What pain / cold meds while fasting?

medication

(Larry Lustig) #1

I’m 20 hours fasted and coming down with a cold. I just popped a couple of ibuprofen to help me get through the rest of the day. But I don’t think one is supposed to take ibuprofen on an empty stomach.

What’s the best cold / fever reliever to take while fasted?

I’m also sick with a cold. :cry: I’ve been taking Tylenol because the body aches have been so bad. It’s not ideal, but I can’t sleep because everything hurts. I also popped a Zyrtec this morning to deal with nasal symptoms. I have some Sudafed, but I’m already jittery from fasting so I’m scared to take it.

Beyond that I have a bunch of tea and a neti pot. Hydrate!

I hope you feel better!

Edit: I’ve been fasting for around 90 hours and agree ibuprofen is not ideal on an empty tummy.

(matt ) #3

Just remember that Tylenol is a punch to the liver.

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

Generic sudafed + generic mucinex + naproxen = best cold coctail yet.

I know! It sucks. I’m miserable though. :mask::frowning:

I have GERD, so try to avoid NSAIDs especially on an empty stomach.

(Meeping up the Science!) #7

NAproxen is optional. It helps with the systemic inflammation and makes it more comfortable. Main things are sudafed and mucinex.

(Richard Morris) #8

Sometimes it’s just time to abandon your fast and do it another time. It’s happened to all of us at some point. Maybe you’ve gone to the gym and you’ve just overdone it and are feeling shaky like Brenda did after 1 day a month ago, or maybe you’re losing too much weight as I was after 10 days 2 months ago. There will always be another opportunity.

If I had a cold I would probably try tea and a NSAID like paracetamol. Then if I was still feeling horrid I’d make a chicken broth which would stop autophagy while you were digesting the protein in it but wouldn’t be a feast so you would be able to get back to fasting quickly.

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

What happens to autophagy during infection, anyway? I… actually don’t know! I MUST FIND OUT.

(Richard Morris) #10

… and you must return bearing information - YAY

(Meeping up the Science!) #11

I will download a copy when I get home: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118677641.html

Free excerpt with some interesting stuff: http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/41/11186776/1118677641-14.pdf

I have always found paracetamol based meds the best for a cold. I have to be careful using NSAIDs due to my gastric sleeve so tend to avoid them anyway.

(jketoscribe) #13

I personally don’t take ANYTHING when I have a cold. It’s my belief that OTC meds interfere with your body’s natural response to the virus and just prolong it. I do feel terrible for a day or two, but I get over it faster and with much less chance of it progressing to my lungs and triggering asthma.

I drown the bugs in broth and tea. I only give in and take Tylenol or ibuprofen if I have a fever that goes over 102.

My mom used to load me up with everything OTC and I’d be sick for weeks!