What to do with those peak summer tomatoes

(KetoQ) #1

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/home/ct-peak-summer-tomatoes-tiny-cherries-giant-heirlooms-20180806-story.html

(Ken) #2

Here’s what my family has been doing with them for decades.

Mix one part Mayo with one part Parmesan cheese. Mix in chopped Scallions. Cut tomatoes in half. With cut side up, top with mixture. Broil until topping is golden brown, watching carefully so they don’t burn.

My favorite tomatoe recipe, and I grow lot’s of’em, 36 growing right now.

(Brian) #3

Roast them, along with onions peppers and garlic, plus a little salt and olive oil.

Once they’ve cooked off most of the water, run what’s left through a Victorio food strainer. What comes out is some of the most wonderful tomato sauce you’ll ever have. Then season as you like it, basil, oregano, black pepper, whatever you like. Pressure can or freeze as your pleasure may be.

We have about 12 or 13 quarts so far.

Oh, and the juice that you will get, might be up to half by volume. Don’t throw it away! It makes a wonderful base for something like minestrone or jumbalaya (which can be made substituting riced cauliflower for rice).

(KetoQ) #4

Definitely want to try that.

(KetoQ) #5

Tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic … probably my four favorite vegetables. Would like to make that sauce to go with my zoodles. Thanks for the suggestion.

(Brian) #6

Goes well with eggplant parm, too! :slight_smile:

I thought I read something about eggplant being a good source of potassium, too…

(KetoQ) #7

You’re right about eggplant being a good source of potassium … and tomatoes are as well.

I just eat them with salt and pepper. Just finished one straight off the vine.

(Brian) #9

I can do that. But I think I like 'em best slathered in mayo. :slight_smile:

(Chris) #10

Caprese Salad
Sliced with Salt

Allowing myself to deviate from Carnivore to eat the Tomatoes and basil Ive grown. Fabulous cheat

(KetoQ) #11

Hi Chris –

We do a variation of the caprese salad at our house, we add balsamic reduction. It is a bit sweeter and higher in carbs, but if you’re not eating too much it is a really nice taste.

Q

(Todd Allen) #12

My wife and I grow a lot of cherry tomatoes. We halve them and dry them in a food dehydrator to the texture of a moist raisin and then freeze them in ziplocks. They keep well this way and remain super versatile, useable in salads and cooked dishes. The flavor is enhanced and they are superior for egg dishes, pizza and other things where the moisture of fresh tomatoes tends to be excessive. Being small they thaw quick and I like being able to readily use small portions as often a full size tomato is more carbs than I want in a meal.

(Chris) #13

Nice idea, I think Ill give that a try after I harvest tonight. One cherry tomato plant is a lifetime supply