What was your moment, when you absolutely had to change?

(Genevieve Biggs) #21

January of 2013, middle of my study abroad trip in Japan, I reached 80kgs. As an American, I was used to lbs, but I realized what that number meant. I did not want to exceed that. So I started low carb and then gluten free (in Japan! Try that.) I never exceeded 160lbs after my initial loss, but I yoyo-ed through Paleo, vegan, and clean eating. I wasn’t Keto until about year ago, when I learned about LCHF through the HCG protocol. Now I’m Zero Carb/Carnivore, and have never felt better. :sunglasses: :meat_on_bone:

(softail925) #22

I just got tired of being fat for the last 20 years of trying everything from weight watchers to prescribed “weight loss” meds! My son turned me onto to ketogenics over 3 months ago, and I feel it is has saved my life - healing me inside, as well as, outside! :heart:keto-forever

There were lots of moments when I knew things had to change. The problem was that I didn’t know about keto yet so I was still dealing with a lot of food cravings that aren’t as much of a problem now.

(carl) #24

Well done, Steve!!

(Steve) #25

I owe much of my success to you and @richard for all the information and guidance.
I know the information is out there, but you guys take it to another level.

(melinda) #26

This is super hard for me to post, but my dad took this picture of me and my daughter last May. I was horrified. Only 26 with a one year old.

(Beth) #27

I have always been a sweet freak. Never really got terribly overweight – I’ve only lost about 10 pounds on keto so nobody is asking me “wow, what are you doing?!” but my life was so out of control. It was all about going to the grocery store and what treat might I have today. And then I would feel awful in bed later that night. Just a horrible way to live! For years I thought I should be able to control this (I’m over 30, I shouldn’t eat candy anymore. I’ve over 40, I shouldn’t eat candy anymore. I’m over 50, I really shouldn’t eat candy anymore). So crazy, but I just didn’t know any better. I did realize that any time I went on vacation and ate in sit down restaurants, I would lose weight and feel better. Never made the connection of really why it was. Now I know, of course. Combine all that with finding “Keto Clarity” right as my husband was having pre-diabetic symptoms and I was desperate to have him feel better, I went on keto as an experiment sort of – just to see if I could do it maybe I could get him to do it, too. This was all in October. I feel so much better now – so many non-scale victories but the biggest being the loss of the out of control feelings about food. My husband has not gone keto. He watched me for years doing what he thought were “fad” things – not all were – going gluten free was really critical for my health at the point I did it (I did have that win maybe four years ago?) and really thought I was following a lot of quacks on the internet. I know he would be so much better off if he went full keto but I also know I can’t push it. Crazy thing is that he’s a software engineer – very motivated by science in all things, and yet somehow I cannot bring this science to him because I don’t think he will trust it from me. So frustrating. He’s a big reddit reader and I’ve encouraged him to go look at their keto stuff, but clearly he hasn’t.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #28

I had no energy, muscle & joints hurt all the time, loosing interest in just about everything with 300+ pounds on a 5’2" 49 year old frame. I was trying LC for the nth time, exploring options when I learned my company was to be aquired in the next 3-6 months. I gained 40 pounds the previous year stress eating my way through firing 5 people, I recognized I was going to kill myself through this process as I have a job that is typically eliminated during an aquisition. I started keto 14 hours after I received the news, I needed to dive in and believed that the 2KetoDudes had the pulse on the real science; with 3 podcasts under my belt I jumped in. Instead of gaining 40 lbs, I’m significantly healthier, improving BG, improved energy, sharper thinking, and 55 lbs down. To boot, there’s opportunity for me to stay with my company. I’m excited to experience 2017 achievements :grinning:

(AnnaLeeThal) #29

When my sister cut my hair and took before and after pictures of me. I knew I felt awful but seeing myself in a full length pic looking all swollen made me think…I really should get serious about losing some weight and getting healthier. I proposed trying Keto to my husband, he researched it for himself and we started a couple days later.

(Kathy L) #30

Most of us (more likely ALL of us) feel your pain Melinda! When we look at a photo of ourselves and we don’t recognize ourselves! You will love this WOE - keep calm & keto on! (PS - I know it’s hard to keep calm though, when you want change, like, YESTERDAY!!)

:heart:

(Kathy L) #31

My moment was approximately 2 years ago when my sister (RN) had me watch a YouTube TedTalk by Dr. Sarah Hallberg on reversing T2D. When I actually saw all the science she presented, I was convinced! Started that day and haven’t looked back. I was pre-T2D - and since then, my blood work has normalized and I’m off Metformin, BP meds, Omeprazole. That’s whats keeps me going!

(Marie) #32

I had an epiphany in August, 2014 after I spent a hot summer in very large jeans, wearing the same pants almost all the time so I wouldn’t have to buy new ones. 50 lbs overweight, sedentary, tired, depressed, menopausal, and embarrassed. I started Weight Watchers, but kept strictly low carb - I eventually ditched WW and went full keto. I’m 50 lbs lighter, went from size 14-16 pantsize to 8-10, full of energy, and never looking back. I also started bio-identical hormones which really helped too.

(Kathy L) #33

I am just doing hormone testing as I am on an “extended stall”. I know my blood work is good & BP normal now -but Doc Adam Nally says if you’re stalled while in ketosis, he’d start looking at hormone imbalance. So, I’m hoping there is something found w/this testing to get me moving forward again. I’ve been LC/keto for 20 months, & I’ve lost 40 in the first 6 months. Still have 70 to go -I think a year stall is long enough!

(Pete Shearer) #34

In April 2016, I went to the dentist because I wanted a few things done. I was interested in sedation dentistry because my gag reflex is out of control and I would have a hard time getting through the procedures. As part of the screening process, they took my BP and it was 178/104 or something like that. They said they could not do any sort of sedation with BP like that.

So, I went to my doctor and got on BP meds. At the first visit, I was 375, at the second visit a month later, they had me at 385. He told me at that second visit in May 2016 that he was going to see me again in September 2016 and if I wasn’t down weight and my A1C and blood glucose numbers weren’t better, that he was going to put me on Metformin. So, you know what I did?

Nothing. Not a darn thing.

That is, until August, about 7 weeks before I needed to see the doctor. I started eating a ketogenic diet on August 9, 2016. By the time that I saw him again at the end of September, I was down to 325lbs. I had lost 60lbs, my A1C was 5.7 (from 6.5) and my blood glucose was 104 (from 118). The doctor literally could not believe it. He kept interrupting himself to ask how I felt and if I felt great. He said he never sees anyone drop their A1C almost a full point without meds and that he never sees anyone lose 50-60 lbs even.

I’m now at 277 lbs and I feel great. Still going at it. I see him again at the end of March, I can’t WAIT for him to see that I’m down over 100lbs and that my numbers are fantastic.

It was literally being threatened with medication that I didn’t want to take that did it for me. It wasn’t the months of not being able to walk from work to my car without getting winded and being in pain that did it. It wasn’t not having any of my clothes fit. It wasn’t avoiding doing things because I might have to walk to get there. It wasn’t always having to wait for a table because I couldn’t fit in booths where the table didn’t move. It was that I didn’t want to go on a certain medication and it was because I heard the 2 Keto Dudes podcast and believed that I could do it.

Best decision I’ve made for my health ever.

(Keto Troll) #35

When I got Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I knew that carbs weren’t good for diabetics ( didn’t know just how bad!) and decided to investigate low carb diets in Facebook. Found a Facebook group that followed Dr. Westman’s recommendations and the rest is history.

(Christine Marie Benvenuti) #36

Great question…

A few years ago, I was dealing with Chronic fatigue, miserable arthritis pain etc…,trying to get answers from Drs. Was not easy. However, I finally have a Primary care Dr. Who actually listens to me. It turned out my thyroid was a big part of the problem. In any case last year she suggested getting rid of Sugar and Gluten to help with inflammation. I was "off the stuff " for about 9 mon9, until this past November. The holidays happened , and I thought…“ohhhh a little piece of pumpkin cheese cake won’t hurt.” Was I wrong.
I gained 10 lbs back by New Years, and was in a vicious “sugar cycle.”
I am strong in my faith, and decided to “fast” to let God remove the sugar addiction. Addiction is tough…we don’t think k of food as potentially addictive, because we need it to live, however, I am one of those that if I take one puff of a cigarette, I will have a pack by the next day. Quit that 3 years ago. Thank God!
Anyway, during my fast, I asked a friend of mine a question about her previous, somewhat , ketogenic diet. She turned me to 2 Keto Dudes on FB. That was only 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I have not felt this good in a very long time! For the first time in my life, I actually know…REALLY KNOW when I’m hungry, and full. I have about 120 lbs to lose, but am extremely encouraged at this point!!!

Peace

(Jeff) #37

I was putting on weight year after year. And I didn’t seem to be able to do anything about it.

If I even though about dieting I would gain a couple pounds. I was afraid of hunger.

After putting on about 60-70 pounds over the past decade I hated looking at myself in the mirror. I was hiding too.

When I defended my dissertation last summer I found the 2KD’s. The diet WOE made sense. And I bought “the art and science” book too.

I’m 30 pounds down and it’s given me my confidence back. I am so thankful!

(Kylie Woodruff) #38

That is an incredible story and how lucky you were to meet such a great pharmacist!

(Pete Shearer) #39

Wow, what an amazing pharmacist. (and Happy Birthday!)

(Lard is Love) #40

I decided I had to do something when I started losing my breath to tie my shoes…