What to do now the FaceBook group is closing down

(Richard Morris) #1

#Think Globally, Act locally

As you know we’re shuttering the 2 KetoDudes closed FaceBook group after 9 months of just incredible growth. We’ve outgrown FaceBook, and have moved to a new platform to build out infrastructure to support a grassroots revolution that our podcast has grown into.

We spoke to the creator of the Forum software in Episode #47 - Getting off FaceBook

We all know the peak bodies have failed us. The American Diabetes association, Diabetes Australia, the USDA, The Dietitians Ass. of Australia, the Association of Dietitians of South Africa … they are all actively fighting AGAINST a dietary strategy for defeating type 2 diabetes – THAT WORKS.

They have decided to be part of the problem, not the solution.

Change will NOT happen from the top.

##We have to make it happen from the grassroots up.

So what we propose is instead of the 12,000+ users of our current FaceBook group all going to one massive FaceBook group where information gets swamped … we all as a group start tens of thousands of regional groups all acting locally with friends and family first and then others in our local communities. FaceBook functions really well to organize small intimate groups - let’s take advantage of that.

We are building a searchable resource for information, as well as forums for discussing strategies.

So here’s some ideas for how to start a Group for your region

1. Start a closed group on facebook
  2. Feel free to announce it here - but share it on FB or twitter
  3. Invite locals to join in
  4. Begin discussion and come up with some actions
  5. Organize a MEATUP (perhaps at http://meetups.com)
  6. Visit diabetics and cook for them - show them what a pleasant WOE this is.
  7. Work with local health care centers to help diabetics
  8. Take the message to schools/teachers/influencers
  9. Share your experience
  10. Call your congress critter, write them - put it on their agenda
  11. Get the word out - Diabetes can be reversed

And feel free to share ideas on things that have worked, here in #community:activism

@carl and @richard and the admins of the KetogenicForums are linked in with some Low carb resource coordination groups and key influencers in the Low carb community. We can help to publicize your group, try to get you resources, and experts. Get your group up on our community wiki.

Ultimately YOU have to become the leaders of this revolution.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

(Richard Morris) split this topic #2

A post was merged into an existing topic: WIKI: Register of FaceBook Groups with strategic or regional focus

(Richard Morris) split this topic #3

A post was merged into an existing topic: WIKI: Register of FaceBook Groups with strategic or regional focus

(Mark) #4

I had a good feeling about you two dudes, right from the very first podcast and this just proves my instincts were right,you don’t just pay lip service to the giving back message of your show ,you take actionable steps ,and hopefully inspire others to do the same,I would love to help others in my community,and hope we can come up with a way to approach others without seeming like we are trying to sell them something,because some people find it hard to believe that some people want to help others, and expect nothing in return, other than seeing them succeed, this post made my day Richard, may God bless you in all your endeavors

(Mark Myers) #5

@richard or @carl suggested starting a local closed group on Facebook. I think I might do that. Trying to decide how large an area I want to start, statewide? Seems a little much but all depends on what state and how far it is across the state. For my state, I’m thinking maybe Western and Central Virginia. This is where I live rather than Northern and eastern shore of Virginia. I’d like to find some admins and invite some of the Keto “experts” if possible to join in occasionally if possible. Any ideas suggestions?

(Richard Morris) #6

Great idea. I reckon star with your friends, and help coach them on how to give up carbs, they can be your first admins. My experience is the demand for an answer to diabetes is significant - you will attract people.

I for one would love to swing by and answer questions if it’d help.

(Mark Myers) #7

@richard I’ve created a group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185053981570627/ but can’t figure out how to invite people. I can add but I do not want to add people without their acceptance beforehand. Central and Western Virginia Ketoans

(Richard Morris) #8

if you add it to the wiki of groups people in your area can click on it and ask to be accepted

(Mark Myers) #9

@richard is that via wiki or fb?

(Richard Morris) #10

We can turn any Topic on the ketogenic Forums into a WIKI that anyone who has been on the forum for more than about 15 mins can make edits to.

The list of FaceBook groups is just such a topic.

(Mark Myers) #11

@richard Do I need to edit the wiki with html? Not sure how to add my FB group to it.

(Richard Morris) #12

if you have trouble editing the wiki - just leave a reply and one of us will get around to cleaning that wiki every now and then and move things into the wiki

(Mark Myers) #13

https://www.facebook.com/groups/centralandwesternvaketoans/ Central and Western Virginia.

(Richard Morris) #14

added