What should blood glucose be at when in ketosis?

intermittentfasting
protein
bloodglucose

(Marius Solberg) #1

Hello! My name is Marius, from Norway. I am totally new to keto, and also new to this forum. :slight_smile:

I am now entering my second week with a ketogentic diet, and I have to say that I really enjoy it, even though I am sure the true benefits havent really turned up yet. I was intermittent fasting for a couple of weeks before I decided to begin my keto life, and fasting is still something I do every day, mainly because of the increase in growth hormones. So I think I might have an advantage considering the whole adaptation phase. But even though I feel quite fine, and I have a better mental clarity, along with less hunger, I have a few questions.

I am a bit concerned that I am not really in ketosis, but that my body is just running low carb. I know its not really accurate to use ketostix, but I am using the ketostix before bedtime, and I never get more than “moderate”. Since I am fasting 20 hours a day, and weight lifting in the fasting window, maybe I am using all my ketones? I am not sure how that works.

Another thing I am wondering about, is what level my blood glucose should be at. I have no idea what level it ideally should be at when you are in ketosis. Last night, after fasting for 20 hours I measured before my first meal, it was at 4,9mmol/L, and today one hours after eating it was just the same, 4,9mmol/L, or 86,4mg/dL. I read somewhere that the blood glucose should be under 3mmol/L, if not you are not in ketosis. Is this right? Considering my blood glucose is very stable, in my mind I would think I am slowly beginning to run mainly on fat, but I am not sure. You have any thoughts about this? I would appreciate any feedback, as I am a keto newbee.

My macros are 20 grams net carbs, 119 grams of protein and around 250 grams of fat. I use MyFitnessPal, and it shows a 5%,15% and 80% in the macros, so that should be okay, even though I am not sure about my protein level, if its too high or not. I am 22, very active, and weight lift every day, so I think 119g proteins pr day is not too high, but again, I am a newbee, so maybe it is?

(Bunny) #2

(Naomi Brewster) #3

It sounds alright Norwegianof95 - you can experiment to see what the effect of having less protein or more protein etc but the range you are in is ok and may come down over time. It takes the body a while to adapt. It would be interesting to know what your BG readings were before IF and LC but we often don’t start testing until we dive down the keto rabbit hole. When I first started 8 months ago my first tests were 5.1, 4.9, 4.8 etc. These days I’m surprised if I much above 4.1 and sometimes get readings for 3.7 but I’m older, fatter and more sedentary than you. Everyone is different. Well done and good luck