What Scale Should I Buy to Measure Lean Muscle Mass While Fasting

(Caio Braga) #21

Good luck and wish you success in achieving your goals

This might be unrelated, but I bought this scale and it’s awesome:

EatSmart Precision Digital Bathroom Scale with Extra Large Lighted Display

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rr6.zb5R8407S

I have a WeightGurus Bluetooth scale. It syncs via its own app with Android and iOS devices. It tracks weight, %BF, muscle mass, BMI, bone and %water. It graphs these for 7 days, month, year, and all time. It also imports data into MyFitnessPal and Fitbit apps. It’s about $60 on Amazon.

If you have home wifi and your scale doesn’t need to travel with you, there are smart scales that are even more convenient, connecting to your network (without the finickyness of BT) and automatically uploading the data. The Withings WS-50 would be my choice, but it’s considerably more expensive than WeightGuru.

Thank you @Caio_Braga, @Nebulous , @4dml for the suggestions.

My requirements are first that it is accurate!

That my weight stays private from the other members of my family who may use the scale. (This is probably my most important requirement)

It will not move from my bathroom but I do not have room for anything huge like a doctors scale

I would like it to track body fat and lean muscle mass. It is not the body fat that I care about but I worry about losing bone density and lean muscle through fasting. Even though I know it is a myth, I would hate to find out in 5 years that it is not

Why?

BIA scales are great for tracking trends, but they aren’t necessarily very accurate. If you’re worried about bone density, get a DEXA scan every year. If you’re the type motivated by data, get one every quarter. This is overkill, but some of us are more compulsive than others. :blush:

My weight is and has always been a state secret, especially from my family. I also tend to look like I weight less than I actually do because I think I can be muscular

@4dml I have no plans to get a Dexa scan I really do not want anything to do with conventional medicine. I am ok with something that tracks trends.

Anyone think I should get the Aria 2 since I have a Fitbit?

Seem to be in limbo a little at 7 months Keto. As of two weeks ago I had lost 1 lb since mid September but the person I met today who had last seen me then said I looked thinner or better since then. I can no longer go based on clothing because I am in a bit of a no man’s land. Anything I bought after my kids were born (oldest are in college) is loose or does not fit. Anything before then is two or more sizes smaller and is way too small does not fit and was out of style many years ago. I finally had to shop this weekend as I needed the mom version of cocktail attire for some events last weekend and this weekend. Everything was a size smaller than the smallest dress in my closet (other than a couple of items that I had never worn and are out of style), having been purchased in the last century.

I have never been very accurate with a tape measure move it an inch higher or lower and it changes. I own a regular scale but lately have not been happy with what it says so I ignore it now however if there was something that was accurate on body composition that would be great. I have been exercising for the last two weeks and wonder if that is helping

Scales use bioelectrical impedance to estimate bodyfat. Depending on how much your body differs from their algorithm, it may or may not be very accurate. My scale under estimates my bodyfat by 7 points compared to my DEXA scan. So while it’s not accurate, it’s very useful for ascertaining trends. I can see my bodyfat % going down (and occasionally up) on a daily basis.

(Jennifer) #30

I was pretty surprised that mine was with within +/- 1% of my DEXA scan results. I figure mine is pretty accurate and I will test it again 6 months.

And if anyone wants to know, this is the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Products-Precision-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004L6NTHU