What the

(Consensus is Politics) #1

Maybe this has been talked about before, or products like it. This claims to be ‘Paleo Friendly’. I know that doesnt make it Keto friendly, but still, wtf? I would stay away from this just because I’m diabetic. Not to mention looks like it would kick me out of Keto.

The product is “PreBiotic+™ Resistant Starch Complex”

(VLC.MD) #2

There were no plastic scoops in the Paleolithic era !

Paleo/ancestral eating is not about historical re-enactment.

I haven’t played around with resistant starches recently, and opinions vary wildly about one of the ingredients - potato starch - but my guess is that these starches would not in fact kick you out of ketosis. They feed the gut bacteria (more than they feed us directly) so the net carbs are pretty low.
More here if you’re curious.

(VLC.MD) #5

:slight_smile:
I like that.

But it definitely isn’t about 18g starch per scoop either !

And what is all this ?

I don’t know much about the last of those starches, but there’s plenty of research on resistant starches in general, and many ancestral diets were likely much higher in resistant starch. It’s an interesting topic re: gut health. Here’s a big section from the article linked above (but the multiple links to research didn’t copy over - too advanced for me :slight_smile:

What Are the Health Benefits of Consuming RS?

What does the research say?

Preferentially feeds “good” bacteria responsible for butyrate production. It even promotes greater butyrate production than other prebiotics. Since the resident gut flora produce the butyrate, and everyone has different levels of the different flora, the degree of butyrate production varies according to the individual, but resistant starch consistently results in lots of butyrate across nearly every subject who consumes it. Butyrate is crucial because it’s the prime energy source of our colonic cells (almost as if they’re designed for steady exposure to butyrate!), and it may be responsible for most of the other RS-related benefits._

*Improves insulin sensitivity. Sure enough, it improves insulin sensitivity, even in people with metabolic syndrome._

Improves the integrity and function of the gut. Resistant starch basically increases colonic hypertrophy, making it more robust and improving its functionality. It also inhibits endotoxin from getting into circulation and reduces leaky gut, which could have positive ramifications on allergies and autoimmune conditions._

Lowers the blood glucose response to food. One reason some people avoid even minimal amounts of carbohydrate is the blood glucose response; theirs is too high. Resistant starch lowers the postprandial blood glucose spike. This reduction may also extend to subsequent meals._

Reduces fasting blood sugar. This is one of the most commonly mentioned benefits of RS, and the research seems to back it up._

Increases satiety. In a recent human study, a large dose of resistant starch increased satiety and decreased subsequent food intake._

May preferentially bind to and expel “bad” bacteria. This is only preliminary, but there?s evidence that resistant starch may actually treat small intestinal bacterial overgrowth by ?flushing? the pathogenic bacteria out in the feces. It’s also been found to be an effective treatment for cholera when added to the rehydration formula given to patients; the cholera bacteria attach themselves to the RS granules almost immediately for expulsion._

Enhances magnesium absorption. Probably because it improves gut function and integrity, resistant starch increases dietary magnesium absorption._

What do user anecdotes say?

Improves body composition. I’ve heard reports of lowered body fat and increased lean mass after supplementing with or increasing dietary intake of RS. Seeing as how RS consumption promotes increased fat oxidation after meals, this appears to be possible or even likely._

Improves thyroid function. Many RS supplementers have noted increases in body temperature, a rough indicator of thyroid function._

_Improves sleep, conferring the ability to hold and direct (in real time) private viewings of vivid movie-esque dreams throughout the night. I’ve noticed this too and suspect it has something to do with increased GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) from the increased butyrate. Another possibility is that resistant starch is feeding serotonin-producing gut bacteria, and the serotonin is being converted to melatonin when darkness falls._

_Increases mental calm. Many people report feeling very “zen” after increasing RS intake, with reductions in anxiety and perceived stress. The latest science indicates that our gut flora can impact our brain, and specific probiotics are being explored as anti-anxiety agents, so these reports may very well have some merit._

Are There Any Downsides?

For all the success stories, the message boards are also rife with negative reactions to RS. They take it, maybe too much to start, and get gas, bloating, cramping, diarrhea or constipation, a sense of “blockage,” headaches, and even heartburn. I think RS supplementation may be a good measuring stick for the health of your gut. Folks with good gut function tend to respond positively, while people with compromised guts respond poorly. The gas, bloating, cramps and everything else are indicators that your gut needs work. But it’s not the “fault” of resistant starch, per se.

(VLC.MD) #7

So people actually believe that Potato starch does any of this ?

Carbs spike insulin. Potato starch is a carb.
If it reduces fasting blood sugar it’s because insulin is storing all the glucose and making you fat.

Resistant Starch might be better than Starch.
But that’s missing the point.

10% less of “way too much” is still too much.

This is not about eating more potatoes, and resistant starches do not spike insulin. If you’re curious about what makes something a resistant starch, take a look at the links in the article. I don’t think “believe” is the correct verb here; there’s a ton of anecdote and a fair amount of research (and logic) to support those statements.
Once folks are well-versed in the basics of resistant starches, the questions are usually about the particular gut bacteria that are fed by different starches. Potato starch in particular is controversial because one of the scientists whose done the most research on gut bacteria and pre-biotic fibers really hates it b/c of the bugs she says it feeds, while others swear by it.

(VLC.MD) #9

They have to by definition.
or then they would be called fiber.

Resistant starch is not Keto.

In their rhetorical language, they reduce insulin resistance by spiking insulin less than usual starch. “Less insulin resistance” (than usual starch).

Getting rid of starch is the solution. Not a “maybe” 10% less dangerous version.

(VLC.MD) #10

Round_resistant_food_chart-600x301[1]

@Marty_Kendall - Does resistant starch spike insulin ?

@Madeleine - It’s easy to be mislead by the rhetorical language. Articles are almost always written with a particular bias.

I could be wrong. I only heard the term after you mentioned it. It sounds like a term made by a Marketing Team or something. I love being wrong. Because that’s when I know I actually learned something !

stick-figure-t-shirts-men-s-premium-t-shirt[1]

(Randy) #11

(VLC.MD) #12

And there I’m wrong already !

Cool. That’s why you’re here, right? :slight_smile: Take a look at some of the studies and let me know what you think.

The chart you linked to shows the grams of resistant starch within those foods. Many whole foods have - along with a lot of insulin-spiking carbs - also resistant starches that feed our gut bacteria. (I’m not sure why you posted the chart - to ask about that?) But for folks whose gut biome needs boosting and who are very sensitive to carbs, it can be helpful to have the starches themselves without the carbs, thus the kinds of supplemental powders at the top of the thread.

I find this an interesting area but I’m not particularly advocating the use of supplemental resistant starches. Many folks suggest that our gut bacteria adjusts to the (generally) lower fiber of keto and can be equally healthy; it’s just a different profile of bugs.

(Doug) #14

There was no Surgeon General, either. You know they partied hard.

(Consensus is Politics) #15

Thats the look I had on my face this morning when I blended my butter/coconut oil coffee, HOT.

Air expands a lot from room temp of about 70 degrees to roughly 200 degrees when the blender kicks in and dumps tons of coffee heat into the small amount of air in the container. Coffee go BOOM! Big bada boom. The seal blew out and I got about 3 ounces of very hot coffee all over the place.

(VLC.MD) #16

So in a potato, our example, are there two types of starches ?
Regular potato starch and
Resistant potato starch ?

This list has potatoes at 64% insulinogenic with an insulin load (g/100g) at 26. Those are pretty high.

Would you rather eat 900g of blackberries or 100g of potatoes ? Same insulin load.

@VLC.MD

Yes, pretty much. Some foods are high in resistant starch when they’re raw or unripe. Raw potato, green banana = good sources of resistant starch; cooked potato = terrible (as you indicated); cooked and cooled = decent source of resistant starch but I would imagine you’re still getting some insulin response.

In any case, no one here is suggesting eating potatoes. From Dr Eenfeldt:

The beauty of resistant starch is that it doesn’t break down to glucose. It isn’t broken down at all in the body, but instead it becomes food for the gut microbiome in the colon. The gut bacteria digest the resistant starch into short-chain fatty acids, which are absorbed by the body.

Therefore, resistant starch will not act as a carbohydrate. Instead, it is food for gut bacteria and what your body absorbs has been converted into fat.

Resistant starch is in reality LCHF – low carb, high fat – with food for the gut flora as a bonus.

Feeding the good gut bacteria – and the cells of the intestinal lining – seems to be able to affect hormone levels in the body (GLP-1 etc.), that in turn has an effect on blood sugar regulation and insulin sensitivity.

It seems also to be beneficial to ensure that gut bacteria and cells get adequate nutrition. Our ancestors no doubt did so, as there are plenty of sources of resistant starch in nature.

That’s from this article if you’re curious.

He goes on:

The easiest way to eat a lot of resistant starch – free from regular starch – turns out to be cold potato starch. Not very yummy, but a couple of tablespoons stirred in water, per day, seems to be enough for a positive impact.

It may be wise to start with less and increase gradually to reduce the risk of a side effect: gas. Also note that you shouldn’t heat the potato starch – then it will be converted to regular starch that raises your blood sugar.

Those who are not carbohydrate sensitive – for example lean, healthy, exercising people – have more possibilities:

Resistant starch – along with plenty of regular starch – are found for example in beans, lentils and peas.
A lesser portion of the starch in a boiled potato or boiled rice is converted to resistant starch if it’s allowed to cool before being eaten.
Raw potatoes or green, unripe bananas are also possibilities.

Another article with more detailed science (and you’ll probably understand it better than I do!) is here. There’s a long list of studies cited in that one, and improving insulin resistance seems to be a recurring theme.

(Doug) #18

Robert, that is interesting; I’d never thought of that happening. Yes - right about 25% expansion, with only one way to get out…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

:clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

Yes, would be true if resistant starch were just less of something else.

resistant starch =/= starch in how the body processes it and one of the main LC drs calls it not just LC but LCHF

But - whatever, I don’t even take RS myself; I was just answering the original poster’s question, and thought it might be an intestesting discussion. @VLC.MD if you find out what RS is, I’d be curious to hear your take on it (because it functions like soluble fiber but I don’t think you can use the terms interchangeably). It’s not a marketing term - or at least it wasn’t until it got lots of press a few years ago - and it has a strong ancestral basis.