What would you recommend to someone who doesn't want to go keto full-fledged?

Not harsh, but hypersensitive and looking at it from the wrong way. If a hairdresser or barber says something to the effect of "you would look really good with this hairstyle / hair cut because of xyz OR what do do think of trying “this” style. Doing so is NOT the same as saying “Your current hair style is stupid and ugly”. It’s merely a suggestion based on an assumption of knowing what that person may like and hopefully they’ll be better off, and maybe they will be. But simply making a suggestion of something you think they’ll go for doesn’t mean your bashing or insulting them.

Now if they sat in a chair and the hairdresser said “You just get electrocuted or something”? Fine, THAT’S rude.

(Sharon S ) #22

That is what I have started doing. I love the summer fruits, peaches and melon. I just don’t have them everyday and try to have a moderate amount. I do truly love fruit. !

Hi Ifod14,

You cannot possibly compare a hairstyle to weight. Our hair is not “fixed” like our weight, but it changes all the time and is very easy to alter with a visit to the hairdresser. And if you end up hating your new haircut, you just have it changed again. Or you wait a few months. Sure, you’re going to be miserable with the way you look for a little while, but that will soon change once the hair grows back out. In contrast, excess weight to a lot of people seems like a permanent condition, one they feel helpless and unable to change. Furthermore, most of us identify with our weight and it defines us as a person.

A more apt comparison would be going to a person with a large nose and saying “You know what, I think you’d look really attractive if you went and had a nose job”. You’re not saying that they are ugly, but you’re still passing criticism (even in the form of a well meaning suggestion) about something that is a defining characteristic of their person (just like their weight) and that they cannon change easily.

Best regards,
Hafdis

No it’s not, and I didn’t “compare” a hairstyle to weight, and weight being “fixed” (which it’s not) is completely irrelevant to my point. I made the point that a barber / hairstyler could MAKE A SUGGESTION based on something they THOUGHT that person may like to lead them to something again… they would like. Your reading overly literal and missing the point of what I said.

No, it wouldn’t actually. That’s pretty ridiculous, only an idiot would ever do that seeing as how that has a near ZERO chance of being taken as anything other than a passive insult. I specifically mentioned a suggestion that the person would most likely be into, wouldn’t work any other way. But you knew that, you just wanted to twist what I said so you could argue it.

Let’s look at what I ACTUALLY said:

Pretty sure pointing out a huge nose wouldn’t be something they liked!

I did NOT want to argue and I sincerely apologise to the post creator for ruining their thread.

All I wanted was to save somebody the misery I’ve felt when well-meaning people would make comments like the ones you’d suggested; as if I’d never thought about or tried losing weight until they mentioned it!

Cheers,
Hafdis