What those numbers mean on the side of your egg carton

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

How fresh are dem eggs? It’s easy to tell, they stamp it right on the carton.

The P number is the packaging plant, just in case you want to track down a recall or something. Because salmonella sucks.

The 3-digit number is the day of the year (0-365) that the eggs went into that carton. If you’re not a math savant, you can find that here or here.

I don’t know what the rest of the numbers mean, I’m usually chewing some sunny side up by the time I get that far.

(Allie) #2

My eggs don’t come in cartons and they’re always a maximum of a week old :grin:

Two from today…

My eggs come in reused cartons, the eggs themselves have stamps on them :slight_smile: I don’t care about most of it, only the first number that is for the hen keeping method.

Well the best eggs come in reused cartons without stamps, of course :slight_smile: But the egg lady complains about costs and it seems she doesn’t want to raise the price too much so she just won’t keep hens for much longer. It was odd to see stamps on the eggs but I am pretty used to it at that point.

I looked it up, there is no info about the date but it’s fine with me as I don’t really care. They sell it fresh enough and I only store is for a few weeks in the cupboard and it seems to work perfectly. I never have more than 200 eggs at a time and that disappears before it could spoil and I never noticed the freshness matters (I just know they peel even harder than normal eggs when hard boiled but I always simply use the oldest eggs I have anyway).

I heard about salmonella so, so many times… Never met it, it must be rare…