What should I do with these Wagyu Patties?

beef
cooking

(Jacob Wagner) #1

I ran into a pack of two frozen 1/2 lb Wagyu Patties today while browsing at a butcher shop, so naturally I got them.

I know I could make them edible, but does anyone have any tips for preparing such fine meat to make the best of it?

–Jacob

(Stickin' with mammoth) #2

First and most importantly, what’s your address?

Just kidding.

I, personally, wouldn’t mess too much with the meat, itself. Just cook it gently as a burger so you can really savor the goodness on its own. Then add stuff on the side like mushrooms sauteed in butter, sweet onions carmelized in bacon fat, or brussels sprouts fried in olive oil and minced garlic. And cheese. Some Gorgonzola melted over the top of any of those sides would send it right into orbit.

(Sophie) #3

…and your address is? :laughing: I’ll bring whatever, promise!!! :grin:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

You’d have to bring all of it, I’m poor as a middle school teacher and twice as nuts.

(Linda Culbreth) #5

That’s not something we get in Missouri in the USA - that I’m sure of. So, what is it?

(Jacob Wagner) #6

Sorry, I am a newbie. I have no idea how to do that.

–Jacob

(Jacob Wagner) #7

Wagyu is meat from a special breed (actually 4 of them) of Japanese beef, but raised outside of Japan. The ones raised within Japan are called Kobe.

The cattle are genetically predisposed to have a lot of marbling and are fed grains to increase their fattiness. The Dudes have referred to it as, “beef flavored fat.”

–Jacob

You don’t know how to cook patties as burgers? I’m not sure I follow…?

(Sheri Knauer) #9

Did I miss the dinner party? What was that address?? I’ll bring the keto ice cream…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #10

People are touchy about how their meat is handled. That didn’t sound right. Anyway, here’s what I would do as a non-grill-owner.

Divide each of the 1/2# patties into 1/4# patties and very gently shape them to the thickness you want.

Arrange them about an inch apart in a baking dish (you can line it with aluminum foil for easy clean up) that’s at least 9x9" in dimension and make a divot in the center of each patty that almost goes down to the bottom of the dish. (It’ll cook more evenly and expand to fill this hole by the time it’s done. If you like things rare, skip this part.)

Stick the dish in the oven on the middle rack and cook about 15 minutes at 350 F, then turn them all over and cook the rest of the way to the done-ness you prefer (depending on how thick you make them, it could be 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes). You can cut one patty open to check inside periodically (sacrificial patty). If you want melted cheese on top, add it during the very last couple of minutes of cooking.

When they’re done, scoop them all into a heat proof container right away and then pour the drippings over the top or save it in another heat-proof container. You can freeze them for later but I have a feeling they’ll be gone in a few days–Om, nom, nom!

(Make all my sauteed toppings suggestions above by chopping things so that they’re no more than 1/2" thick, adding 1 - 2 tablespoons of the fat to each cup of the chopped stuff, and stirring slowly on low-med heat in a saucepan until things look and taste the way you want. You’ll know things are carmelized when they turn a light brown and start to taste and smell sweet.)

(Linda Culbreth) #11

Thanks. Makes my mouth water…

(Becky) #12

Great directions! I’m an experienced cook and yet have never cooked a burger in the oven. I’m going to try your method out. I’m hoping it will reduce the smoke filled kitchen I get when frying my burgers stovetop.

(Jacob Wagner) #13

Close, I am saying I don’t know how to do it well.

Thank you for that.

How would you do it stove top?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #14

Depends on how you like 'em. I’m surprised you haven’t asked Google, it knows more about burgers than all of us combined.

(Becky) #15

Cooking on the stovetop smokes up my kitchen, so you may want to open your windows wide and turn on a fan, but it gives a great char to the burger. I use a heavy bottom frying pan. This is for a medium rare burger. Heat up the empty pan on medium high heat, while seasoning the burger with salt and pepper on both sides. I might skip this next step for your specialty burgers, but next I salt the empty pan before placing the burger in the pan. Salt the topside of the burger again and DON’T press it down! Watch for the bottom edges to begin to brown. Again, don’t touch it, just wait till you see cooked edges near the pan. Then using a spatula, flip it,DONT press it…lol! Again wait to see the bottom edge turn brown. Now you have a nice charred crust on both sides of your burger, but it will be bloody pink in the middle. If you want it cooked more, turn down the heat to medium or low and cover the pan for a minute or two depending on how well done you want it.