What to expect when i switch from keto to normal diet in summer holliday?

(bjĆørn arne) #1

This summer i am backpacking trough europe and there is no way i can do that while being in ketosis, becouse i wanna drink beer and eat at resturants and so on. I have only eaten meat, vedgies and healty fats for about six months with no alcohol :smiley: the results have been beyond anything i expected, my skin are nice, ive lost alot of weight and i have lots of energi. The keto diet have given me so many benefits and i am scared of going of it in a wird way. Will i gain back all the weight, get tired and feel horible on my holiday? will i completly ruin my progress and have to start from scratch after the two months?

should i carb adapt before travling on the trip? when i come home do i have to go trough keto flu again?

(Karen) #2

Ease more paleo, with some carbs like sweet potato. Yes you might have keto flu again. But if you watch your electrolytes, you might not. Have fun!

K

(Rob) #3

This is the killer thread on this I thinkā€¦

I would probably still try to stay Low Carb and make sure that I only had the carbs I was going to appreciate, and not the empty or common fillers. I also know I might fail at this strategy e.g when is a carb in Italy a filler? :flushed:

I donā€™t know which countries you are going to but many are pretty keto/paleo friendly as a rule if you want them to be.

(bjĆørn arne) #4

Yea iā€™l do my best :blush: i am doing interail, so not completely sure witch countries yet. But it will be beer everyday thats my main concern. But will i gain back the weight right away? Is keto effektive in keeping the weight of? Or is it back to start after a holiday with carbs

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

If you are hiking a good amount, you may find that you switch back to carb metabolism without much weight gain or negative metabolic effect. I never gain on vacation in Europe, but we walk everywhere. And Iā€™m with Capn Rob, there are very few low value carbs in Italy or France.

If you havenā€™t had alcohol in six months, you might want to ease back in to the beers as your sensitivity to alcohol may have increased. And youā€™re leaner, which seems to make a difference as well.

Have fun.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

Revisiting. I was a bit more loopy than normal after a couple glasses of wine last night. But I think it passed faster, as my liver wasnā€™t stressed due to the many month long light fructose burden.