one may be surprised.
When the 15% requirememt is not met, after a period fatty liver happens, according to the studies. So that’s definitely linked to the triglycerides.

Btw for tracking, Cronometer works very well. She can put entire custom recipes in it, that will be tracked perfectly. I am doing PLH too at the moment (taking a pause from keto) and it’s very easy with the app.

I would say lower carb (not processed food), not afraid to eat good fats. My mom wants to do keto, but doesn’t fully understand it. She lost 5lbs week1 halfway doing keto. She still ate her PB crackers and awful coffee creamer in the am, but cut out breads, etc. Her bloodwork has always been impeccable, and that’s really how she has eaten most of her life anyway.

Eating a HFLC diet is second “best”. Fasting is better/more effective.
In my opinion, Pareto’s Rule as it applies to nutrition, 80% is:

1. Eat real (unprocessed) food
  2. Restrict eating to a 16-18 hour window

The remaining 20% is debatable.

(Troy) #12

+1

On a Patrick Henry sorta Quote😉
“ give me sugar , give me death “
Close enough

(Randy) #13

Advice: Eat. Real. Food.

Hi Elli,

The easiest way to go would be low carb and no sugar. I highly recommend the book “The Dopamine Diet” by Tom Kerridge for low carb recipes. Although I don’t necessarily agree with everything mentioned in the book, or the title, he has some truly delicious recipes! (he is a Michelin star chef). He also introduced me to the mindset of seeing carbs are tasteless fillers that instead of adding to the dish, they actually take away from the flavour. Why would anyone want to dilute a rich, delicious Bolognese by adding pasta to it? Just have the sauce on it’s own, with some cheese and maybe veggies; perfection! This really revolutionised the way I viewed food and the way I eat. I don’t feel deprived by not eating pasta/rice/grains, instead I feel like I’m gaining in flavour by avoiding them.

She can still continue baking, and she might find it an interesting challenge trying to create low carb desserts and baked goods. There’s plenty of recipes and blogs online to find advice and inspiration (the Dopamine Diet book also has some very nice looking recipes). I personally don’t like the idea of eating sweeteners, my philosophy is more about eating minimally processed foods so I don’t bother trying to replicate the flavours of a sugary treat with a low carb version. But a lot of people want to be able to eat sweet flavours, and she might enjoy discovering new ways to use ingredients and baking low carb. It might also help her not feel like she’s missing out by eating this way. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Clara Teixeira) #15

I recently read something about coffee consumption raising trigs. Mine was high like hers even after being on keto for 6 months. I want to quit coffee for 2 weeks to test this idea out but… that’s 2 weeks without coffee… :sob:

(Alexia Falcone ) #16

It seems to me that most people I know who resist keto do so because they really love fruit, and can’t imagine life without it …

Definitely! But if one is not doing too bad health-wise, one can up the carbs too 100g. a day, and that means fruit can be eaten. Or do that every now and then and the other days stay under 20g.

(Brian) #18

Hope I won’t offend, but since she’s a big dessert type, why not get her a copy of Carolyn Ketchum’s new dessert book. There are some REALLY good desserts in there, and all keto friendly / low-carb.

Maybe if she sees that she doesn’t really have to give up luscious and rich desserts to be keto, it might change the perspective a little.

Carolyn has a couple of other books, too, and I really like them. I must say, I am not paid to say any of this and get nothing in return. Carolyn gives away a lot of free recipes, too, and her blog and her Facebook page are favorite places of mine. Have her check out the free stuff and let her (or you) decide whether buying a book would be worthwhile. Honestly, I think she gives away as much as she sells.

Just what came to mind.

:slight_smile:

Would be a very loose but quick enough primer on WHY this has happened and that the way she eats and is told to eat is complete shit.. Obviously holding on to a 22yo’s attention only goes so far. THEN Probably a typical LCHF but not Ketogenic diet. Set a carb limit of say 100-150 which is still very much a low carb diet and will produce results without question. THEN later if she’s liking the results give her a little more info and maybe pull her further down the carb ladder. As WE know, this isn’t restrictive at all, but a 22yo won’t focus on the huge amount they gain, only the little they’re losing.

Don’t feel bad with some Social Engineering / Psychological Warfare!

She’s a 22yo girl… I’ve yet to ever know one without some image issues, or some insecurities. Use them against her. Not in a mean way obviously it’s your kid, but lowering the carbs burns off body fat, makes you look more toned / lean, better in a bikini, whatever works. Gotta give her an end result that SHE will be into. Given what young women will do to themselves with diet to achieve a look, I think you have a shot!

This is terrible advice!!! Never EVER use one’s insecurities against them, EVEN if you mean well (which I’m sure you do! I don’t think for a second you mean to hurt anyone).

When someone is insecure, any judgment, no matter how well intended, just adds to their list of things to be insecure about and can have the exact opposite effect than the one intended, or can even lead to unhealthy behaviours such as eating disorders. And it’s just hurtful. If being judgmental or “fat shaming” was the solution to make people change their lives everyone would be skinny!

People need to decide to change their lives because they LOVE THEMSELVES and know they DESERVE the best health and life, not because someone is telling them they are not pretty enough in a bikini because they are fat.

Hope I don’t come across as too harsh, I don’t mean any offence, I just feel very strongly about this subject. :slightly_smiling_face: