What normal salad dressings (that you would find at a normal restaurant) are low-carb?

(Phelps) #1

Hi,

I know there are tons of recipes out there for low-carb dressings… But my question is:

What salad dressings (that you would find at a normal restaurant) are low-carb? I know no one can speak to what every restaurant is using. But sometimes I find myself at work, and need a quick bite- I’m not going to go to a fancy/healthy restaurant and spend $15+ on a salad. I’m no cook and I’m not making my own dressings either.

So if I call the sub-shop next door and order a grilled chicken salad, and I order the normal dressing, which are the ones to watch out for and which are LIKELY to be low-carb? I love Balsamic vinaigrette dressing but is it sugary? Ceasar is great but does it have high carbs? Italian? I’m assuming the creamy ones are hi-carbs. But if you try searching “is Ceasar dressing hi-carb?”, all the results are “how to make lo-carb Ceasar”. Which is not my question. My question is, which of the normal dressings you’d get at a normal not-super-healthy restaurant are low carb? (I know you can make low-carb versions but that’s not my question…) I can eat the salad with just the meat but it’s nice to add a little flavor too.

I’m guessing Italian viagrette might be ok but I have no idea. (I’m also assuming teriyaki for meats is hi-carbs too)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you and best of luck to all!

(MelissaH) #2

Most creamy dressings are fine… like ceasar, blue cheese, ranch, etc. I’d just stay away from sugary dressings like raspberry vinaigrette

(Phelps) #3

Thanks!

(KetoQ) #4

As the previous post mentioned the creamy ones are generally fine. But can be a bit carby or sugary.

Caesars 1 tbsp / .9 carbs
Ranch 15g 1 tbsp / 1 carb
Blue cheese 1 tbsp 17g / 4.4 carbs
Balsamic vinaigrette / 1 tbsp / 2.7 carbs

The problem with caesar’s is not the dressing, it’s the croutons that provide the carbs. Beware of balsamic reduction which is much sweeter (and delicious), and that I like to drizzle over a caprese salad.

(Phelps) #5

Thanks. Yeah I skip the croutons, for sure. I’m happy to hear that Caesars is pretty good!

Most places add sugar or honey to vinaigrettes, unfortunately. Caesar is pretty safe across the board. Some places (I’m looking at you, Texas Roadhouse) add something to their ranch that makes it more carby, but other places don’t, so ranch can be tricky.

(Phelps) #8

Ha true that! “Let me have a salad with extra sugar!”

(Phelps) #9

Ok, great thanks! I’ll stick to Caesar! (my preference anyway)

(Phelps) #10

Anyone have an idea if Teriyaki is hi-carb? (not for salads but for meat)

Thanks!

(MelissaH) #11

hope this,helps! Has added sugar so
Use sparingly

(Phelps) #12

Thanks!

(matt ) #13

The blue cheese in my fridge which is Marie’s is 1 g of carb for 28 g

(matt ) #14

Though I’m sure the blue cheese at most restaurants that arent higher-end are pretty crappy stuff like Kens

(Mike Glasbrener) #15

Yeah, the one in my fridge is less than 1carb per 2 tbsp.

(Alex) #16

i’m in my 7th week of keto and spent the first six weeks looking for good salad dressing options also… and just last week, i discovered one of the tastiest and healthiest combos is simply olive oil and red wine vinegar due to someone suggesting it through this site! most cream-based dressings i’ve found in stores tend to have undesireable ingredients in them, and i’m not motivated enough to make my own dressing. simply mix a tbsp of each with 2 or 3 cups of your favorite greens / toppings and you’re set :slight_smile: i love ranch and caesar dressing, but i genuinely enjoy the oil / vinegar combo just as much, if not more. super cheap, and vinegar is also supposed to be great for controlling blood-sugar levels. coconut oil works as well instead of olive, and may even be a better option for helping with weight loss, but it doesn’t taste quite as good. hope this helps!

(Alex) #17

and also, balsamic vinegar does tend to have sugar / carbs, while both red and white wine vinegar carry zeros across the board!

(Phelps) #18

Thank you, very helpful!