What was your moment, when you absolutely had to change?

Hi there!!
What was the moment, can you remember it? When you got desperate, had to change, had to try this crazy diet :wink:, got sick of feeling sick, realized then you had to take CONTROL??

(Bart) #2

When the doctor told me my triglycerides were about 1200. That was what drove me to discover and switch to Keto. That stupid high trig count saved my life, kind of ironic, took me being sick to get healthy.

Mine was: I was waking up swollen every morning, my face and my hands were just really swollen and I felt like shit!!
I was on my computer looking at pictures and noticed how healthy I used to look in comparison. I had to take CONTROL!!
I had to take responsibility for my body and mind. Nothing changes if things stay the same. Obviously what I was doing wasnā€™t working.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

@honorable_starfish
I had that moment before I found the ketogenic diet.

It was the moment my doctor saw I was having increasing lack of blood glucose control, and suggested an injectable

I was so traumatized I donā€™t even remember if it was insulin or what. I was already on 5 meds, kept steadily gaining weight, was so tired I could barely do a flight of stairs, was following the FUCKING ADAā€™s diet to the letter, eating all the whole grains and exercising as instructed, and WAS GETTING SICKER. (A1c of 12, triglycerides were 1200)

I called bullshit.

Started trying to figure things out on my own. So sad I even had to do that! I was seeing the damn doctor every three months. Much good THAT did me. So I threw out all my meds (this is my story, I do not recommend you do this), and I started reducing carbohydrate. Seemed logical to me that carbs were the problem. I hadnā€™t read one thing about it. I didnā€™t even know facebook support groups existed, let alone great sites like TheDietDoctor.com etc.

I started hanging out in a gluten/grain free support group, discovered LCHF on The Diet Doctor site, used LCHF support groups, and quickly discovered keto. After a few weeks on the ketogenic diet my depression disappeared so I stayed.
I never expected to eliminate depression, and I was only focused on my excess weight at the time. I did not even know keto could affect diabetes!
Itā€™s been three years since I started the ketogenic diet, and I am no longer diabetic. I feel so fortunate I found keto!!! My mission now is to help others find the ketogenic diet. I carry this card. KCKO my lovelies! :heart:

A friend of mine is following the ADA guidelines and she was just hospitalized with a BG of 600 or soā€¦her hospital food is shit, more of the same carby stuff and I just want to help her but she is so scared to deviate from what the doctor is telling her, and she is just blaming herself.
:confused: sucksā€¦Iā€™m disappointed.

(Henna Selnes) #6

When my doktor asked me why I wasnā€™t in a diabetic coma already,then told me,here is how your going to eat. Do it or die. ( that is the short version of waking up,and starting keto)

Did your doctor lead you to Keto or did he recommend something else?

(Henna Selnes) #8

She put me on keto,helped me get started, and has tracked me thru all this so far. I had a bg of 29, ac1 of 11. After 3 months I am now ac1 of 6.4,bg varys day to day. I am so happy I listened.

I take it you are not in America ? Thatā€™s great!!

(Henna Selnes) #10

I am in Norway,but America is close to my heart. My son married an Beautiful American woman, and now I have a beautiful grand daughter. So now I have excuses to visit and sight see. :smile: And live!

I went to the doctor last August knowing that my 50th birthday was fast approaching and knowing I could no longer ignore my poor health. With an A1c of 8.9 feeling like crap, my doctor wanted to put me on metformin right away. I told her I wanted to do it on my own, and I would bring it down in 3 months. She really pushed the meds, I refused still. Went to my local family-owned pharmacy (Simply Pharmacy, Waterford CT) to pick up a glucometer and strips. The pharmacist came and talked to me, asked if I was on meds. Told him no, wanted to work on my own to bring my BS down over the next 3 months. He told me that he could help me do it in less time than that and broke down a LC/IF diet for me in 10 minutes. He opened my eyes, put me on the right path. After watching his videos and doing some research myself, I learned about Keto, found the 2KetoDudes FB page and I am looking forward to meeting @carl in the first New London Keto Support Meeting in 2 weeks and KetoFest in July! With Keto, my A1c was 5.4 just 3 months after starting LC and I have lost 40 lbs in 5 months - and I feel great. My doctor, unfortunately, is rather uninterested in how I did it, just told me to keep up the good work (sad really, she could pass on the message and help more people). Keto Rules!

(carl) #12

So awesome! I have to stop into Simply Pharmacy and get to know them.

David Wu is great, he has a private FB group where he posts videos - Simply RX Health. I used the videos he posted as a ā€˜gateway to ketoā€™ for my mom and a few friends.

(Gary) #14

Mine started back in 2012.
I had been heavy most of my life and as I aged and moved up the ladder of employment from physically demanding jobs to desk jobs, I really started packing on the pounds.
I was an avid listener of the TWiT family of podcasts and Steve Gibson on Security Now delved into a health topic instead of the usual computer/network security topics. I didnā€™t make the change until just over a year later though. I spent a bunch of time that year doing some research on my own, reading ā€œHow We Get Fatā€, and reading the keto subreddit. But, I never took any actual action.
Then, in 2013, several personal events happened and my family and I had to move. There was a good deal of stress involved around the move and I packed on more pounds, up to nearly 400lbs. During the actual move (we moved all or stuff ourselves and had little help) I sweat off ten pounds. I was excited and liked how I felt just losing that amount of weight. However, I changed nothing else and put the weight back on in a week or so. It was then I realized that it wasnā€™t going to ā€œjust happenā€ and all of the research I had done the previous year smacked me in the face.
That first month and a half, I lost 20lbs, which gave me a big boost of confidence that I was doing the right thing. By six months, I had lost 68lbs. I was stoked. Then, I got stuck. Iā€™m still not sure exactly what happened, but I stopped losing. I probably was a little too lazy in my keto. I was maintaining, just not losing and I got frustrated. I continued to KC;KO for another eight months or so, and got even more frustrated and lazy about what I ate.
Then, another nail in the coffin was I lost my job in May of 2015. I totally gave up on keto and got back up to within ten pounds of my highest. I realized I had to do something again.
Now, after getting over feeling sorry for myself about all the changes in my life, I am back at it. This time, I have a keto teammate, my wife. She was supportive before, just not a participant. I started strict(er) keto Jan 1st and am back down almost 20lbs. feeling better, and motivated once again.
The keto subreddit has been helpful, and now, we have this great site and podcast. Kudos to the 2Keto Dudes!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

I blamed myself too. Itā€™s not her fault. Tell her my story, show her my lab work, encourage her to listen to my podcast. All you can do is give her the tools. She has to want to read/listen.

(Lisa F) #16

It was this:

I am not the proud graduate. I had low carbed before so I knew it worked and made me feel great. I wanted the weight off before I started menopauseā€¦so far so good!

(Steve) #17

Mine was when I was diagnosed with diabetes with an a1c of 13.3 and triglycerides of 1987 3 months ago.
This shocked me into some research on the subject for any information on what I could do to help myself which led me to keto.
With the help of meds, now 6.5 and 197 and I plan on improving these numbers and using this WOE for the rest of my life.

(Phil Ware) #18

Exactly 4 weeks ago to the day when my gastroenterologist confirmed to me that the scarring on my oesophagus(due to silent reflux)hadnā€™t improved(or repaired itself I guess he meant), despite two years of PPi meds.
After a 24 hour ph monitoring test my levels still hadnā€™t shown as severeā€¦yet the scarring wasnā€™t healing. Apparently I am very sensitive to any kind of acid levels. The better option is now to lose weight and reduce the pressure coming from my stomach.
His words, itā€™s either you lose weight and eat better or we are looking at more meds to help tighten the sphincter which controls the reflux coming up or not.
He wants to see me in 6 months.
In four weeks I have dropped just over 3 kg in weight and 2.5 inches off my stomach measurement.
I am happy so far and more importantly never hungry
And gaining control of my diet back
Nothing like a health scare to get you going!!!

(Texan ) #19

I was on a low fat low cal diet and I was so miserable and so unhappy. I hated waking up and getting dressed for work. One morning I rolled over and thought, " Iā€™m forever going to be fat and miserable because I canā€™t fight this food battle and win." I just want to live life and not have to worry about the food I eat making me fat. I remember thinking, "God please help me. I canā€™t do this anymore " I literally hated myself. Some mornings I couldnā€™t even look at myself in the mirror.
About 3 weeks later I read someoneā€™s post on some page. Donā€™t ask me who or what page because I couldnā€™t tell you, but she posted about a group, 2 KetoDudes. She said this ā€œdietā€ had helped with her dry skin. I had dry skin and I was curious. I never imagined that post would change my life like it did. I read up on Keto and learned all I could for two weeks. I started Keto after two weeks and I havenā€™t looked back or had one regret since.

(Geoffrey) #20

I was down to accepting that I was going to be about 70 lbs overweight my while life. I tried several times to lose weight and did lose some but whenever I found it to be not sustainable I would turn back to my old ways and gain more than I lost. Eating ice cream almost every day and carbing up every meal.

Jump to this past Christmas when weighing myself to find I gained another 20 lbs throughout the fall and holidays. I then decided I had enough, I needed to change. Heard Joe Rogan talking about keto and the evils of carbs, did lots of research and started in the new year.

Have lost 23 lbs and feeling like a new person. I am obsessed and want others to know about this diet, especially since I eat bacon and have butter coffee. Love the look people give me. Game changer.