What Scale Should I Buy to Measure Lean Muscle Mass While Fasting

I need to buy a new scale. Is there any one under $200 (preferably under $100) that really tells you your body fat percentage and lean muscle mass in real time? Not just based on an algorithm of what 1000 people my size and weight have (such as the Tatiant scale as understand it, if I am wrong please correct me). I enjoy fasting but I am always afraid that I will lose bone, calcium or muscle (I know I have read the science!) I have started feeling shorter lately but that may just be my kids growing or paranoia. I have started to take calcium when I fast which I am not too comfortable with as the studies for SAD women do not support this. Example

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4580

I do not want to rely on tape measures or calipers because I am not comfortable having anyone else measure me and when I did measure I noticed it really depended on where you put the tape measure to get an accurate reading. Plus I like scales! Dexa scan is not an option for me. Also, it would not tell me what is happening that week as I am fasting or immediately after a fast.

One other thing, I would like my weigh in information kept private from other family members, is that possible? However that is a lower priority than being able to accurately calculate lean muscle

(Chris) #2

Those things cannot accurately measure lean body mass. Do yourself a favor and save your money! The calipers and tapes will actually work better, though not perfect. Why is DEXA not an option?

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

If you are female, you can’t get an accurate BMI from a scale, I have the Tanita scale I got one when it was the only smart scale out there and the booklet that came with it states that it is not 100% accurate for women.

Also if your feet don’t have enough moisture, even men will get an incorrect reading. Don’t have to be wet, but you need to be well hydrated when you step on it, and first thing in the morning you probably are not at a good hydration level.

I wish I had a reason to buy a new scale, but mine still matchs up with my dr. office to within .1 lb. I’d love to get my weight auto recorded via wifi so I could do extensive weight trending.

Check the coupon deals in your area, a lot of DEXA scan places give deep discounts with those these days. I plan to get one done within the next couple of months. I hit maintenance end of April, so would like to establish a base line with a DEXA, so I don’t gain back what I have fought so hard to loss.

Good luck!

What would you buy?

I have a Fitbit that I am still debating on. The lack of waterproofness drives me nuts as I take it off to shower and then do not put it back on

I am not big on seeing my weight trend, it is really the body composition that is a concern right now

Isn’t having tons of science to back the fact that you are losing fat and gaining lean mass while fasting enough? Why measure?

Cause I really do feel like I am getting shorter and I have more hanging skin off my arms than I have ever had including when I previously did a mediterranian diet and got to this weight!

Some of the science is inconsistent and the anecdotal stories are inconsistent and n=1 so even if it works for others, I want to know that I am losing fat and gaining muscle

With the Dexa, aside from the having to go all medical which is not what I want in the middle of summer, it is the delay. I have no baseline so I would have to get 2 scans to know what is happening. The second scan would be a couple of months later. I figure I need a new scale anyway, why not get something that will help me to determine body composition on a more immediate level

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

I have been using a Fitbit’s Charge devices for about 3 years now. So I would probably go with their Fitbit scale as well, so the apps etc. will run slightly smoother together. Plus Trendweight.com plugs into Fitbit.com so information flows freely to there. But the scale I have is working too well to justify the purchase of a new scale.

Have you checked out the Flex 2 or the Alta?
from fitbit.com:
Can I swim or shower with my tracker?

All Fitbit trackers are water-resistant, which means they are rain-proof and splash-proof and can stand up to even the sweatiest workout. Do not swim or shower with your tracker unless noted below:

The Fitbit Flex 2 is swim and shower proof.
The Fitbit Alta is shower proof.

Thank you

I originally bought it to track sleep for a family member, who used it for a week and was no longer interested. It provides good information on that. The Alta and the Flex 2 do not do that as well. The Alta tracks some but not all. I like having a watch so the Flex 2 is out. I would prefer the Alta as it is more feminine and narrower but some of the features are not the same

I am a bit of a swimmer so really would love to have a true waterproof tracker. I think they are still evolving so will see

So you’ve seen credible science that shows people doing IF are burning muscle as opposed to fat stores? I thought that had been debunked on here and many other places time and time again? Maybe I’m not following.

I have no interest in getting into a debate. I am simply asking for recommendations that will help me determine in real time (as opposed to two months down the road with dexa) that I am losing fat and nothing else using a scale or some other reasonably priced tool beyond a tape measure

If there is no such tool then fine but since I need a new scale why not get recommendations

Not debating at all. I find not owning a scale is liberating is all.

(Chris W) #12

FWIW, Consumer Reports did a Body Fat Scale Test in early 2016. They found that none of the scales was very accurate with regards to body fat calculation, but the Fitbit scale was rated slightly more accurate than the others. That said, there are other scales that while they had poorer accuracy on body fat, they had better repeatability. Based on how you have described what you want to use it for, the repeatability may be more important than the absolute accuracy of the number. All of that said, the testing did not discuss the technology behind the body fat measurement for each scale, so it’s entirely possible that the ones that are the most consistent are just using an algorithm as you described in the original post (Tanita had fair accuracy, with excellent repeatability. Fitbit had good accuracy, with very good repeatability.)

(Allie) #13

Save your money and get a tape measure.

(Jason Fletcher) #14

I have use the skulpt for body fat. it is about $100 and i would say try it don’t like it return it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

Another forum that I frequent had this posted a while back, there is a company that makes leggings that measures you. I know nothing about this product except that some people are using it because they can’t measure themselves accurately.

(John) #16

I have one of the fancy body fat scales; at my heaviest I was showing 28% body fat, now that I lost 60 pounds and put on some muscle it is showing 34%.

Ok will not get that one! Which is it?

(Zu) #18

Would be interested to see if the scales gave a diff measurement from callipers… Would be a good experiment

(Caio Braga) #19

Agree with Dread. I have been using a FitBit Aria scale. It is great for weight tracking since it sync with the watch and app. Not good to measure fat though, if you are obessed with short term variations. For a clear picture you should get DEXA. From my research is not that expensive provided you dont get obessed as well.

Thank you @Caio_Braga

Dexa is not an option for me under any circumstances for reasons not worth going into.

So assuming I have no one to help me measure (not comfortable having someone poke or prod or measure) and I need a new scale anyway and within reason (let say under $250) money is not an issue what should I get?

I ended up keeping the FitBit Charge 2 if that matters